Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm not sure. If I get a free moment, I'll do a shoot-out and report back.

rnranimal likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, I've always liked the sound of Seventeen Seconds and Faith on Happily Ever After.

That's cool that you had that Canadian Sky with "Ziggy." I remember a local record shop here in California actually had new, sealed copies of that in the late 80s, but I didn't buy it.

I've never had a problem with my A&M Sky's Gone Out LP; I bought this reissue mostly out of curiosity, as it seems folks around here have expressed mixed views of the A&Ms over the years.

As for Burning From the Inside, of which I also have the A&M (on both LP and CD), that has always sounded a bit murky to me, but that is probably down to the recording. (But then, Mask was pretty murky, and the 2009 remaster did wonders for that, so it's possible that a good remastering could remove some of Burning's sonic murk).

At any rate, I suspect that when all is said and done, anyone with nice, clean copies of the Sky and Burning LPs on A&M will probably find they have no real reason not to be content with those.

Ben Adams likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I got mine at a hole-in-the-wall used and new record shop in Tahoe City, CA in 1986. Place had mad crazy imports - very strange for a resort town where he'd have limited clientele. He sure got a lot of my money that year.

Jerry James and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  4. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Arrived Monday. The sky really has gone out on this release, nowhere near as dynamic as the UK original and to top it all the LP is warped...Not impressed!

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Several of us getting warped, dodgy pressings of these titles. I think it was probably a waste of time even considering the sound; I shouldn't have wasted my time! I suspect Beggars should get someone else to press their records, but it's probably sadly too late for these 40th Anniversary jobs. I certainly won't be buying ANY Beggars vinyl again after 3 / 3 of these Bauhaus LPs being scuffed / blobbed / warped.

Netnomad likes this.
  6. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Played 'Mask' and sound wise OK apart from some pops and crackles and the LP is unwarped.
    Playing 'Burning From The Inside' now and again sound wise very good but needs to be turned up louder. Not a very flat pressing!
    'Press The Eject' next then 'In The Flat Field'

Very dissapointed with the quality of these pressings as the 40th anniversary deservered MUCH better.

7. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

'Press The Eject' warped! I can hear no difference from the original UK pressing!

8. BlueSpeedway

Did you read the hype about that one, and IIRC Field that Beggars posted. Someone goes at great length to suggest how amazing they sound and superior to any other version. Hmmmmmmmmm.

9. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

'In The Flat Field' again dissapointed, sounds muddy. I had the original uk first press of this and recall that it was much clearer than this one and I still have the Omnibus CD which blows this away. Time to get another copy of the original me thinks.

This ones not warped so that's a bonus :)

3 out of 5 warped!

10. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

No have not read anything on these. I don't know who listens to these and says they are superior...Superior to what, the MP3?

I think I have also had it with re issues as 9 times out of 10 the originals sound better.

11. Pavol Stromcek

Not sure if you saw my post above, but yeah, I found the new Sky to be noticeably less dynamic than my US A&M original. It sounds thin, tame, and one-dimensional by comparison. And then there was the mild warp, plus really bad surface noise on some tracks... Not impressed!

Seems like Mask has received the fewest complaints so far.

Netnomad likes this.
  12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the live versions of the songs from Press the Eject?

Dolemite likes this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

Okay, so I had a moment to at least compare "In the Night" on the original UK BB CD and US A&M LP, and my verdict: Apart from the CD being louder, they sound incredibly similar. In terms of tone, they sounded identical. If there are differences, they are subtle, and I would need more time to do more critical a/b-ing between the two to discern them.

rnranimal and BlueSpeedway like this.
  14. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

No missed your post but just read it and we are on the same page :)

Yes I think 'Mask' is the best with 'Burning From The Inside' a close second out of the 5 IMO

15. BlueSpeedway

When I was a bau-obsessed kid I couldn't get into the Eject Bela, as the studio version was so perfect, addictive and bizarre. But... the remixed remastered Eject live version as found in the Mask Omnibus set.. I love it!

16. BlueSpeedway

Out of interest do you think the new Burning sounds better than the original Alsdorf LP? I think it sounds at best the same, at worst slightly too trebly and mid-rangey.

That's based only on Side 2 as it was too warped to play Side 1.

17. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

I think it is close but the new one has a wider soundstage and a little more mid range push.

Pavol Stromcek and BlueSpeedway like this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

Cheers. And did you hear that faint squeal / whistle in between each song that I mentioned upthread. Probably only noticeable on headphones. I wonder if it's on all of them and what on earth caused it.

Netnomad likes this.
  19. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

No squeal on speaker listening (had it playing rather loud), will try headphones tomorrow and let you know.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  20. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Original UK 'In The Flat Field' now ordered on Discogs 25 pounds near mint. Ebay prices for this are ridiculous 40 pounds + for VG.

BlueSpeedway and Dolemite like this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's on my Varese Sarabande Zombies reissues. It's a digital artifact of some kind that could be removed from mastering if the engineer was paying attention - and absolutely 100% proves the LPs were mastered from digital files. I run into it on very, very, very few reissues, fortunately.

Someone out there is a pretty damn lazy mastering engineer.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

hmmm.. that makes sense you say it’s rare, because I always am on headphones and yet have never encountered it before. No great shakes in this case as I’m getting rid of my warped, squealy Burning, but still, what an absolute shambles this has been.

Ben Adams likes this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I noticed it because I needle drop all my vinyl, and look at waveforms closelyl. The noise is visible as a "hump" between tracks in iZotope. I tossed on headphones and there it was, just as you describe. Kind of a "Vwoop!"

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

So, from what we know now, are the only really good Bauhaus 2018 vinyl reissues Mask and Press Eject?

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I was the opposite. 1979-1983 was my introduction to the band and I actually didn't realize it was live. I guess I just thought the crowd noise was a sound effect. When I finally heard the studio version, I found the echo lead vocal distracting. I like them both equally now.

There isn't a version of the Eject Bela in the Mask set. Do you mean the Tomb Raider mix on And Remains?

BlueSpeedway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.