"Beach Boys: An American Band" documentary on DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPartyka, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High Thread Starter

I just saw a listing on Amazon for an inexpensive DVD containing both the Beach Boys: An American Band documentary from the '80s, and the Don Was-directed b&w Brian Wilson doc I Just Wasn't Made for These Times on a single disc. Looks like it's been available since December; I hadn't heard about it.

Has anyone checked it out?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No, but did you get the "Endless Harmony" DVD Yet? It has some DD 5.1 mixes of some songs, and the documentary is great... Brian in his studio with a copy of the Pet Sounds multis...

[​IMG]

3. JPartyka

Oh yes, I've had that one since Day One. Great disc. Just watched it last weekend, in fact.

An American Band isn't as good, but it does have some priceless footage, like Brian singing "Surf's Up" at the piano at home in 1966, and the Belushi/Aykroyd "let's go surfing now" skit with Brian, among other things ... I have it on VHS, but was wondering how they did with the DVD transfer. (Maybe I should have put this in the Visual Arts forum?)

4. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Jeff,

I have it. Great to have on DVD (I thought the release of ENDLESS HARMONY might mean it would never make it to DVD), but it definitely hasn't undergone any restoration. The picture quality is roughly equivalent to my old VHS copy. And, yes, it is the full-length version with the "Fire" material.

Jay

5. JPartyka

Thanks Jay ... Maybe I'll pass on it then, since my VHS is still in good shape, and I already have the Brian documentary on DVD.

6. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

You're welcome, Jeff. I prefer to have them both on DVD for archival purposes (plus I only have a VCR in the basement now), and the price is definitely right for the twofer. I got the DVD from www.deepdiscountdvd.com for $9.96 (shipped!) back in December. They're still selling it for that same price.

Jay

7. JPartyka

Hmm, looks like that's still their price. Not bad. Maybe I will get it ... After all, now that I've said "I'll just keep the VHS," the tape will probably snap or get eaten next time I watch it ... :sigh:

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I bought it when it came out (for $13.99!). It is a must have for Beach Boy fans as a lot of the footage didn't make it in Endless Harmony. My favorite moment is them performing Break Away in Prague 1968.

9. JWB

JWB New Member

Audio aside...

I found it embarrassing and painful to watch for the most part.

The footage and editing is (IMO) ultra cheesy.

Why did they feel the need to interview Jackson Browne and Sean Lennon at such great length? :confused:

10. :agree: What the hey does Sean Lennon know about Pet Sounds? Sheesh.

Is this "An American Band" documentary the one that ends just after Dennis Wilson passes away? Is this the documentary that various Beach Boys themselves, Carl Wilson, and Bruce Johnson IIRC, are actually narrating on camera.

If it is it plays regularly on the Canadian specialty channel, Bravo Canada. I enjoy some of the alternate mixes and takes on various songs, such as "Time To Get Alone" from 20/20. I wonder how the documentarians get access to such material.

Thanks. :)

11. JPartyka

Sounds like you're describing the right one, yes.

It does (on VHS, anyway) have some cool alternate mixes, particularly of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" from Pet Sounds ... but I noticed that someone, in one of the customer reviews on Amazon's site, mentioned that these two, at least, were replaced on the DVD with the "new" stereo mixes. Not good. :realmad:

12. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

Fellows, am I the only poor guy who hear Beach Boys (Brian Wilson?) singing always slightly out of tune in their higher voice. It detracts me from their music a bit. Anyway Good Vibrations is a nice tune. And definitely there are other ones.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Jeff,
    Pick it up! It's a keeper and at that price you'll love yourself forever! A great DVD to own...especially for a Beach Boy fan!

14. Michael

Ummm, Brian has letter perfect pitch! nobody comes close to his fantastic falsetto! He -is- the Beach Boys signature sound!

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I believe they had access to select multis from Capitol's Beach Boys archives. From what I have read, these are the same tapes that Sea Of Tunes used for their 5 disc "Smile Sessions" boot. Great sound on the SOT set but a little monotonous after hearing Mike Love overdub the same voice part for the fifth time!

16. Michael

You believe that myth? I've heard different...You saw that myth on that Beach Boys site?

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Hi Michael-
    Not sure exactly where I saw it but If I remember correctly, I was sent a link to some Beach Boys SOT related sites sometime last year and this was the explanation given for how SOT obtained copies of the (Smile) tapes. Like many, I don't believe everything I read online but it seems like a plausible explanation. Do you know for sure how they obtained the tapes? (or any of their great BB session material?)

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The reason why Sean Lennon is interviewed is that he is a Pet Sounds fanatic. He has said he listens to the album every day.

Great documentary, though I still have it on VHS only. I like the different mixes of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" & "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".

19. JPartyka

I just ordered a copy of the American Band/Just Wasn't Made for These Times two-fer DVD. What the heck, for less than $10 shipped, why not ...

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

20. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Excellent, Jeff! A twofer at that price is a steal.

Jay

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This release is a MAJOR disappointment. I have the remastered with 5.1 AC-3 sound laserdisc & it wipes the floor with the DVD. The pro-logic mix on the DVD sounds much more echoey & phasey than the 5.1, which is much more natural sounding. Why they reverted to the Dolby mix is beyond me. The picture is pretty much identical (which is ALSO a disappointment). Love the documentary, however.

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Obviously, this DVD wasn't a project that had a lot of thought and effort put into it. If it was, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times would have been widescreen. However, to me, it's more than sufficient to replace my old video tape versions, which is all I was really looking for in this release.

23. JPartyka

Same for me, really.

24. "Beach Boys Lost Concert" on DVD

If you are a big Beach Boys fan, the "Beach Boys Lost Concert" on DVD is fun to watch. It was recorded at the time that they were recording "car songs". It looks like it was recorded in a high school auditorium. They are wearing white pants and stripped shirts. All their guitars are white Fenders and their amps are beige Fenders. Brian looks kind of freaked out, especially when someone, maybe him, plays a clunker note!!!

I saw the Beach Boys in the early 1960's, and this DVD is exactly as I remember the concert that I attended. The sound of the DVD is not very good, but who cares, If you are a big Beach Boy fan, it's a fun DVD to watch.

25. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Me, too. I thought it might never make it to DVD once ENDLESS HARMONY was produced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.