Be Bop Deluxe "Modern Music" deluxe (4cd + dvd) - Dec 6, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Don't know how I missed this thread before today. I was wondering this weekend if another box set would be released soon. Too late for the autographed postcard, but I placed my pre-order today.

Am I the only one to notice that the price of these increases with each new re-issue?

2. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

In all fairness, there's a lot more being offered with this box set than previous ones.

3. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

This and Sunburst Finish were two of my favourite albums in that musical lean period just before punk came along and saved me. The question is, do I need the new mix?

4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

For some reason, despite the release being less than three weeks away, Amazon in the US only lists the 2-CD edition, not the Deluxe box. And Import CDs is now down to $49.19, the lowest price as far as I can tell.

5. agn

agn Forum Resident

Yes! Most Likely. These were added cuts on the remaster of DP from a couple of decades ago.

qtrules likes this.
  6. agn

agn Forum Resident

slipkid likes this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I would like the 5 disc version of this. I’ve only opted for the 2 disc versions previously, but I consider Modern Music a level above the others. And I really want a 5 disc Drastic Plastic. Any idea whether they are doing Axe Victim?

Humbuster likes this.
  8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Love these boxes. They are well done. Certainly not inexpensive, however with a little shopping you should be able to pick them up for about US$50.00.

Not sure if I would pony up for a Drastic Plastic box, though as it is my least favorite of the Be Bop Deluxe albums.

slipkid likes this.
  9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe Axe Victim is the next one to come, then Drastic Plastic.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I’ll probably pass on Axe Victim, but Drastic Plastic is a must have for me.

11. agn

agn Forum Resident

I would love both Axe Victim, Drastic Plastic and Red Noise too!

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Is this based on some inside info, or guess work?

Either way, both essential for me, though it should be obvious I love Drastic Plastic.

My only question is whether they'll do Life in the Air Age.

Night Creatures is still a song that can give me goosebumps.....

DonnyMe and thgord like this.
  13. DesertChaos

no inside info, if I recall correctly Bill mentioned it in either a thread on his forum or blog. I think he mentioned Red Noise as well, which would be awesome!

I’d prefer Drastic Plastic first as it’s my fave BBD album, but knowing that it is coming eventually will have to do for now.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, Red Noise would be awesome. I do hope they manage to do something with Life in the Air Age, but there can't be much scope for Surround with that..... so probably not.

15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The fact that there's no LITAA stuff in the new box suggests they may do something with it. One can hope for video footage maybe.....

16. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Ordered mine from Deep Discount; I have the previous two and they are so excellent.

Humbuster and thgord like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My sentiments as well & although it has a few songs I like, I detest the move into "new wave" territory that Bill went into on that album (IIRC it was a move he did on purpose tiring of the whole rock "guitar god" type thing, and wanted to do it as his first solo album but the label made it a BBD album? I 4get the details).

I'll probably pick it up anyway though being a huge BBD fan. Hoping for some unreleased things but I'm not sure if anything is still left in the archives.

You could not pay me to listen to Red Noise again though, let alone spring for a boxset of that. Not my thing at all.

thgord likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If you don't like Red Noise, I can see why you're not a fan of Drastic. Drastic was clearly the gateway to Sound on Sound, with Quit Dreaming being the last embers in a sorta-kinda trilogy. I agree they're a long way from Sunburst Finish. Still, I love them. There are a lot of fans of Futurama here, but I find that the weakest of the BBD albums - I still bought the set though!

agn and slipkid like this.
  19. DesertChaos

I would really love to see the series continue through the Phonogram era stuff - Quit Dreaming would be very good, Love That Whirls would be a fantastic 5.1 album, and he had loads of extra stuff from EP's, remixes etc in that era to make a great set with.

Tristero and agn like this.
  20. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Not inexpensive? $50 is a GREAT price for 3 or 4 CDs and 1 DVD. Add in all the work it takes to put it together and the killer packaging involved. STOP COMPLAINING!!

agn likes this.
  21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Not complaining at all.

No need to shout, be polite!

As mentioned in my post, I love these boxes, am glad to have them and also pleased some cash may be finally going into Bill’s pockets. I am happy to contribute.

However, for perspective the recent King Crimson “In the court of the Crimson King” box can be had for $30.00 for 3 CDs and a Blu Ray.

22. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Just by posting the KC ITCOTKC comparison you ARE complaining.

Don't like the price? Don't buy it. Simple.

23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Amazon UK and Burning Shed both have this new Modern Music box for sale but I could find no mention of the set on Superdeluxe edition. The set looks good and the 2 done already are excellent.
    I'm 61 so I guess at a rate of 1 Be Bop Deluxe box a year they will fit them in before I shuffle off upstairs. I went to the Hammersmith 76 show but was there more than one date? I was not so wealthy back then!
    Anyone know a good website bit like the Pistols or Public Image with good information on the history, recordings and concerts of Be Bop Deluxe?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The setlist fm site lists only the 2nd October 1976 with the band in Bristol on the 1st and in the USA on the 8th.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The good news is, we've actually gotten two of these per year - so theoretically, we could have all the Be Bop albums by sometime early in 2021. :)

Flaming Torch and DesertChaos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.