DCC Archive Beach Boy Stereo Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

I have to dissagree with you guys who think that Chuck Britz faded out some of the BB tracks early "to get out of there"....

For one thing, Brian may not have been there when they were doing the stereo mixes, but I'd bet Steve Venet was. Even if he wasnt, Chuck most likely mixed what sounded right to his ears. Chuck was a pro, he wasnt gonna fade a song early for all eternity just to grab a smoke!!

You may not know this, but Chuck worked with Coltrane, Dizzy Gilespsi, Buddy Rich, and many other famous musicians. He had a reputation for excellence.

Mikey

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Chuck, but it begs the question: Why are so many of the early Beach Boys stereo mixes so poor? I had my DCC "Endless Summer" disc in last night, and while many of the tracks sound phenomenal, "Fun Fun Fun," for instance, is virtually unlistenable (to me) in stereo. As Steve has mentioned, the backing track is pushed back so far that it sounds like the band is a whole room away while Mike Love is singing right in front of you (two Mike Love's, actually ... gotta love all that '60s double tracking!!).

There are exceptions, but I'm with those who prefer most '60s Beach Boys in mono.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Partyka ]

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love both the stereo mixes and the mono mixes, for different reasons. Both are valid.

Chuck Britz told me that he did indeed fade the stereo mixes 10 to 30 seconds earlier than the mono mixes, but he didn't realize it at the time. S'ok. Part of history.

He also told me that he mixed some songs to stereo, like "Fun Fun Fun", while monitoring in MONO! Now, we all know what happens when stereo is combined to (L+R) mono. The left and right information drops down about 3db or so while the center stays firm.

So, try (those of you with mono buttons) playing back the stereo version of "Fun Fun Fun" in mono. Sound more correct? Backing track in the middle now the right volume? Yes, indeedie.

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Ooooo, I can't wait to try this now. "Fun Fun Fun" is one of my five favorite BB tunes ... wonder if I can find a way to get home early today ... ;-)

5. Angel

Angel New Member

Steve,

Did you chat with Chuck when he came over to the studio that time before he died?

6. Steve Hoffman

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, after picking up a few of the remastered twofers, I came to the exact same conclusion - listening in mono makes everything balance out correctly. Nice, although you lose the stereo then...

BTW, I believe Mikey was thinking of *Nik* Venet, not Steve... I could be wrong, but I don't believe he had much, if any, input after the first few albums.

8. Steve Hoffman

It's a pretty goofy thing to do a stereo mix while not bothering to repatch to be able to actually listen in stereo. Apathy.

Venet's involvment ended with the switch to Western Recorders in 1963. The last Capitol recorded album was "Surfin USA", although not all of the songs were done there...

John Kraus at Capitol actually did the stereo mixing on some tracks from the "Little Deuce Coup" LP, from the Western Three-tracks. Why, I don't know....

You can always tell a John Kraus Beach Boys mix: "Ballad Of Ol' Betsy" is one of them. No EQ screech added, a very smooth sound.

Beach Boys recording trivia never ends.. ;)

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve,
    What is your opinion on the Pet Sounds stereo mix made by Mark Linett for the boxset? I know that it was approved by Brian Wilson. When you worked on Pet Sounds, have you ever considered to release any existing stereo mix? I know that it's not in DCC's rules to use remixes but I think this one is great but would need your breath of life of course.

10. Steve Hoffman

Joel,

I've heard it, but there is way, way too much digital signal processing on it for my taste.

I'm glad Brian approved the stereo mix. I think he put his right hand on the right speaker for a good vibration to get a stereo effect. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think the stereo mix of 'Pet Sounds' is a great novelty (it's fun to hear everything separated) but the mono original is the one with the "fairy dust". Brian was attempting to make a hybrid Phil Spector production with the mixing/blending of different sounds/instruments/vocals. It works... It is funny about Brian supervising/approving the stereo re-mix. It's like Stevie Wonder giving a thumbs up to his publicity photo.

Todd

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Digital processing? Such as? To the best of my knowledge, Mark used almost all vintage equipment for the project, including a desk that was either similar to or actually came out of Western. I'll have to dig out the interview he gave...

13. Matt

Matt New Member

Have any of you compared the stereo remixes (Dance, Dance, Dance and Heroes & Villains) on Hawthorne, CA with their mono counterparts? The change in sound quality is really jarring when you hear them back to back. The sleigh bells on the stereo Dance, Dance, Dance sound really different. It's clearer, and louder like everything else, but hearing it on the heels on the mono version on the Razor & Tie "Greatest Hits," it doesn't seem too pleasant.

According to the liners, they used the original tube equipment to play back the material, but they also mention other equipment that would suggest that they dumped it on a digital workstation to remix the stuff. I'm almost certain this is how they did the Pet Sounds material.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's *possible* that the stuff was sync'd on a digital workstation (not sure, have to check), but it wasn't *mixed* on a digital workstation, at least for Pet Sounds. Mark Linett used a vintage board very similar to the one used at Western back in the day.

I've got an article (from EQ mag, I believe) on the mixing of Pet Sounds to stereo. I'll post it on my website when I get home.

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Luke, if you can post the article on your website that would be great.

But please also ost a link to you website here, ok?

Mikey

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Of course. It's just that it's a PDF file, so I can't exactly copy and paste it and post it here (well...with a lot of work, perhaps).

Also, to clear something up, you don't need to dump stuff on a digital workstation and use pitch correction software to sync stuff up. You can just run the two machines back to back using vari-speed. That's the way Yellow Submarine was done, I believe. Of course, they ****ed that up in other ways.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ok. It *sounds* like the stuff was transferred to a digital multitrack, but that the syncing was done manually, ie via vari-speed. That would seem to be the case with California Girls, as the sync goes out a bit on there (it's harder to do via vari speed).

Damn. This isn't working. If you want the article, e-mail me. In the mean time I'll try to figure out some other way to get it up.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Luke Pacholski ]

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Luke,

I think they used a digital workstation for "Yellow Submarine". I remember reading an article before it's release talking about the wonders of digital multitrack/syncing...

Todd

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They put it on a workstation, but I'm pretty sure they sync'd manually. My buddy was making a bit deal about that, because he really doesn't like doing it digitally.

Ok, *HERE* is the article. Sorry for having to zip it - the article is "protected" and won't work correctly if posted straight as a PDF (I tried that first).
    http://lukpac.org/articles/eq.zip

20. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Thanks, Luke, for the article!

Towards the very end it says that he used a Lexicon 300:
    http://www.lexicon.com/300/

which appears to be a digital multi effects box (reverb, pitch shifting, etc). So at least one digital effects processor was used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.