Beach Boys - "Spirit Of Rock And Roll" video

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

I just found this on another board and I thought I'd alert people here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VcjrJqgY0&search=Beach%20Boys

This is Brian in full-on Landy/thin mode. I believe that what we're seeing here is from the closing credits of the Beach Boys' 25th Anniversery special in 1986. This song was originally produced with Gary Usher, and I think that is the version we are hearing. However, I believe the other guys are also singing. If I remember correctly, playing this song at the end of the event was a stipulation Landy required for Brian to attend.

I think this song is beyond catchy and its a shame it wasn't released.

2. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Thanks Dave,

I had never seen this video. Altough I have at least two versions of this song, I don't think it's one of his best efforts. Very Eighties.

3. Chief

I think the melody of the verse is one of the best up-tempo melodies Brian has written, even going back to the early Beach Boys. The chorus is strained though.

4. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Word is that the song will be legitimately released very soon -- albeit in a re-recorded version with Brian's new band. From esquarterly.com, the website of the long-running fanzine Endless Summer Quarterly (of which I happen to be the former co-editor):

Hallmark is set to market a cool new Beach Boys compilation CD in the Spring of 2006 including recent studio material from Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and Mike Love as well as previously unreleased live recordings from 1989 and 1974. The CD is planned for distribution to Hallmark branded specialty retail establishments (i.e. Hallmark Gold Crown); and by mail order via Hallmark.com around Father's Day. Hallmark is also considering re-releasing the CD a second time to a larger distribution base in 2007.

The live performances are: tracks 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 recorded in 1989 include Brian; tracks 3 and 9 were recorded in 1974. THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL: Brian has gone back into the studio to record this track. PT CRUISER: Al’s fun, rev ’em up recording about the popular car, featuring Matt and Adam Jardine on backing vocals. COOL HEAD, WARM HEART: Mike’s track features his son Christian Love on backing vocals.

1) Intro
    2) DANCE DANCE DANCE
    3) WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
    4) SURFER GIRL
    5) KOKOMO
    6) Car Medley Intro
    7) LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
    8) I GET AROUND
    9) GOOD VIBRATIONS
    10) THE SPIRIT OF ROCK AND ROLL (Brian Wilson - Gary Usher - Tom Kelly)
    11) PT CRUISER (Al Jardine)
    12) COOL HEAD, WARM HEART (Mike Love)

Lee

5. Chief

I heard about this, and its... uh, mind blowing. :help:

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The soon-to-be-released version is a new recording by Brian and his current band.

There are two finished studio versions of the song on the two versions of the (unreleased) Brian Wilson album Sweet Insanity. The second version features guest vocalist Bob Dylan. Those recordings are from 1989/1990.

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Cool! I think. It's kinda like "Still Cruisin'" though - a few new tracks and whole buncha old ones we've all had 17 copies of before.

JEFF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.