Battling Phone Pre-Amp Hum

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JerryLived, Mar 27, 2023.

1. JerryLived

JerryLived Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a relatively new SPL Phonos pre-amp that is giving off a lot of hum at higher volumes. I upgraded the interconnect to the amp from something really cheap to Blue Jeans cable. This helped a lot, the old cable was picking up FM radio, but not as much as I would like.

Any thoughts on minimizing the hum? Do I upgrade the power cord? Do I add a power conditioner? Do I upgrade the interconnect again?

Thanks in advance.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  2. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

If it's picking up the hum inductively, then it's most likely the cables between the turntable and the pre-amp being placed too closely to a power cord or some other piece of equipment that's emanating a magnetic field. It's best that those be as short as practically possible and away from power cables, outlets, and walls (if there is a branch feeder directly on the other side of the wall.)

3. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Check your interconnects are shielded end to end. The trend of connecting the shield at one end only makes it an antenna(Graham Slee).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    JerryLived likes this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

This

try spacing the cords with some foam or styrofoam, 2" is enough
    No parallel runs
    Cross perpendicular

cheap, fast, easy, before you start throwing $ at it

JerryLived likes this.
  5. woody

woody Forum Resident

My Leben phono preamp was picking up radio. I found replacing the power cord with a better shielded cord cut that out.

JerryLived likes this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You are using a ground wire from turntable to preamp I'll assume? Try unplugging the ground wire just to rule out a ground loop.

4-2-7 and Ingenieur like this.
  7. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Try an Audiolab DC Blocker:)