Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Eject Bela" is the one also on "1979-83", right? Never heard the live album but always found it puzzling that they used the live version for the comp.

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Oh, it's not from the Hammersmith gig? That would explain it! I found the Eject / 79-83 one a bit busy conpared the the studio or more sparse live versions.

The Tomb Raider thing I don't think I've played for 10 years.

rnranimal likes this.
  3. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

And Burning.

4. BlueSpeedway

Field is alright, the bass sounds great. It's different to but not better than an original, for me. Stupid vinyl color and blobbed vinyl permitting, on mine!

5. BlueSpeedway

Yeah. The recent Banshees and Kate Bush vinyl were excellent, but almost everything else I heard or had for about two years had a pressing fault or something.

Netnomad likes this.
  6. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Yes can hear meow between tracks on headphones but quite faint. Also it did sound more trebley than through my speakers.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No, it's from Old Vic '82. X Ray Eyes was the only track from Hammersmith on Eject.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    BlueSpeedway likes this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

My local shop got another copy of the new Press the Eject LP, so I picked it up today.

Gave it a listen, and I have to say, it's not bad. It's mostly quiet, and flat except for an extremely minor dish warp. The sound, interestingly enough, is warmer and a bit bassier than the original UK LP, whereas the original is more trebly, like listening to razor blades. This reissue is probably a bit compressed, as the original seems to be a little more dynamic.

It's strange how this one is warmer/bassier than the original, while the remastered Sky is thinner/brighter than the original.

The overall package is nice: I dig the inner sleeve with the collage of photos.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    BlueSpeedway and gomen ne like this.
  9. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wasn't that because they had trouble licensing the Small Wonder original for the 79-83?

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  10. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Agreed. It sounds better than the original, just a bit too quiet. When you compare them side by side the new remaster is definitely an improvement, but sometimes a balls-out live recording benefits from raw energy rather than dynamic range. I think Iggy Pop felt that.

BlueSpeedway and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  11. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

At first listen I could not hear any difference between the original and the new. Just had another listen to both the new LP and my original UK LP (the free one with Mask) and as you say the original is slightly brighter than the new, but I much prefer the original as it has more dynamic range and portrays the live performance better.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  12. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I guess this thread has about run its course.

I did get the UK/EU exclusives in today. Covers bent and dinged to hell. Records are fine. Not going to worry about it. Just FYI if anyone else is ordering in the US.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I picked up a copy here in the US from a local store this past weekend, unfortunately before seeing this thread :( I went to the beggars arkive website and it says to email them with proof of receipt for a replacement, but haven’t heard back yet. This is for in the flat field.

14. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Look at the back of the album. In the bottom left corner is there a capsule shaped oval with a LC number in it?
    If there is then you already have a UK/EU pressing. If there is not, then you have US pressing and it will be defective.

recstar24 likes this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! I will check as soon as I get home and report back. Appreciate it.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just checked - no capsule with LC number :(

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Beggars arkive got back to me and are sending a replacement!

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I have the Sky's Gone Out lp. I like the mastering, but the pressing has some pops where they shouldn't be! I am going to Spin Clean it to see if it gets better.

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I didn’t keep proof of purchase so they are accepting photos as replacement..

paulieb00 likes this.
  20. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

For the people who have or are getting replacements of ITFF from Beggars Arkive, did they require you to send back the defective LP or were you allowed to keep it?

21. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I was not required to send it back - I have mine as a souvenir.
    In fact in my house we now have 5 copies of these ITFF remasters (2 of them defects). My first order was a defect, and Archive sent me a good replacement. Then my spouses's pre-order of ITFF arrived and it was also a defect, so she received a replacement from Archive with out having to return the defect. Then later out of the blue I received a second replacement for some unknown reason. All I can think of is that I had sent a separate email to 4AD to simply inform them of the mono defect (not to request a replacement as I had already done so with Archive vendor) and they must have sent me another replacement as a response.
    Add this to my 1981 Italian copy and we have a total of 6 copies of ITFF - sort of overkill, sort of funny.

22. Pavol Stromcek

Burning From the Inside finally came down in price on Amazon, so I pulled the trigger. Not surprisingly, the LP turned up warped: it has a fairly pronounced dish warp and edge warp, so it's going back. I did manage to play a few tracks, and the sound seemed OK, though, so I'll exchange it for another and see how that goes. Grrrrrr.

Cover art on the front looks a bit dark and grainy next to my old US A&M copy.

But what's with the dish warps? The copy of Sky's Gone Out that I ordered (and returned) had a dish warp, and even Press the Eject has a very slight dish warp. Has no one else experienced this with these reissues?

Since all of these have had varying degrees of dish warp, I'm guessing this happened at the pressing stage.

23. Pavol Stromcek

Damn - second copy of the new Burning arrived from Amazon and it's also warped. Slightly less warped than the first one, but still a very nasty edge warp nonetheless. I'm going to give it one more try before giving up.

I noticed BlueSpeedway's copy of Burning was warped. I wonder if they're all warped?

Based on what I've seen so far, this reissue series really seems to have been mostly botched. You've got the pressing fiasco with copies of ITFF that went to the US, the copy of Sky that I ordered (and returned) was warped and had very bad surface noise on a few tracks, and more than one person, including me, has gotten a badly warped copy of Burning.

The exceptions seem to be Mask, which I didn't buy, but people don't seem to have complained much about that one, and only my copy of Press the Eject has been okay.

Who the hell pressed these? This is one of the worst vinyl reissue roll-outs I've seen in a while.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  24. Pavol Stromcek

And... I'm out!

Third copy of Burning also has a nasty edge warp. Oh well - maybe we'll have better luck when they do a 50-year anniversary reissue campaign.

Whoever pressed these really needs to get their act together. I doubt it's a coincidence that three copies all had the same nasty edge warp, not to mention, BlueSpeedway complained of getting a warped copy.

25. BlueSpeedway

I guess maybe people just suck it up? It surely can't be coincidence ours are both badly warped? And as you know, as well as a severely warped Burning, my Mask and Field both were scuffed / blobbed. I got all my money refunded, but all we can do is vote with our wallets: because of the Bauhaus shambles I won't buy their recent The Fall orange vinyl I am Kurioys Oranj which I was going to. Or their forthcoming The Fall Bend Sinister 2LP which I was also going to. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.