Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

I thought so! Oddly enough, that track sometimes gets lumped in with the gap between SMiLE and Smiley Smile, but sounds nothing like that period

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes: one of my favorite B sides. And a stunning Please Let Me Wonder, which I knew of, but had never actually heard before. Magical Carl vocals.

Mike introduced the last song (Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring) as one they sang "a cappella, in other words, in the nude". I presume that wasn't the only time he raised a laugh with that one.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

From: Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes: A Track-by-Track Description

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Gimme. Now.

factory44 likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

supermd likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

Bumping this topic up...I can see there being some tracking sessions and vocal sessions on a 1968/69 set. Some live recordings from 1968 (Chicago) and 1969 European tour...and a live version of Rock and Roll Woman, Little Red Book, Walk On By (extended version), sessions for We're Together Again, Celebrate The News, Breakaway, etc. I'm sure there's stuff we don't even know about.

7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

If, and I really hope it's when (and soon!) this material gets reissued I trust completely that Boyd/Linett will cherry pick all the material they can find and come up with another great compilation. The universal praise for Sunshine Tomorrow has got to leave the future bright for more Beach Boys archival releases.

8. pool_of_tears

Fingers crossed

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Find the damn tape! :goodie:

cwitt1980 likes this.
  10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

There are still quite a few unfinished and unreleased recordings from the "Friends" era: "You're As Cool As Can Be", "I'm Confessin'", "Our Happy Home", an early version of "Busy Doin' Nothing" called "Even Steven"... although those are probably just fragments or unfinished backing tracks in the vein of "Honey Get Home".

pool_of_tears likes this.
  11. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I want as much as possible as soon as possible. No need to wait until any 50th anniversary. A new release a couple times a year will suffice. 68/69 in December, 70/71 next July, 72/73 next Christmas, 74/75 July after that, etc, etc.
    Empty the vaults!!

Mr. D likes this.
  12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I think you pointed out that most on your list we have already,what we could use is more outtakes and live tracks

13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Some 45s are the stereo LP version, but I also have a US Capitol pressing where the track is in mono!

Also, add the mono 45 mix of Never Learn Not To Love to the list. That one is quite different and lacks the reverse cymbal sound at the start of the track.

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. pool_of_tears

Is the mono 45 of I Can Hear Music a fold down?

15. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

No. It's a quite different mix. Check out tge added echo to Dennis' voice at the end of the track.

pablo fanques and pool_of_tears like this.
  16. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I like it because it creates a groovy surround sound effect in my headphones.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Any news on an archival set for this year? I've been jonesing for '68 Beach Boys Friends/20/20 + European tour outtakes.

Edit: not sure if they toured Europe in '68. I may be mistaken for '69 which they surely did.

MRamble likes this.
  18. PetSite

PetSite Forum Resident

I have "pushed" as much as I can about the guys having a download site for their out takes. Remember, as per an agreement, Capitol now owns first dibs on all of this stuff. Even the Brother Records tracks (long story, don't want to go into it). So Capitol has to decide what to do. Hell, Mike Love totally forgot about "GOIN TO THE BEACH" which he wrote solo until they were compiling the MIC box. It was held off Keepin' The Summer Alive by Bruce, and then Mike slated it for a movie project "California Beach" which never got off the ground. Mike also said in 1980 that since CAN'T WAIT TOO LONG was not going to be used on KTSA, he would use it in California Beach. He really liked the tune.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

20. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Yeah I gotta say....hopefully they aren't just doing a late year dump of this material. If the wonderful Smiley Smile and Wild Honey outtakes deserved a physical release, then surely so does the great Friends and 20/20 stuff.

21. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

20/20 is my most played BB album - just saying

peace and love✌Dave

Mr-Beagle and Brian Mc like this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

In hindsight, it's probably mine too...

Beaneydave likes this.
  23. LesterDodge

LesterDodge Forum Resident

Does anyone have any news about a potential 1968 copyright extension release from The Beach Boys? Friends is my favorite BB album, so I'm getting a bit nervous since November is here and I haven't heard anything.

melstapler likes this.
  24. LesterDodge

LesterDodge Forum Resident

Friends is my favorite BB album, so I'm getting a bit worried I haven't heard anything about a 1968 set yet. Any news?

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  25. pdas1996

pdas1996 Forum Resident

Reportedly by the end of the month from what I've seen on the two BB forums.