Beach Boys Sail On Sailor with Carl Wilson lead!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How can anyone listen to that and think it's Carl? Blondie all the way.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How can anyone listen to it and think it's a different vocal from the released version?

3. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I had to stop following this thread and the Smiley board for this very reason. I did that sync in about 5 minutes so it's not perfect, but good enough for anyone but the most obstinate or hard-of-hearing to hear it's an identical vocal. But those that, for whatever reason, believe it is Carl Wilson cannot be convinced at this point, so best to let them live in their imaginary world. I'm envious of anyone that can listen to the Holland "Sail On Sailor" and fool themselves into hearing Carl do it, but at least I have live versions with Carl singing that I can enjoy without the need for self-delusion.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It would be one thing if the argument was simply that *both* must be Carl. Not that I would agree, but there would at least be consistency. But this:

The vocals are identical. Same. Vocal. Track.

5. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

This is peripheral to the thread but I found this while looking for something else in a December 1970 issue of RS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  6. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Welp it's done, the site has been taken down until further notice:

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"All my website says is that Carl Wilson sang on the a cappello segment provided."

Which is, without a question, wrong. Pointing that out isn't bullying.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is why we can't have nice things.

MRamble and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why?

10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Website closed. Can't say I'm surprised this would happen

11. Shaheed70

Shaheed70 Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen ill intent, rudeness, or bullying on the part of anyone in this thread. On the contrary, to my reading everyone (even in cases of disagreement) appears to be behaving with politeness and respectfulness reflective of the storied status of our guest historian. Unfortunately the only thing I see that could be construed as bullying is removing the site rather than just amending the incorrect information. “To err is human; to forgive, divine”. I hope that Mr. Desper finds it within himself to forgive this relatively minor error that would have been quickly forgotten if not for the strange digging in of heels demonstrated over 5 pages here (and I have yet to even see about over on smiley smile).

Shawn, Wata, Silken and 4 others like this.
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Mr. Desper knows SO much about The Beach Boys and was utterly instrumental in shaping the sound of their two best albums, not counting stereo deprived Pet Sounds: Sunflower and Surf’s Up. Often the more you know about a subject and the more personal direct experience you have with it, memories in turn become more complicated and truths aren’t always so simple/black and white. Some of the criticism of Mr. Desper on this thread clearly is over the top, overreaching, and offensively dismissive. It reminds me of how some people astoundingly put down Sir George Martin and even are rudely dismissive of him because he might have occasionally misremembered and/or meshed his extensive knowledge and direct personal experience with The Beatles in a manner that technically might not have been 100 percent perfect and accurate but usually STILL contained a larger truth nevertheless. “Gotcha” journalism is nothing I can respect. Particularly when it loses all perspective and is unfairly one dimensional and imbalanced.

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The logic behind “it throws ALL the other information into question” is severely lacking, overreaching, and thoughtlessly dismissive.

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Source?

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Weak attempt at discrediting. EVERYONE is deteriorating. He still is very sharp and has retained extensive knowledge. Even if he does sometimes misremember. Or gets things confused at times. Your post is ageist. My father is 89 and very sharp. Even if he is “deteriorating”. Similar to Mr. Desper. Or any of us on this forum above 50 or 60 years old.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I don't disagree that the exchanges have been at least confrontational. Both sides. Not to excuse it, but it's become part of the current Keyboard Warrior culture we live in.

But exactly how does one make the point that the incontrovertible fact is that this is Blondie, not Carl, on the vocal?

Silken, Pelvis Ressley and lukpac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.