Be-Bop Deluxe Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jul 26, 2015.

1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Loving the new Sunburst Finish 5.1 mix. One of the better ones I've heard for a while, really gets into the mix and digs new stuff out for you.

Icethorn and agn like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, pity is was done over time, and on the cheap. It's never sounded great, sadly. The songs are great though - Do You Dream in Color is such a great song.

ralphk likes this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My ten

Blazing Apostles
    No trains to heaven
    Jean Cocteau
    Fair Exchange
    Like an old blues
    Down on terminal street
    Maid in heaven
    Heavenly Homes
    Modern Music Suite (does this count as one?)
    Sleep that burns

Icethorn likes this.
  4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Listening to litaa...first time in a while. Side one is pretty strong.

Fair Exchange got a fair amount of airplay here back in the day. It's a catchy tune...I like it a little bit.

I'm guessing I have a later pressing. A double lp that's not a gate fold...odd packaging. SQ is good...cut by wly which is always good to see.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I could be misremembering but I don't think it ever came out as a gatefold. I got it when it first came out and what I got was on white vinyl (I think in a non-gatefold). Up to that point I don't think I ever saw anything other than black vinyl so that was a really cool surprise.

Unfortunately one of the album sides had a bubble in it which made the record skip so I took it back and got a replacement copy. And to my dismay the replacement was on regular black vinyl. If I had known that I would have kept the first one as a novelty thing and just bought the 2nd copy as the one to play.

(Apologies if all of this was already discussed in this thread, been awhile & I don't remember)

6. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

My copy of "Live in the Air Age", bought at the time of its initial USA release, is in a non-gatefold sleeve and has one white and one black LP.

Icethorn, jasn and slipkid like this.
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's probably the same thing I got. I don't remember if both LPs were white or not but one definitely was. One of those records was real short though, like an EP more than an LP. I definitely remember that the EP had Shine on one side, and think the other side was Maid in Heaven & Sister Seagull.

Icethorn likes this.
  8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The LP was white vinyl and the EP was black vinyl. According to the back cover the album is apparently supposed to be played as: Side 1 LP, Side 1 EP, Side 2 EP and Side 2 LP, although the CD has the tracks in LP order, followed by the EP.

The LP listing is closer to the actual order of a live performance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, if you want to make a deluxe edition of this excellent album, the Futurist Manifesto release has additional tracks from these recordings: Modern Music (suite), Forbidden Lovers, Down on Terminal Street and Swan Song.

9. TwentySmallCigars

I've heard nothing about it but it sure would be nice to see a similar set for Modern Music. IMO, this and Sunburst Finish are two of a set - Bill's 'Rubber Soul' & 'Revolver' as it were.

As a nice addition, they could include the full 'Live in the Air Age' reconstructed into the correct running order and add the MIA 'Twilight Capers'.

Slim Zooms, slipkid and agn like this.
  10. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known Member

I like BBD, but Bill Nelson's "Quit Dreaming and Get On the Beam" is one of my all time favorite albums in general, and the most underrated album of the post-punk era imo, probably because it came out two years late for whatever reason.

This song should be ranked up there with Bowie and Gary Numan's best:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  11. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known Member

"The Love that Whirls" is a masterpiece as well.

12. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known Member

His brilliant production on YMO's "Naughty Boys" album is actually how I got into him in the first place.

vinyl diehard, agn and SkeletonPete like this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I could never understand why they just didn’t go with a double live album. I bought the album on the first week of release, but it was plain black vinyl, as was the ep.
    Anyway, a Be Bop top 10.

01. Maid In Heaven
    02. Electrical Language
    03. Futurist Manifesto
    04. Sister Seagull
    05. Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape (long version)
    06. Kiss Of Light
    07. Jean Cocteau
    08. New Precision
    09. Crying To The Sky
    10. Orphans Of Babylon

Humbuster likes this.
  14. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known Member

As far as BeBop Deluxe is concerned, its all good, but I gotta vote "Drastic Plastic" for my favorite.

15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I'll have to check again to see if both my records are on black vinyl. I thought they were, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  16. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

They never get these things right. The fade out on Blazing Apostles followed by the jump back to the middle of the gig is a disgrace.

Slim Zooms, slipkid and johnnyyen like this.
  17. TwentySmallCigars

Drastic Plastic is unlike anything before it and has more in common musically with the Red Noise 'Sound on Sound' album. Both excellent albums.

Icethorn and slipkid like this.
  18. TwentySmallCigars

Also, it's Bill Nelson's 70th birthday today. Play some of his music!

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Don't forget the mighty Chimera EP, which features some of my favorite Bill Nelson tracks from the early 80s, a great mini album.

Rufus McDufus and jamo spingal like this.
  20. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

My copy of the BBD Live! In the Air Age LP is on white vinyl, EP on black. Three of the four deadwax areas (all designated F1 #1) have Wally Traugott's "Wally" inscription. The other (Side 3: E.P.) is designated F5#1, and is inscribed "ERT." Any one know who that might be.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Interesting read. I can't really add anything as I just ordered the newish deluxe set, and haven't heard anything by these guys yet.
    Looking forward to it.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

These guys are brilliant. If you’re starting with Sunburst Finish, it’s a good place in their discography.

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think that you'll like these guys, Mark. Sort of glammy mid 70s art rock. Bill Nelson's a fantastic guitarist and all-around sonic visionary.

24. agn

agn Forum Resident

Were any of you able to watch Bill Nelson at his Plectronica 70th Birthday celebration? You still can watch it on demand. It was worth every penny and the Interview at the end was wonderful too. I had tears in my eyes throughout as the music was so beautiful.
    https://www.billnelson.com/plectronica-streaming

vinyl diehard likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't know what it would be called, but there's a continuum with Queen at one end and Sparks at the other. Be Bop Deluxe is in the middle.