BBE Sonic Maximizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone on this board ever use this plug-in for Cool Edit? A co-worker is telling me how great it is. He is using it on Jazz vinyl transfers. He played me a bit on his laptop through crappy speakers, so I can't really tell what it is doing. It seems to be boosting things a bit. Not sure if it is really doing any harm or not. I am a little skeptical.

BOB

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Bob,

I use a BBE Sonic Maximizer in my record chain in analog with a Reel tape recorder. The process is difficult to explain without my manual which, is at home. However, the unit splits the signal into three (3) segments and either expands or delays the frequents in order to correct the timing of harmonics. The amount of processing for the low frequency band and the high frequency bands are variable and user controlled. It is not an EQ. The result is typically, very pleasing, to my ears but, like any processing devices, it's use must be judicious and reserved. In short, it is detail enhancer, if anything.

Bob

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Bob,

I don't think I have that particular pluggin but I have found with a lot of maximizers I've used (for original music experiments on certain "sounds" & overall mix) that they should kind of be avoided (especially for an "honest" transfer). My .0034 cent suggestion is to stick with a good eq if you feel you want to juice a song up/down a bit. Maximizers do some nasty freq. manipulation to add some "pump" action (I say leave that to the art of making love & if you need to fetch some water afterwards :))...

Todd

4. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

I've played with a BBE Sonic Maximizer extensively and despite the mumbo jumbo contained in the manual, it essentially boosts the bass and the highs.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm not particularly intereseted in using one extensively, but I see where it could help some of those anemic-sounding recordings.

Metalbob, what is the URL?

6. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I bought a BBE a few years ago. I had it hooked up to my system for several months but never really heard much of an improvement. It's back in it's box in my "stuff I thought I needed but never use" collection.

7. Bob Lovely

Dave,

I have used mine for years for recording on Reel tape. I have found it to be most effective with vintage recordings and at reduction or flattening of bass on modern, more bass heavy recordings. I have, through experience, learned to use it rather sparingly, carefully. I never use it on playback, just recording on reel tape. My father has one hooked to the audio output of is TV before the audio is fed to his pre-amp. On his system, there is noticable improvement on TV audio which, is heavily processed anyway.

Bob

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Bob (L),

Knowing the level of work you accomplish (high as the sky), I'm sure when you use the BBE (in one of those rare cases) you probably use just a wee tad or a very thin hair (never extreme). Others out there really abuse the **** out of those things and they're considered "professionals"...

Todd

9. Bob Lovely

Bob,

Yes, I try to be very careful with the use of the unit. A little goes a long ways, even on most vintage recordings where there are more vulgarities.

Bob

10. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.