Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Ain't that the truth? I'm going to hard pass on these. If they become available as lossless downloads, I might consider them.

2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The problem has to be in the cut, right? I mean, I do not understand how one pressing could be mono and one could be stereo if there weren't separate lacqures.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In this case, there probably are no lacquers. In house cuts from GZ are usually DMM. And no one has reported a cutter sig, so that's probably what it is....

punkmusick and jimhb like this.
  4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Good to know. I didn't know GZ pressed them.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

What is DMM?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I wonder if @GeorgeZ know about this

8. NSzeven

NSzeven Active Member

Cool that you got your replacement @Kyle Mooney. I reported my issue on the day of release and I still haven't heard anything. Sigh.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I just noticed the Mask sleeve art is actually a bit stretched. Still remains a good quality repro, especially compared to dodgier ones like the recent Banshees LPs. But if you look at the “teddy bear” type thing, its head is oval on the new one, but circular on the original. The upside is that the slight stretching reveals more of the edges of Daniel Ash’s drawing, and also shows his complete signature on its bottom right, which is chopped on the original. Something for us nerds to notice anyway.. :)

punkmusick, gomen ne and Neonbeam like this.
  10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Who you calling "nerd"?
    We're Bauhaus fans - we're too busy being, um... being tortured goths to be nerds!

11. BlueSpeedway

Tortured nerds then ? :)

12. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Kerching there goes another £105 :)

13. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I picked up Press The Eject on white vinyl today. I love that album - it's one of the best live albums ever, with most of the tracks being actually better versions that the studio cuts. Really pleased I got it, and it sounds very good but very quiet. It says PLAY VERY LOUD on the back of the sleeve, but if you do that you get the noise floor of the record making its presence felt, and it has a fair few clicks and pops. I'm going to search out my old copy that I got free with The Sky's Gone Out way back when, and I'll probably prefer it because I remember it being LOUD AS HELL.
    This is a great album though and essential imo.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I can attest to that. No way they're selling me a digital-sourced vinyl of that.

15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Can you do a comparison? I have an original UK Sky lp and I was wondering if the new one would be better. I remember the sound on the original cd did not sound that great.

And, yes, the show is great!

16. BlueSpeedway

The original US A&M Sky CD is junk, but the Beggars Banquet ones are alright. The recentish remaster in the 5 Albums set uses an obviously good source but is loudly mastered and has strange tape issues in a couple of spots.

I'm not bothering with the new Sky or Press LPs but will get Burning next month.

rnranimal likes this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Junk? Really?

18. BlueSpeedway

Well, not very good then. Same with the Burning A&M CD, obviously made from a copy tape if you play it back to back with any Beggars CD version.

rnranimal likes this.
  19. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

For those US members who are thinking to buy ITFF in a brick and mortar I would offer this observation: I currently own two defective mono copies and two perfect stereo replacements. I noticed that both of the defective copies had the hype sticker in the top right corner of the album and the two good copies both had the hype sticker in the top left corner of the cover. Don't know if that pattern holds across the board, but just thought I'd put it out there.

20. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think the new one sounds really clear and more detailed, but the old Sky freebie is louder. the old LP vinyl is quieter than the new white one, even though I bought it in 1982/3 on the week of release and it has just been stored as bought - no poly liner or sleeve :whistle:. I think the new one sounds better, but a bit quiet.
    I do have the cd with the extra tracks, and I thought it sounded awful.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Even when only considering the sound of the main Prsss Eject album and discounting the terrible sounding bonus tracks? I thought it sounded fine, but I've never had anything to compare it to. I do find that Bela sounds a little better than on the 1979-1983 CD.

22. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I haven't played it for a long time. You could be right, but I remember feeling very disappointed with its impact when I got it, having played the original LP to death. I suppose it's what you are used to hearing. Yesterday when I played the new record for the first time my first thought was that I was having to crank it up, but the remastering sounded great. I missed what I remembered as the balls-out volume of the old LP though, so I went searching for it. When I got hold of it and played it, it sounded flatter and less detailed, but it was louder with a rawer feel. I won't hesitate to recommend the new white vinyl - it's a good sounding remaster, but you'll need to crank it up.

Dolemite and rnranimal like this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

My favourite thing on Press is that thundering, slow Man With X Ray Eyes version, but the gig that excerpt is taken from is in full on the live CD in the Mask 2009 box set, and sounds much better than it does on my old Press LP or CD. But maybe I should get the Press new LP if it sounds good on there. I really love that version. The tribal repetitious bass/drums, Ash’s swirling, shattering wall of guitar throughout, and that bit when Murphy sings..

“New tread.
    Wipes a wet road soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
    DRY IT STINGS..”

Neonbeam and gomen ne like this.
  24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I may be misremembering, but I think the Mask live CD is a different mix. I thought I remembered they had the multi-track tape for the Mask live CD. If so, then that's going to have a lot to do with them sounding different. Would love to see an Omnibus Press Eject. Wonder how many other shows in which they still have the full recordings.

jimhb and BlueSpeedway like this.
  25. BlueSpeedway

Beggars are a bit weird with live stuff. They were on about nothing good enough existed for a live CD in the Field Omnbus... yet people have collected bootlegs for years... Elvis has had hundreds of audience or soundboard concerts released by BMG and Sony. Only a few thousand collectors buy them but they’re historically important, some of them are pisspoor quality but part of the “archive”.

Beggars also shelved the film they made of the special Love and Rockets London Dominion concert in 1988, claiming the footage was “too dark”. Someone asked them in some Q&A years ago, well release it anyway and let the fans decide, or release the audio. No response, that I’m aware of.

And yet all the Beggars Tones on Tail CDs feature a terrible quality live recording of Heartbreak Hotel. Go figure. Very inconsistent.

So whatever they have or don’t have, goodness knows how or why they decide whether to release it to us collectors or not. I used to have a stereo recording of Bauhaus live at Glasgow Tiffany’s 1983. It was lost, a cassette. You’d think someone would have that. It was great, much better than the tense, stilted Final Concert which got a dead sounding soundboard official release on CD years ago.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    jimhb and rnranimal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.