Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. A very good price! The Tidal store and Amazon has it for $52... where did you get it for $40?

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

What's surprised me so far is that, in terms of studio work, I think we're still quite far away from barrel-scrapping. At least to us fans. And who cares about non-fans.

And even if no new gems are unearthed (and I think there's plenty out there), I'm happy hearing session material in good sound, and alternate mixes, and backing tracks, and vocal-only tracks.

3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

One of the things that struck me most about the Friends set is how the unfinished and/or instrumental pieces show how rich they were with musical ideas in this era. Forget the names of specific pieces but there were one or two where I thought, jeez, if they'd put vocals on, this would've been another lost gem. In any case, these sets are a great gift for BB fans. Bring on December 2019. Let's get together and do it again...

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Maybe mp3?

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

iTunes has Live 1967 for $54.99 for 109 tracks, so I would expect something similar here.

6. Pants Party

Likewise, the finished and released tracks, when stripped of their vocals (or lead vocals) reveal so much intricacy and delicacy. Not a new phenomenon to us fans, but these post-SMiLE albums have always had the aura of reduced simplicity.

davenav, Smiler, John Manning and 2 others like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think you hit the nail on the head here, with Friends especially. :righton:

8. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Ah ! Ok... in which case you're missing the 2016 solo version, cut BEFORE McGrath and Stamos came aboard... and issued as a limited edition...

FJFP likes this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

Waterloo, IA. I’ll bet my dad saw that show. I’ll have to ask him.

coniferouspine and picassoson like this.
  10. pool_of_tears

7digital...for the live 67 set in flac. Might’ve been $46 or so...still a decent deal

Shawn likes this.
  11. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Does this whole show circulate? This is the one where Mike supposedly cussed out the audience, correct?

John Manning likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Please let us know on this thread if/when the Live 1968 becomes available there, especially if it's that price.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

We should start a separate live thread. The McCartney people would. :D

14. pool_of_tears

I’ll keep checking!

supermd likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was too impatient to wait until lossless became available for these two releases and bought them on iTunes, but I am more patient about the live material. :)

16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

These new 68' live songs, except for the London shows, they are all mono??
    The London songs sound amazing in terms of quality, but the other one's aren't as flash.
    Were they just recorded so the guys could get an idea of how it was sounding out front?
    Would love to know how they were recorded, and why more care wasn't taken during the recording process.

18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Is Bruce wearing one shoe or none?

Six Bachelors likes this.
  19. Pants Party

I'm going to say no shoes. Cool cover.

20. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

The quote reply function is not working, so I'll do it manually - Rick Bartlett wrote:
    "These new 68' live songs, except for the London shows, they are all mono??
    The London songs sound amazing in terms of quality, but the other one's aren't as flash.
    Were they just recorded so the guys could get an idea of how it was sounding out front?
    Would love to know how they were recorded, and why more care wasn't taken during the recording process."

The answer is, these were mono soundboard recordings made for no other purpose than for the band to review the show later. The tapes were often reused, so some shows would be recorded over by later ones. Luckily, these survived to see the light of day.

21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I ordered the yearly subscription last week and made a note I wanted to start with the Friends issue - hope I made the first round! :D

I should have gotten the Wild Honey issue at the time, may order that too.

Jeff

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

5.oo AM here in Europe....this set is not out, that I can see. Didn't they release Live 1967 on the 29th or something last year? They my have delayed release due to the other two albums being well received or selling a bit more than expected?

23. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

It’s on Spotify US.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

As far as live material is concerned, the 1972/1973 recordings are just a few years away. Awesome.

25. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Wow, the samples of the live 1968 stuff I’ve listened to are smokin’. I’m really looking forward to digging into this over the weekend.