Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Thank you for the clarification, love your podcast! I haven't listened to this ep yet!

FJFP likes this.
  2. Another fantastic episode!

FJFP likes this.
  3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

That's incredibly kind of you both! To keep things on topic, I have a slightly on topic question. I'd read back in the thread that the SACD of Smiley had a couple of tweaks to the stereo mix. Is anyone able to confirm what these may be? I do have a copy, but small tweaks to remixes are a little less obvious when breaking them down, as someone who hasn't listened to the stereo mix a whole lot. I'm also pretty desperately on the hunt for the Japanese 2012 CD, as this had some stereo mixes that were later changed for the US/EU 2012 stereo mix.

4. I can’t imagine how/why the 2012 Japan CD would have a different mix compared to the other 2012 Smiley Smile CD issues in other countries - do you have any further info on this? I’d assume the same digital master for that specific issue was shared across the territories but I guess weirder things have happened.

5. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The Japanese editions were released first, with no intention of releasing them elsewhere. There was enough of an uproar, mainly online, to get a more widespread release. Linnet then tweaked some of the new stereo mixes before the U.S. editions came out.

6. That explains it, thank you!

GetHappy!! likes this.
  7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So I finally got around to ordering all of the AP SACD’s at Acoustic Sounds today. Today! and Surf’s Up we’re “backordered”. I assume they will never be pressed again. Anyone know if I am right?

Dom W likes this.
  8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

same. Exactly.

9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The 2012 Japan stereo remix was the first released. It has different mixes for Little Pad and Wonderful - some overdubs were missing from Wonderful and some of the pauses in the Little Pad track were too long compared to the mono mix. There may be some other minor mix variations as well but those are the ones I recall. These were fixed for the mono/stereo US releases that followed. I haven’t heard of any tweaks to the SACD other than removing the brickwalling.

Lance LaSalle and Shawn like this.
  10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Actually, there’s a number of other more subtle differences in the mix on the Japanese CD. About half are the same, sadly they’re exported in a way that can’t be OOPS’d properly. Little Pad is actually closer to the mono edits in the Japanese.

Shawn and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

This is first I am hearing that the 2012 U.S. release of Smiley Smile is brickwalled. Is this really the case? It’s been almost 10 years since release. Funny it has taken this long for me hear about it. I always heard that it was one of the better remixes that were done.

12. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I find it loud, compressed and with unfortunate EQ choices (some of the EQ may be on the master tape). Just compare it to the SACD and you’ll see what I mean. However I will say the Smiley mono stereo was one of the better 2012 mono stereo released in terms of sound quality - Today and Summer Days were worse.

13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

The 2021s are a little compressed —about the same as the 2009 Beatles sets that I believe inspired them— but definitely not brickwalled like the 2001 twofers.

Main problem is the over trebly equalisation which I do believe the SACDs correct.

silvertrees and Jimi Bat like this.
  14. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I haven’t bought too many cd’s recently, but those 2001 HDCDs are not brickwalled, as compared to some that were released later in that decade.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I don’t know about the ones released later in the decade—maybe they are less compressed than The SOunds of Summer and other compilations. In fact my English three-disc Sounds of Summer is one of the the most brick walled things I own.

Yes they are not as bad as that but they are worse than the Brother Record twofers released around the same time and worse than the 2012s.

16. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I don't have the link, but someone on this forum had contacted them and their response was something to the effect of "don't hold your breath" for Surf's Up. I just started buying the AP releases a few weeks go and ran into the same problem with Surf's Up.

17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Ugh. Did you manage to find a copy of Today! ?

18. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

19. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

Of course the one time I have money for these gems and they are basically non-existent if you are trying to find them for MSRP.

Today! on ebay is going for $200-$300. Ridiculous how every facet of entertainment is being scalped these days....

20. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

No, I was happy with what I had with Today!, so I wasn't looking for that one.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yeah...I basically got them all the other day for $30 each which is fine.

Today! I found for $100 on eBay...not fine. Surf's Up cannot be found at any price.

22. JohnstonR65

JohnstonR65 Forum Resident

Where did you find them? If you don't want to reveal your secrets publicly you can always DM me!

23. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

So everything was still in stock for $30 each at Acoustic Sounds online except PS, Today, and Surf's Up.

I already had PS.

Shawn and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Correction: It was on Amazon used for $100. If your willing to pay it, here you go: Beach Boys - Today! - Amazon.com Music

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Surfs Up SACD is in stock at Acoustic.

Brian Mc and Lance LaSalle like this.