Beach Boys Pet Sounds Sessions box question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stillrockin, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

I have studied the contents list for the 1996 Pet Sounds Sessions 4cd box against the 50th Anniversary box set ( the one with the blu ray audio) and I am not sure that I am missing anything song wise if I only have the latter one. Is there any good soul who can confirm that for me? Does the 1996 set have any sonic advantage over the anniversary set in terms of the cds?

Thanks!

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Everything from the 96' version is in the 50th anniversary edition, with only extra tracks in the 50th.
    Sonic advantage?
    That depends on your ears, I prefer the original myself.

3. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Rick. Busy time for box sets as everyone has noted. I might try to pick up the '96 set used.

4. Rick Bartlett

A lot of us that pick up the 50th box, is just to have the new tracks.
    I'm not sure without checking, but I think the stereo version of 'wouldn't it be nice' on the 50th edition features
    the Mike bridge version instead of Brian.
    Anybody remember off the top of their heads?

5. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Don't overpay.

I missed the opportunity to pick up the 96 box for around $40/used and I slept on it and it literally got sold out from under me.

Wound up grabbing the 50th AV box for $20 used not one week later, and it was like new, and it sounds fantastic.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  6. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I'd have to go back and listen again, but it probably does - it was released during Mike's stewardship of the BB brand.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

I believe it was more of a 'Brian had a change of heart', and that technology allowed to subtract Mike's vocal from
    the original mono and was able to incorporate it, hence making it more like the original mono.
    Same as Brian's double tracked vocal on 'you still believe in me'.
    Technology allowed to 'improve' on the 96' stereo version.....

8. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Something is wrong with this 50th anniversary version. For example, it sounds like the first half a second of Wouldn't It Be Nice is cut out. It doesn't clink. Maybe it's because they DNRed this part.

9. Does anybody know whether the U.K. blu-ray from the U.K. edition of the 50th boxset will play on American blu-ray players? The question is whether there is a regional code in the U.K. blu-ray version that could not be read on an American blu-ray player?

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

11. I am referring to the 50th anniversary edition with the blu-ray. The 1996 box didn't have a blu-ray with it because Blu-Ray discs hadn't been released yet.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I wasn't replying to your post, just asking a question about the box set, since the title of the thread is "Beach Boys Pet Sounds Sessions box question". I am surprised that the original box set is still in print, if that is in fact what is sold, it has a 2015 release date, but I find no information to indicate it having been reissued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.