Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

yeah, Dark Knight gets is perfect. You realize that the things you see are horrible and yet you cannot help but laugh.

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If Batman and Robin is Citizen Kane then Batman v Superman is Chimes at Midnight. Two completely different movies from different times produced by different production teams which use different techniques and aimed at different markets. Apples and oranges.

The only reason this film and the one that preceded it are getting so many negative reviews is because of their being released in the same time frame as the Marvel movies. The bias for these films is extreme and keeps the majority of people from having clear headed opinions. If Marvel had been in a position of releasing movies of equal production values as Tim Burton's Batman a few months from its releases, its acceptance could have been quite different. Same thing as the 60's Batman TV show. If a TV network had produced a Marvel show in a darker tone than the camp fest Batman offered, people might remember that show differently.

Instead at looking at these films for what they are and enjoying them, too many people base their opinions on what they read before seeing the film. I've watched Fant4Stic three weeks ago expecting nothing and I actually thought that although flawed, it was still a good film. I did make it a point of seeng Trank's Chronicle a week before and I had enjoyed it. It simply followed the same mood.

Was Batman v Superman perfect, no, but I've enjoyed it more than a few of Marvel's misfires like Iron Man 2 and Avengers: Age of Ultron. There were some great things going for it. Ben Affleck nailed (for me) the Batman role. I've enjoyed the darker mood of the film.

David Campbell and GodShifter like this.
  3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Absolutely untrue. The reason BvS has gotten such bad reviews is that it's a really terrible movie.

And, it does what most really bad movies do by being filled with lots of bang and flash to fool the easily fooled into believing it's anything more than a hack job.

When I have time, I may elaborate, I may not. I feel like I've wasted too much of my life on this pile of dog crap already.

And, the 60's Batman was AWESOME! The Burton films, not so much. (Still better than this though)

80sjunkie likes this.
  4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I've rewatched the film again today, this time extended version. I don't know folks. It's god damn fine for a super hero movie, where to look for something serious and things that make sense and realism is just pointless and downright silly. Want realism? Go read Dostoyevsky, or smth.

Great action scenes. GREAT re-imagining of the Batman character. Who woulda thought that uniting Batman and Bane would be such a good idea? When he fires the first cryptonite grenade into him and tells him to breathe in the fear, I almost expected him to say next: "Do you feel in charge?" ;) Great Alfred character. Awesome Wonderwoman.

Yes, it's not the best super hero film out there. Of course, it does not reach the level of Cap Winter Soldier or the Nolan Trilogy, but! It's damn fine entertainment with a darker twist.

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I agree. Nolan's Batman movies were highly regarded and came out after several Marvel franchises launched. BvS is a bunch of fanboy set pieces stitched together by non-sensical contrivances and dipped in soul-sucking dourness. No surprise that this comes from the same director as Sucker Punch.

6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

You're being too kind.

It's bad from a filmmaking perspective, it's bad from a characterization perspective, it's bad from every perspective... And NOT just in comparison to other movies.

Here's an in-depth analysis from someone who calls it "the worst comic-book based movie of all-time" and he's FAR kinder to this movie than I would be:

Vidiot likes this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

didn't you already post this video a page or so ago?

Edit: sorry,you didn't but someone else did. Never mind...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Despite the reviews, I'm going to see this once it's cheap. I'll probably hate it but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. From the previews, I'm not sure i'm going to like the new Lex Luther but on the other hand, the lack of humor I keep hearing about might be up my ally. I'm not much for comic relief. The last 3 Batman films had far less humor then any of the others which is one of the elements I loved about those films. I don't want the tension cut. I just hope they didn't go crazy with the flashbacks from Man Of Steel.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

They're screwing over DVD buyers and only releasing the extended cut on Blu-ray. :rolleyes:

10. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

torrent it is then, honestly...

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

How lame that is. Pity also to hear that the 30 minutes didn't really add much into the film except maybe expand on Superman's side of the story as the Theatrical Cut seemed to focus more on Batman. Either way, I was going to pick it up on Bluray anyway.

12. And it's one of my favorite films so far this year.

David Campbell and GodShifter like this.
  13. David Campbell

As far as superhero movies go the extended cut is easily the best of the year so far. Xmen Apocalypse was disappointing and while Captain America Civil War was good for what it was,its been waayyyy over hyped,and it doesn't compare to Winter Soldier.

