Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShardEnder

ShardEnder Senior Member Thread Starter

Now we've got an official title and the first sight of Ben Affleck in the Batsuit, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to start a dedicated thread to this Man Of Steel sequel... or is it a Justice League prequel? Either way, it's due in 2016 and there are a few points I'd like to discuss before then:

First of all, it appears that Holly Hunter has been cast in an as-yet-unannounced role, which I suspect may be Supergirl after the previous clues this character may show up - even though I'd been previously worried they may have forgotten her in favour of Wonder Woman. However, there are also rumours she will be playing a female companion to Batman.

Whatever the case, I'm more curious to know if they're really filming this movie along with a full-blown crossover simultaneously, since it's been claimed there could be scheduling conflicts with Ben Affleck that prevent him shooting later. Considering how important he will be, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up happening.

For me, this whole project smacks of desperation on the part of both DC and WB. Despite previously announcing plans for an immediate sequel, it seems as if the powers that be quickly lost faith in continuing the story established with Man Of Steel following its polarisation of the fanbase, preferring to rush into production of this "versus" themed follow-up instead, the delay in its release a further indication of possible haste.

Of course, that's not to say they'll completely ignore the continuity previously set up. We're likely to see at least some more of Henry Cavill as Clark Kent instead of just Superman, since his mother will still be around (in a move that contradicts most previous takes on his back story) along with Perry White. We can also expect Lex Luthor to be in the mix somewhere as well, but I fear this once great villain is going to be a side character.

Actually, I've not even covered all of the names DC are throwing at the proverbial wall in this one. I used to think their intention was to have Batman come out of retirement because he was the only person capable of bringing Superman to justice after he killed General Zod. After serious reconsideration, now I'm convinced they'll really team up - following a brief yet important battle - with the film ending as the Justice League is formed.

Just as Clark Kent was introduced at The Daily Planet right at the end of its predecessor, I believe Batman V Superman is going to conclude on a similar note, leading into the third and final chapter of this intended trilogy in Zack Snyder's darker series, which clearly owes a lot to Christopher Nolan's credit as a producer.

I personally felt the non-linear narrative approach in Man Of Steel wasn't entirely necessary, but this time around it may be a great way of drip-feeding crucial origin details to viewers for Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Supergirl and the many others we can expect, building up to Batman's debut in this universe.

So, having written at length in other threads about this film and its predecessor, I reckon it's time we launched into a proper standalone "fortress of solitude" to prevent any more dilution of innocent discussions. Let the conversation begin!

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Holly Hunter is a fine actress, but they are not going to cast a 56 year old woman to play Supergirl. They would have to at least change the name to Superwoman. :)

3. ShardEnder

I've looked further into the casting of Holly Hunter and it seems her role was created purely for this movie, so it's safe to say she won't be playing Supergirl. A few people think she'll be a love interest for Batman, which makes a lot more sense considering her age. However, there were clues indicating the existence of "Supergirl" in both this film's predecessor and its promotional comic, though I suppose it's possible she's a lot older than Superman - especially as she landed in the Kryptonian scout ship hundreds of years prior to his arrival. SuperWOMAN would technically be a new on-screen character, but I'm starting to worry those behind this project have forgotten that reference was in Man Of Steel to begin with... I really hope (pun intended) Supergirl makes at least a brief cameo, even if the list of featuring DC names is getting a little stretched already!

4. I think it has less to do with desperation and more to do,with $$$. Look how well The Avengers did at the box office and how WB/DC has been a nonstarter as far as showing vision like Marvel has.

lbangs and Vidiot like this.
  5. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Does batman and Superman fight each other ??

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Batman isn't even bright enough to try and kick Bane even once with that fancy leg brace that he put on in The Dark Knight Rises that let him kick through rock. How is he going to figure out how to beat Superman up?

lbangs, Simon A and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex is sketchy, but Gal Gadot as Wonderwoman is just plain awful. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but this movie already looks to be a total mess.
    They will throw too many characters in the flick just to set up Justice League.
    Ben's suit does look cool though...

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I have never read the comics. I want to know as well. How can Batman even stand a chance against Superman. Unless this is a courtroom drama. Due to the order of the title I guess Batman is the plaintiff in this case.

This is like Bambi vs Godzilla.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

They'll just have Endora give him some super powers.

[​IMG]

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I like Robin's thought balloon exposition:laugh:

supermd likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

12. malcolm reynolds

Since they took the s out of Vs. and it is now Batman V Superman this means it is going to be a courtroom drama with Bats suing Supes. Perhaps Wayne Enterprises owned most of the property in Metropolis and is suing Superman for damages.

13. ShardEnder

Another theory I've been reading a lot concerns the exact title of this film - specifically the hint any fight between Superman and Batman may be one of ideologies rather than a physical battle, or perhaps even Bruce Wayne seeking out then legally holding Clark Kent responsible for all of the damage seen in Man Of Steel (presumably including that caused to his satellite). If this is the case, I expect the movie will end on a cliffhanger with both reaching some kind of agreement... probably the establishment of the Justice League, which serves as a perfect link into the planned follow-up!

P.S. On the subject of lawsuits, poor Lex Luthor has many reasons to pursue Clark Kent as well. Just how much of his property did Superman destroy, again?

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

agentalbert likes this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Sounds exactly like the kind of compelling cinema that comic book fans are dying to see!

16. malcolm reynolds

Sounds like that would be as exciting as The Phantom Menacezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :D

Bryan likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think the idea is that Batman would have enough fancy gadgets that he's be able to take down Superman. Maybe he'll sneak up behind him and pull out some kryptonite hand-cuffs.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, the fans hate the title:

“BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE. Coming in September, to Lifetime Networks,” chided Patton Oswalt.

“OK, I just clicked on ‘Dawn of Justice’ in a panic, thinking it was yet another Far Right Group,” said @Scriblit. “Dawn Of Justice sounds like Steven Seagal’s comeback movie,” quipped @DoctorFluxx.

“Dawn of Justice? So THAT’S why Batman looks so sad,” said @ElliottcMorgan, referencing the recently released first look at Ben Affleck’s Batman. (Who, yes, does look pretty down.)

Another user thought “it makes it sound like a direct-to-DVD movie you’d find in a bargain bin,” as The Hollywood Reporter’s Borys Kit tried to remind the displeased masses, “it’s always darkest before dawn (of justice).”

http://wtvr.com/2014/05/21/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-announced-met-with-internet-snark/

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

What's in a title? It doesn't matter what they call it as long as it's a good film.

If it resembles the first Man of Steel, it can't be very good. The worst superhero movie I've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I just realized reading this thread that I'm too old to care about these movies anymore. But, enjoy! :tiphat:

Hawklord likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I feel so sorry for DC comics. Their last "New 52" comic reboot sucked, and none of their movies have been very good. I really didn't like the last three Batman films, either.

Their properties are just too dark and gritty.

22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I really, really hope Oatey ain't following this thread.

23. SonOfAlerik

Nothings worse than Amazing Spiderman

BongRattlingBass likes this.
  24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The titles of the next 3 movies have also been announced:

Batman v The Flash: Motion Carried
    Wonder Woman v Superman: Restraining Order
    Green Lantern v The State of Texas: Habeas Corpus Christi

25. SonOfAlerik