BBC The Dublin Murders

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pastafarian, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident Thread Starter

Based on the first 2 book by Tana French, which I haven't read. The fist episode was rather slow but has a dark brooding menace to it and I'm expecting great things as the story unfolds.

2. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

This is playing on Starz channel in the US. The second episode is tonight. I enjoyed the first episode and not having read the books can only guess at where this is going. It's like True Detectives Dublin.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Moody and interesting - we'll see where it goes.

4. Pastafarian

Very intense and how dark can you go.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I watched the first few episodes, I didn't feel that the substitution of the policewoman for the dead girls was very realistic.

6. Pastafarian

You've got me on this one, girls?, not to give anything away you must be talking about one dead girl.

I think one problem for the TV series is that they've got two separate books bolted on to each other and the issue of realistic is a legitimate one but the explanation is ingenious.

7. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I really liked the books, especially the Likeness, Faithful Place and Broken Harbour. There’s only been one episode so far on STARZ, but I swear it said in the credits that the series was based on both In The Woods and The Likeness, which are two separate stories. Not sure how they merge both into one season if that’s the case, but I’m still watching.

8. Pastafarian

They squeeze them together but it would have made more sense to just do to book one.

Etienne Hanratty and chrischerm like this.
  9. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

That’s a bummer. The Likeness had real intrigue and was a serious page turner - much more than In The Woods, which is a decent first book in a series, but it’s not The Likeness. Each book in the series just gets better than the previous one, and I love how one of the other detectives on the squad becomes the lead in each new story. Oh well... still going to watch tonight.

Cheers, mate! :)

10. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and I'll definitely keep watching. I love dark, gritty crime shows.

Achn2b and chrischerm like this.
  11. Borgia

I guess the finale is tonight. I've enjoyed watching it, but the whole Lexie thing seems a bit of a distraction for me. I'm not sure how it's going to tie this up with the child murders. Cheers.

12. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I hope that wasn’t the finale! There are too many unanswered questions.

13. Borgia

I guess that was it. The children of 1985 were killed by some supernatural force for which there is no explanation. Lexi was Cassie's alter ego or childhood invisible friend who came to life.
    Kind of muddled, but kind of good. There certainly are unanswered questions.

14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The lack of resolution on what happened to Jaime and Peter "in the woods" was pretty disappointing. But where Lexie came from was explained just fine: Cassie went undercover using the name Lexie at the college to catch Johnstone, after she was done some unknown drifter girl who looked like Cassie was riding on a bus and Justin starts to talking to her thinking she is Lexie/Cassie, he uses her full name and says she could easily re-enroll just by going to the office and telling them she is "Lexie Madison", she then takes on that name and ends up living in Daniel's little cult house. No "imaginary friend" come to life.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

What was the significance of the wolf at the end? Was it possibly an allusion to the kids being attacked by wolves while in the woods?

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It was on a few months ago on RTE. I thought the resolution of the plot went a bit flat, but the acting was good. Ended like a Scooby Doo episode I'm afraid.

17. Pastafarian

I took it as a allusion to the Big Bad Wolf, who takes little children in the woods, when in fact it could well be the modern incarnation the paedophile. For me the lack of a resolution was a brave move which made a dark story truly bleak.

Now the serendipity of Cassie and Lexie was too much and annoying because I'd cracked it with a diagnosis of CPTSD, disassociation and a fugue state.

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Great show. Top 10 of 2019 for me. This is what I thought happened:
    Lexie was a doppelgänger and the kids in 1985 were killed by wolves. Robert/Adam was having nightmares of wolves throughout the series and one of the last shots of the series was the wolf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.