Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not sure. All I know is its free!

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Just use XLD for Mac and convert to ALAC - burn losslessly to disc, play in iTunes lossless, no problems...

5. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Thanks for your time and help, Beatlened and cubbykat. :righton: I used the same application (anymp4.com) but changed the FLAC file conversion from mp3 to ALAC and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks again :wave:

cubbykat likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Ok, I finally saved up enough $1 Amazon digital credits to make the purchase of the live set less painful financially.

Has anybody figured out the best way of organizing these shows for burning to CD? If I try to stick two shows on one disc it tends to run 8 minutes long (aside from the two Palladium shows which fit just right). I could just not be such a cheap skate and give each show it's own disc but that's a lot of wasted space. I was able to space the Live Sunshine shows out just right but this time not so much.

Hep Alien and MRamble like this.
  7. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m still seething that I can’t get a physical release of this essential material, especially when I think of all the horrible crap available on CD. Please excuse my old guy rant.

8. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

It's a perfectly any guy rant to me. It's pretty ridiculous that this couldn't have had a limited physical release of 5,000 or so.

9. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

The Beach Boys seem to fit into a weird kind of category in terms of popularity, with sales expectations apparently too high (or licensing costs too high) to flirt with limited or boutique releases ala the Monkees, yet their deep catalog releases for the most part don't deliver the numbers they would evidently desire in a "mainstream" release ala the Beatles.

10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I get it. But it's this or nothing. And I'd rather have it than not at all!

11. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I haven't burned them to disc yet -- but in Foobar, that's exactly how I have each show labeled/organized/tagged.

The Beach Boys On Tour 1968, Disc 1: Live In Chicago, IL
    The Beach Boys On Tour 1968, Disc 2: Live In Fargo, ND
    etc.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. I think increased royalties for the Beach Boys may have something to do with it.

coniferouspine and Lance LaSalle like this.
  13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Of course I'd rather have it than not. Call me old school or whatever, I like physical product.

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

after spending some time on this site (LOTS of bootlegs mixed in with official releases and NO word whatsoever about means of acquisition or royalties paid, actual list of artists semi-obscured) I was certain of the site's illegitimacy. However, the micro links on the bottom of the site lead to the 7digital corporate, which appears to be a publically traded company. So, I don't really know what to think.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Legitimate vendor. I'm not clear on all of the applicable laws, but it's possible that distribution of some of the material available there, permissible without infringement of rights in some countries, particularly in the U.K. where 7digital is based, may nevertheless infringe on rights that are still current in other countries, particularly in the U.S.

Perhaps some culling will take place if Universal and others take notice and then action.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Why the heck do these downloads cost more than the cd would??

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Because you guys are getting ripped off.

For the FLAC versions:
    7 Digital USA I can hear music is $27US
    7 Digital Canada I can hear music is $17 Canadian ($13 US)

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can we just buy them on the Canada website?

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not without masking your IP address.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But I buy stuff on Ebay Canada and Amazon Canada with no problems.

21. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Not all e-commerce websites have the same policies/restrictions. Some websites require you use an IP from within the country and some also require a credit card issued in that country.

yesstiles likes this.
  22. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Looking to download these sets in FLAC format. I'm in Europe. Is 7Digital the only option ?

23. Daniel Plainview

I still don't understand why we aren't getting more physical product. I mean NEW physical product. It was bad enough the 1968 sets were download only, but another Record Store Day has passed where they could have issued something... anything... from the vaults.

Lei'd In Hawaii reconstruction? 50th Anniversary live album? Friends/Little Bird 45 on translucent blue vinyl with an autographed photo of Maharishi? Nope. All we got last year was that "super exciting" Royal Philharmonic album (and I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel was being prepped as we speak). Yeah, I know we got a Dennis Wilson solo single, but I'm still mad.

Why do they underestimate The Beach Boys fan base? We gotta sit here on our hands and watch fans of Dylan, The Stones, Bowie, etc. getting cool archival physical product on a regular basis. We came out in droves to support "Sunshine Tomorrow". Was it not enough to restore faith in the physical sales potential?

How about a fully remixed "Friends" album? Scared of low sales? Limit it to 3000 for Record Store Day. Them sum bitches will move, dammit, trust me. There is money to be made and grubby hands to be filled! Why can't we get in on the action? Give us things to buy, dammit!

Look, just press the 1969 set to CD, okay? If you want to make it a limited edition fancy thing like the Monkees sets FINE. Just give me something to hold!

If The Beach Boys are really amongst the Big Four (take your pick), then start acting like it with cool new physical product. Our fan base is just as good and determined as those of The Stones, The Dylan, The Beatles, Elvis.

I put it to you, Jerry... isn't this an indictment of America's Band? Well, you can do whatever you want to us fans, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!!!!

Hmmm hmm hmm hmm hmmm hmm hmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmm........

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Hep Alien, The MEZ, supermd and 10 others like this.
  24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

In terms of physical product, to me, it seems like the labels are most interested in celebrated warhorse albums only. I wouldn't be surprised if, in their minds, the Beach Boys didn't make great albums outside of Pet Sounds. (The opposite of what they thought in 1966).

Based on some posts here, it seems like our allies in the industry are doing everything they can to sneak these downloads out the back door, while the Execs are on a potty-break.

25. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Decades of physical releases and we never got those cool few exclusive minutes of “Been Way Too Long” that showed up on these sets. Something that beautiful, and a few tracks later... “The Gong.”

Let’s not rock the boat, fellas. These sets are too special and strange to be shoehorned into physical media.

Hep Alien, factory44, D.B. and 3 others like this.