Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

According to the Smiley Smile board, Alan Boyd apparently has said there will be a digital-only release containing fragments, vocal-only, alternates and instrumental tracks from Friends and 20/20, and summer '68 concert material.

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Excellent news. Can't Wait Too Long sessions. I want them. Old Man River as well.

3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

This set has the potential to be just as good as Sunshine Tomorrow, depending in what exists in the vaults.

#1: "Can't Wait Too Long" -- The great lost Beach Boys song. Could some parts we've never heard before turn up? I'd do terrible things to hear any previously unreleased verse vocals.

#2: The "lost" 1968 album -- Based on the existent session info, it seems the follow-up to Friends was going to be something very different before Brian was hospitalized. What else is out there?

#3: Manson Brother Records stuff -- Probably not a chance in hell this will be included, but from a historical perspective it would be fascinating to hear, particularly if there is any BB involvement.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

I sure hope this comes out inFLAC

5. Chris M

Well said. I'm not an expert but I believe the early Friends sessions include We're Together Again, I Went To Sleep, Old Man River, Can't Wait Too Long, Walk On By, Time To Get Alone, Do It Again and something called Walkin'....is this accurate?

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This ended up becoming "Morning Beat" on Brian's "Lucky Old Sun" album.

7. Chris M

Ah, that song. Thanks my friend.

8. Mechanical Man

Technically the early 20/20 sessions but yeah, without checking I think you named most of it. Perhaps "Sail Plane Song" might have been on there too, as well as some of Dennis's music like "Mona Kana". It would have been a very different record, for sure.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The story as reported in a couple of accounts is that the only one involved was Stephen Desper recording Manson on his guitar. Brian and possibly Marilyn were in the house but did not go to the studio. Dennis dropped him off and only after he had left listened to the tapes and was intrigued by Cease to Exist.

pablo fanques and marmalade166 like this.
  11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

No - and I was really, and still am on the lookout - CD quality 16bit, but that's it. I'm just really glad to have a sequel to that one at all - I love Beach Boys studio sessions.

Jeff

Ken K likes this.
  12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Too bad. Really enjoyed Sunshine Tomorrow, reading the booklet and all and having that crystal clear sound. 1968 was such an amazing year for the Beach Boys, in terms of growth and material. Even if their successes were in and out of slumps around this time, stateside at least, Friends is an amazing album, one of their best, has aged better in some respects than even Pet Sounds. 20/20 has a delightful hodgepodge of material but may be the weak link in terms of coherent albums. That said, Time to Get Alone, Never Learn Not to Love, Cabinessence, I Can Hear Music; some of their absolutely best moments. I even enjoy The Nearest Faraway Place. Very atmospheric lounge music, even if it borders on schmaltz now and again.

Still hoping for a cohesive box set of some sort... Japan CD's here, twofers there, stereo/mono here and there... Give me the entire 1962-1985 output on CD with each album separate and a bonus disc of singles, material from Made in California, Thirty Years Of: Good Vibrations etc. etc...

granata, Shawn, John Manning and 6 others like this.
  13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

In the back of my mind (pun intended), I've been planning "super deluxe" versions of every album, pretty much exactly as you describe. Mono/stereo mixes, plus every conceivable stray track from everything in my collection (bonus tracks, box sets, etc.)

When I eventually get around to it, I'll be sure to post my full track listings for everyone to see.

granata, KirkK, Mr. D and 4 others like this.
  14. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Finally getting to the better stuff and they avoid a physical release....that Sucks.

The MEZ, Shawn, John Manning and 4 others like this.
  15. Mechanical Man

Since Desper made that statement confirming the session he recorded in 1969, new information has come to light. There was at least one prior session in mid-'68 at Brian's house, with Mike and possibly Brian in attendance in addition to Dennis. Dianne Lake was swimming in Brian's pool at the time of the session and describes the fall-out in detail in her book.

Chris M likes this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Coming mid to late December... Alan Boyd said "Lots of interesting tracks and fragments from the FRIENDS and 20/20 sessions. New track and a cappella mixes too, alternate versions and a batch of concert tapes from the 1968 summer tour."

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Looking forward to this! Still...wish it would be released on cd...

18. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Insider Howie Edelson says the set is a gamechanger.

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  19. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I'm very excited for this - any Beach Boys archival project is always good value!

20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

1968 was a very productive time for Brian contrary to the fables of him taking to his bed for years. It’ll be interesting to see what the FRIENDS sessions reveals.

Tord, oldsurferdude and Mr. H like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Please explain "copyright extension release". Which extension are you referring to? In the EU copyright was extended to 70 years a few years ago for sound recordings that weren't in the public domain yet, with a few exceptions.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

This period produced some of the most subtly beautiful music they ever did. This set will be a gem if it’s anything like the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey sets.

23. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

The copyright term for sound recordings in the EU was extended a few years back to 70 years *from the date of publication* (public release, e.g. on LP/CD, essentially).

But if a recording has never been "published", the copyright term is still 50 years from the date the recording was made.

The distinction is intended to force record labels and rightsholders sitting on unreleased material to "use it or lose it."

So studio outtakes, etc, from 1968 will fall into the public domain unless they are published by the end of this year.

If they are published, then they are entitled to the 70-year copyright term from the date of that publication. So, by releasing sets like these, the label's copyright is effectively extended.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's why I said "with a few exceptions" :)

25. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

While I'm glad to hear this -- I really hope we're not talking about another MP3-only release. I'm still sitting out the Live Sunshine release like a Mr. Grumpy-pants. To me, $50 for MP3 files simply means that album doesn't exist yet.

[​IMG]