Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Would you settle for the high res downloads from AP web store, assuming they’re still available?

2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I don't typically buy downloads but if that's all there is available, I'd consider it for the couple stereo albums I need.

Al Smith likes this.
  3. BWilson

BWilson Forum Resident

Wanna trade :D

Revolver likes this.
  4. BWilson

BWilson Forum Resident

Well, I got my answer from Acoustic Sounds : « Beach Boys/ Today will be pressed in the future but we do not have a date of when it will be back in stock. »

So I will not rush and buy a 150$ copy on Discogs quite yet

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In the recent Kevin Gray interview on the Acoustic Sounds youtube channel, Chad Kassem, the owner of Acoustic Sounds, mentioned that the Beach Boys albums had been difficult to sell, so I'm not sure how anxious they will be to repress this one. On the other hand, he also mentioned that mono and stereo versions were eating into each other's sales, so the fact that both mono and stereo versions have sold out makes a repress more likely.

David Matthew Horn likes this.
  6. David Matthew Horn

David Matthew Horn Well-Known Member

Been on a beach boys kick as of late and I for one would love them to repress this series! I'm surprised they haven't had wider appeal but at the same time, have always felt that the Beach Boys are still under appreciated beyond music aficionados. Maybe it's because they've been better known more for the singles than the LP's (aside from Pet Sounds)?

According to Michael Fremer's review, this is the order in which he'd recommend these reissues relative to what had been available previously.

1) Surfin’ USA (mono)
    2) Surfer Girl (stereo)
    3) All Summer Long (stereo)
    4) The Beach Boys Today! (mono)
    5) Summer Days (and Summer Nights)
    6) Pet Sounds (mono)
    7) Smiley Smile (mono)
    8) Sunflower
    9) Surf’s Up

Unfortunately, among the ones that are in stock at AS, they only seem to have the other mix, not the one Fremer recommends eg. Summer Days in stereo, not mono as he recommends.

7. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

So I was just curious as to why aside from 'Pet Sounds' they chose 'Surfer Girl' (Stereo) for the other 45 rpm release? I'm not complaining or anything it's a great album and an unbeliveable sounding record. Was just curious as to why that album and no others?

Captain Rogers likes this.
  8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I guess because it has the most consistently great stereo mix to a strong album of all the other Capitol era ones. The others are either digital remixes, inconsistent albums, or have flawed tracks (i.e. the first two tracks on All Summer Long).

Shawn likes this.
  9. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I agree. My collection includes the Surfer Girl 45 rpm and the 1982 (I think) MFSL pressing. If you ask me which one I like better, probably the MFSL, for the simple reason that I can stay seated for longer, without having to go flip the record over, lol. The songs on Surfer Girl are very, very short - not sure any of them are longer than three minutes long. If I had to choose, I think Surfin' USA would have been the wiser pick for a 45 rpm press. The songs are better and longer. Just my opinion.

10. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I think I'm joining the dark side. I'm usually one who's all about "original sound" or "original intention" and I love 'Pet Sounds' in mono and listen to it regularily. I think I'm liking the stereo mix better. Now don't get me wrong I love both and the AP 45 rpm records are the best I've heard this album. If I had to give the slight edge to one. I think I'm gonna have to say the stereo mix. If only slightly.

11. RecordCollectorYYZ

RecordCollectorYYZ Forum Resident

I'm trying to find a good copy of Friends and 20/20. I don't own Friends and was curious if I should go for an original rainbow label pressing, the 80's green label reissue, or the 2014 180 gram reissue. I've got a 1969 Canadian pressing of 20/20, but it is in pretty rough condition. The inner seam that hold the records is cleanly slipt open and the vinyl is quite noisy so I'm not completely sure if the pressing is any good anyways. Should I try to get an 80's reissue of that as well or the 2014 capitol 180 gram reissue. I like that the 2014 reissues try to look similar to the originals but which one sounds better and will be a better price?

