"Batman" (Adam West TV show) on DVD Update

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Very interesting, John, thanks for posting this link.

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It would clear one hurdle, but I'm afraid we are still a long way off from seeing this get an official release.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad...one of my favorite shows as a kid. sad the only thing we have on DVD is the movie...and the reunion movie!

5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Mine too Michael. Batman, along with maybe the Wonder Years and a couple of others, would be the most sought after show that has yet to see any kind of official DVD release. If they ever work it out I'm sure it would be a huge seller. You would think that would motivate them even if nothing else does.

6. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

After reading that I would be surprised if it is ever released on any format! Holy Crap,
    Batman! My kids and I are really looking forward to seeing the series but I guess we will have to stick to the movie for now.

Thanks for the update.
    rick

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Boy, thats a mess and a half!

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member Thread Starter

Indeed! My head hurt after reading about all the legal entanglements and complications.

9. il pleut

il pleut New Member

you'd think it would be in everyone's interest to negotiate all this b.s. and get those shows out there making money...

even a good idea like copyright becomes a bad idea in the hands of idiots.

10. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Why was the 1966 movie allowed to be released on DVD?

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

From the linked article

12. Michael

I'll bet we don't see any Batman TV on DVD for at least 5 years...:realmad:

do you have the movie & the reunion movie?

13. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks for the link, we can only hope this materialises.

Simon :)

14. Michael

don't hold your breath...

when and if they finally do put it out it'll probably be split seasons, fake widescreen, edited, music removed or changed, etc...

it's all a game...

look what they did to the Fugitive Season 2 PART 1!

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Even if it does appear on DVD (or Blu-ray), the legal delays have seriously damaged the market demand. The number people who will purchase it decreases exponentially, the longer they take to release it for home video. This is a case where both 20th Fox and WB have cut off their noses to spite their faces. At one time this series could have been one of the best selling home videos ever.

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

They mentioned the Green Hornet in the article as being in a similar situation, But I bought a VHS from Goodtimes of some Hornet episodes. How?

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Gray market. Marketed as "Public Domain". These companies gambled that the actual rights owners wouldn't know, or wouldn't care about their tapes, duped from whatever poor quality syndication prints they were able to acquire.

The same way shows like The Avengers, and Groucho Marx's You Bet Your Life made it to cheap home video years before they were actually licensed. Does anyone really believe that they'd let The Andy Griffith Show slip in to the public domain? :wtf:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  18. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:agree:

19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's a race between Batman and the Beatles remasters to see who can hold out the longest.

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yeah, pretty much. :sigh:

21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Well, about half of the third season is, and one episode edited on the "official" Season 3 release has a song edited which is left in on public domain releases.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

AmericanLifeTV does rerun the 60s Batman TV show and also the Green Hornet.

23. Michael

we may have a tie here, but in the aggravation department The Beatles are ahead by a nose.:D

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Strange but true--they have indeed, as have episodes of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and DICK VAN DYKE, amongst some others. The reason? Someone forgot to file the proper documents way back when, and the rights disapeared.

Look here:

http://www.pdcomedy.com/index.html

25. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I borrowed one of those PD Beverly Hillbillies DVD collections from the library and it looked like it was copied from a copy of an old VHS tape with dropouts, distrortion, horizontal tape rolls - terrible! It even had a different version of the theme song! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.