14. Haven't seen the Extended Cut yet. But I say the original at the Cinerama in Seattle. My favorite place to see any film.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  15. David Campbell

Then I think you will really like it. It doesn't radically change it,just fleshes out things. I liked the theatrical cut too but it felt messy and jumpy at places and there were a few scenes that needed to " breathe". The extended cut feels smoother. It's not perfect. I'd still rather have seen the whole " nightmare" scene cut down and the Justice League cameos could and should have been an after credits scene, but other than that it's very good.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My "BvS" viewing history:

-First saw it theatrically
    -Second saw it Theatrical Cut 3D Blu-ray
    -Third saw it Ultimate Edition 2D Blu-ray.

I strongly disliked "BvS" theatrically and still disliked it 3D BD, though not as much - during a second screening, I better appreciated some of its strengths, mainly via the fights in the third act.

I think the longer UE improves the movie a lot, though. It fills in plot holes and fleshes out character motivations much better.

Luthor is the character who benefits most from the UE. We better see his machinations and manipulations, and these then make the other characters stronger, as we better understand why they do what they do.

I won't call the "BvS" UE a great film, but it's a good one.

I'd give "Man of Steel" a "D", theatrical "BvS" a "C-" and UE "BvS" a "B" - maybe even a "B+".

It ain't Nolan, but the UE is a vast improvement, IMO...

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As I just noted, I much preferred the UE "BvS", but I still doubt I'll like it as much as "Civil War". Ask me again when I watch the BD in a couple of months! :D

BTW, you left out "Deadpool"...

18. David Campbell

Ah! Almost forgot.... how could I???

OK...I will amend and say it's my second fave behind Deadpool :)

As for Civil War... perhaps I was put off it somewhat given the glowing near orgasmic reviews for it before watching it in the cinema,and I adored Winter Soldier,so my expectations were perhaps unreasonably high. I enjoyed it but when I left the cinemas I was almost like " that was it???" I saw it a second time and still felt the same way.

Maybe when I'm further removed from the hype I will gain a new perspective on it. I do think as a whole the Captain America trilogy stands right up along side Nolan's Batman trilogy in terms of quality,even with CW being an enjoyable and uneven movie,much like the Dark Knight Rises. Although as time passes TDKR improves with each viewing IMO. So there is still hope with CW! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Do I have to get the 3D from England?
    (scratch that, I just checked AZ)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

My wife likes Captain Americas a$$ more than Batmans, so the Captain wins on her list...........:)

David Campbell likes this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My son and I watched it again for the second time on a plane flight to England. We both agreed that we enjoyed if far more the second time, and it was far better than we remembered. We have not seen the extended version.

22. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Sorry for being late to the party. I finally decided to watch it today and I have to unfortunately agree with the majority that this is one mess of a film. Bad acting, boring characters, questionable casting, and ridiculous plot decisions seem to be things Hack Snyder likes to exploit these days.

23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't have a herd mentality, I'm a cartoonist and have been reading and studying comic book storytelling since I was a little boy!

I hated the idea of a Superman vs Batman movie from the beginning. I think too many animated and live action movies have been dedicated to these two characters!

I want to see movies of other characters, that's why I'm super excited that one of Darkseid's generals is the main badguy in the Justice league movie.

Having said that, I liked Batman vs Superman, I don't listen to critics or anyone else, I have to see for myself! If I had listened to others I would have never seen the last Judge Dredd movie which was excellent!

Just like the Daredevil movie, the director's cut was much better and made me like that movie even more. I'm thinking the same will happen with the Ultimate Edition of Batman vs Superman!

Quadboy and David Campbell like this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I watched the extended cut last night and enjoyed the film much more than I did the first time. It's still not in my top 10 of the year, but I can see why people would enjoy it. The pieces added back in flesh out the characters a bit more.

25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I strongly agree that there have been too many movies/TV series featuring Superman and Batman. DC Comics has a large number of characters that they could use. Some might not be suitable for a movie, but might be suitable as a part of a cast of a TV series.

An example of the later are The Metal Men (six robots each made of a different metal who can shape shift [think of the T1000 from Terminator 2] with human-like personalities). To me, they would be perfect for a TV series aimed at young viewers and if properly handled it could be a very entertaining series.

A good sign is the the movie Suicide Squad, which features few characters well known to non-comic book readers. In the same way, there are many other characters/groups that could be the focus of a movie. One that comes to mind is Legion Of Super-Heroes which could be a great science fiction movie that could rival Star Trek and Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.