12. attym

attym Forum Resident

For me the original rainbow label pressings blow away is a better option over the 2014. I place the Rainbow over the 80's Green label as well... 80's green label is a nice pressing, but I hear more detail in the original pressing. I've done several shootouts so I feel confident in my opinion (but its just my ears and opinion).

1. Original Rainbow Capitol
    2. 80's Green Label
    3. 2014

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    RecordCollectorYYZ likes this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

What's a good original Rainbow press to be on the lookout for? Every copy I've found, no matter how clean, has that late 60's Capitol muffleness to it. I got the 2014 just to have some clarity.

monomusic and FJFP like this.
  14. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

No love for the Reprise two-fer from the 70’s? That slightly beats my 80’s green label and I thought it was fairly general wisdom that the US Capitol rainbows are not great pressings.

bigal00769 likes this.
  15. RecordCollectorYYZ

RecordCollectorYYZ Forum Resident

I've only got 1 original rainbow pressing which is The Beach Boys Today duophonic. I figured it sounded bad because it was duophonic.

16. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

My original Scranton pressed Pet Sounds in mono, which is VG+, sounds like ass compared to all later reissues. I only keep it around for completist reasons. Any of the Analogue Productions mono/stereo and 45/33.3 rpm cuts bests all the others, including the two-fer and the DCC, which is a touch too warm for my liking but still very nice.

monomusic and Michael Ries like this.
  17. attym

attym Forum Resident

hmm, I need to find one and do a shoot out.
    For specific rainbow, I don’t know specifics but can’t post mine later. The horns (is it organ) in the title track pops off the rainbow and I almost didn’t hear it on the 2014

picassoson likes this.
  18. For Friends, between the Capitol 1968 and 80’s green label I give the ‘68 the edge. It’s not a huge difference but it’s there. I don’t have a 2014 nor a Reprise to compare.

For 20/20 the 2014 Capitol issue is notably better than the 1969 Capitol and the Reprise 20/20 (as part of the 20/20 / Wild Honey two-fee). The various copies I’ve heard of the 1969 issue were all cut at a low volume so surface noise/pops/clicks are particularly noticeable. All the ‘69 issues I heard were Los Angeles pressings. The 2014 version is the first one I’ve heard that didn’t sound like a blanket was over the speakers for side 1.

The above were listened to on my Technics 1200G / Raven Eagle / Martin Logan Aeon-i’s.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

FYI, Pet Sounds 33rpm stereo is back in stock at AS but also at a price increase of $60. I picked up the mono a few months ago when it came back at $40. I imagine it won't be too long before they're officially OOP.

lemonade kid and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  20. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Yikes! I grabbed the 2LP 45 RPM stereo edition back in July from them for less than that.:sigh:

mikeyt likes this.
  21. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Have never been a huge fan of Japanese pressings, particularly the Beatles, as they're bright enough to light up NYC at night. But I recently scored several 1977 Japan Beach Boys pressings, including Friends, and those sound really, really nice. I was pleasantly surprised. Not too much EQ-boost at all on those.

EdogawaRampo, mikeyt and Shawn like this.
  22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I kinda wish I had now, but I prefer the 33rpm for convenience and not breaking up the original sides. I thought they'd come back at $40 too. Oh well.

Pretty.Odd. and psulioninks like this.
  23. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I only purchased it as it was all they had available at the time. I rip my vinyl, so the convenience is definitely there for me now! LOL

Shawn and mikeyt like this.
  24. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I figured this day would come and they'd be going out of print and Pet Sounds would skyrocket. I mean one of the most lauded albums of all time done by Analogue Productions is a shoe in for exorbitant prices.

Shawn and mikeyt like this.
  25. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I went to get one for a friend a few weeks ago and the single disc mono is priced at $75!? Was flabbergasted.

I do hope these go back in print at $40-ish. When they made the change from 200g to 180g part of the reason was cost savings. To almost double the price on the 180g versions is pretty crazy. I scooped up a handful but are still missing a few I’d like, Smiley Smile and Sunflower in particular.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Pretty.Odd. and mikeyt like this.