BEACH BOYS in early 1983 .....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoodKitty, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Yeah, I know I said I was checking out of all this but...
    just found an article from The Honolulu Advertiser in April 83, with Carolyn Williams being angry about being forced out, claiming Brian was being held against his will by Landy and had sent a telegram from Hawaii wanting to be rescued from him, plus claims she's hording tapes of Brian's music, even implies Landy was drugging Brian that early
    :faint: :bigeek:

Article has a photo of Brian apparently from one of the two concerts this thread is about.

[​IMG]

Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  2. Lost In The Flood

TeddyB, MCE1965 and GoodKitty like this.
  3. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

Not only the Dead, but also Weir's side project Bobby & The Midnights. There were filming crews during all 3 days, but some acts declined to be filmed (The Clash in particular (d'OH!!!)).
    The Dead performed last on the bill, on the middle night (though it was sunrise by the time they got onstage, and by then I was so exhausted that I passed out on the nearby beach midway thru their set, so I can't say if their set was Jamaican loose or not.

Billy_Sunday, GoodKitty and Shawn like this.
  4. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I like it, I can't imagine them in the New Romantic look to be honest lol

5. Lost In The Flood

Dennis is meant to have either checked out Squeeze's performance or just talked to (some of) the band - glen tilbrook wrote a song about dennis telling him Squeeze shouldn't split up.

fake edit: https://www.powerofpop.com/power-of-pop-interview-glenn-tilbrook/
    "“Dennis” in particular was written about the late Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson. “When Squeeze first broke up in 1982, we played Soundsmash with the Beach Boys,” Tilbrook recounted, “and Dennis came up to me and told me that the band should just enjoy life and not split”. (Tragically, Wilson passed away a year later). This obviously left an impression on Tilbrook as evidenced in the heartfelt lyrics found on “Dennis”. "

The Clash were part of the second day (should have a cdr of that somewhere, got it from a fan forum, don't think I ever actually listened to it :rolleyes:)
    - sometimes wonder if any of The Clash/Beach Boy swatched or encountered each other - Joe being a Beach Boys fan pre-Clash (+post to the point of trying to turn Sean Lennon onto them, before he eventually got into The Beach Boys , & probably during) Forget exactly where I read this but apparently Joe loved Surfer Girl.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd Thread Starter

Thank you for this ! :tiphat:

(this first pic is not really readable after going through PostImage
    but the original scan through WeTransfer is great, so grab it while you can.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have not heard from Justa Justa....
    My feeling at this point is that Brian was not at the Maui concert (she'd probably have gotten a photo of him if he was?),
    and that the photo @Craig Slowinski has spoken of is probably the one above/below from the Oahu concert. The newspaper article doesn't really say how well that Oahu show went with Brian, just that it happened.

I searched a bit but couldn't find anything that says where that Oahu concert happened. This photo doesn't look outdoors so my guess is that it was inside at Blaisdell Arena ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Dennis has been gone for so long, it seems like a rip in time for him to have been a fan of Squeeze. If he had pulled himself together, it would have been interesting to have seen him throughout the 80s and on and how he would have navigated the waters of contemporary music. He was the one least moored to the conventions of Beach Boy music.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I saw the Beach Boys in 1983 as well. It was in San Diego after a Padres game, and I think Dennis was there (Brian definitely wasn't). Wish I could verify for certain, but I'm fairly sure I can recall him drumming - but that could be a false memory as I enjoyed the band at the time, but wasn't so into them then that I would have memorized who was on stage.

9. Trainspotting

10. Trainspotting

Jesus, Brian was there too. Ya learn something new everyday...

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Man, these guys really loved their own merch.

Has anyone ever looked cool wearing their own band's merch onstage? :laugh:

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

with the exception of Mike Love's sartorial splendor. Say what you will about Mr. Love, but he knows how to dress for the occasion.

lordcat, S. P. Honeybunch and Shawn like this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

A wonderful book btw

bigal00769 and Shawn like this.
  14. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

1982 and 1983 have always been some of my most explored years for the Beach Boys, mainly because of the drama and awkwardness. Obviously not too much going on in the studio. Some of their live clips or boots are pretty interesting. I must have posted this a thousand times and listened to it just as many. What is up with this version of this particular song at this particular date? Nothing about it makes sense but it rocks something fierce!!

South Africa December 1981-January 1982 - would love to see more. A few years back there was a clip from a Mike Douglas (?!) in January 1982 where Dennis spoke and looked like he did in 1979... Brian was there... Some cordial interplay and chatter between the guys (all were there minus Carl)... Can't find the clip anymore. And I never heard Labor Day. Wonder if it ever was booted. Know nothing about the BB booty business. Just a rubbernecker and a very bad one at that. Lol.

15. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

Rocky Pamplin regularly punching him in the face ... You mean Carl was being punched in the face....

Speaking about Carl I shaked his hand in 1991 when I saw TBB for the first time playing Holmdel NJ .... And he literally was about to walk off the stage but he kept seeing me reach out my hand... And he turned around ran up and did that and I looked at him and I when I looked at him from like 2 feet I sensed he didn't look very well or something like that it was only a few seconds but then when he passed about 6 years later for some reason I wasn't surprised ... I was just introduced to the Pet Sounds side ( meaning I knew of their hit but not their history up to then and up to that point for the music I was into I didn't know if they were a surfing band which I liked Jan And Dean because of that movie with Richard Hatch ...
    Also regarding Carl anyone own the Knebworth DVD... Just recently I watched it and there were doing Surfer Girl and Dennis was up in the front and Mike Love was literally backing off when Dennis got near him .... And then as the song was over Carl went bonkers on stage and look like he was very close to deck Mike Love because looks like he either said something or pushed Dennis away and Carl saw that and Dennis grabbed Carl and Al stopped him by making his bow and that calmed down Carl ... Brian also on that show actually it was great to see everyone on that stage great DVD maybe the best there is of that era ... I also saw another Beach Boys show in NJ in a theater I can't remember the year but I seen Brian on the Smile tour and a show he did in the same theater I saw Love's BB show which I guess was alright Bruce was the only one left Jardine wasn't there either. And my last 2012 50th anniversary in Holmdel. And freaked out when I saw the videos of the LAST Brian Wilson tour... I was shocked by his condition and was just like gone ... Like maybe turning 80 I don't know the story ...

But I didn't even know their names until 1990.... Because I was 21 and by the point I got into Dylan and a lot of what call golden era icons... I just was oblivious ... Or The Kinks for that matter same exact story... I was a INSANE fan of The Beatles and The Who and most of them..... But a musician friend of mine literally knew what I didn't own or know in my collection. And he be like every week ever hear Marvin Gaye What's Going On I would be like no ? Then I HEARD IT and GOD appeared before me... You know stuff like that Kinks Dylan say them first time ... Kinks was the drab UK Jive tour but was a excellent show also in Holmdel NJ I even saw them on the Phobia tour in would you believe it... The Stone Pony .... I met both Ray and Dave ... they came out of taxi's. Friendly but ya know didn't chat or anything .. I think Ray said something funny to me I had Arthur in my hands... And he was like hmmm Arthur ... And then I saw Dylan twice in 1990 1991 and I was just getting into his music but at that point he was incoherent on stage seemed drunk and both shows and just didn't care about anything it seems... ( Under a red sky era probably wasn't the happiest time in his life ) But here is something strange I discovered about Dylan in 1990 there's videos floating around on You Tube ... He played like two nights at the Beacon Theater and I kid you not the show I saw he looked like a beggar with a hat you could barely see him... The other show he's not wearing a hat and was wearing like a Neil Diamond outfit like a black vest and you know completely different attitude and appearance and performance like directly from Tom Petty tour... I'm like is the guy schizo.... Then he's wearing in 1991 the same beggar like hat and you know a coat sound was horrible... They're still there Beacon Theater 1990 ... Every song I had to ask my friend who asked me if I wanted to go and I was like yeah because I was being blown away by what I was hearing on CD's ( no Dylan vinyl yet ) I heard The Bootleg Tapes Volume 1 and couldn't believe the early out takes that existed there was ton of them that never made it LP but they're classics. Columbia could of made two LP's a year with Bob then from like 1962-1964 ....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Billy_Sunday and jpgr78 like this.