Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Mine is EU and has CB in the dead wax - taken from the box set.

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Mine is not the box set version

FJFP likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ahhhh, needs a little discipline. But then we like rebels, let it play out!

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I'm a bit of a Beach Boys novice, but have been doing my thread digging research. Were these three tracks never done in true stereo like the other tracks? Meaning, were the stereo tracks done, but just not sent in for final production? I assume these newest AP reissues still have the three duophonic tracks then...in other words, they didn't find stereo tracks for these three after all on this reissue?

I am wanting to put together a nice sounding Endless Summer comp using these latest (and probably best) sounding albums. In short, I am trying to create a DCC gold Endless Summer from vinyl. If those three tracks were only done in mono, then it looks like I will have to purchase both a stereo and mono copy of this AP title.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

There are no vintage stereo mixes of these songs. Mark Linett has since gone back and made some (which appear on assorted CD editions, most recently the 2012 stereo/mono All Summer Long release) but the AP edition does not use them; they present "All Summer Long" in it's original form. Whether or not this is the right decision is up to the listener.

Clanceman likes this.
  6. psulioninks

Thanks for your reply.

So I guess it is safe to say that when Steve put together the DCC version of Endless Summer using mono tracks where true stereo tracks were not available, nothing has really changed since then as far as any of the stereo mixes go? Meaning, no new stereo tracks from the albums have been magically unearthed?

7. Daniel Plainview

Everything that was mono only has been since remixed by Mark Linett into stereo (in a couple of occasions extraction technology was utilized). I don't think there has ever been a case of a "lost" stereo mix showing up somewhere. Brian simply didn't bother to make a stereo mix for these tracks at the time.

• Surfin' U.S.A - original mono and vintage stereo mixes
    • Surfer Girl - original mono and vintage stereo mixes
    • Little Deuce Coupe - original mono and vintage stereo mixes except "409" and "A Young Man Is Gone"
    • Shut Down Volume 2 - original mono and vintage stereo mixes except "Denny's Drums" which is mono only
    • All Summer Long - original mono and vintage stereo mixes except for "I Get Around" (extraction remix available), "All Summer Long" (modern remix) and "Fave Recording Sessions" (mono only)
    • The Beach Boys Today - original mono mix and modern stereo remix
    • Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) - original mono mix and modern stereo remix (Rhonda & Girl Don't Tell Me are extraction remixes)
    • Beach Boys Party - original mono mix and modern stereo remix
    • Smiley Smile - original mono mix and stereo remix (Good Vibrations is an extraction remix)
    • Wild Honey - original mono and recent stereo remix (except for "How She Boogalooed It" from the organ solo to the end, which is mono).
    "Do It Again" has also appeared in remixed form on "Made in California", a big upgrade from the original fake-stereo version in my opinion.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Goldy, Pretty.Odd., Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  8. psulioninks

So, to accomplish what I want to do, I can purchase the AP stereo album titles for: Surfer Girl, Surfin' U.S.A., Shut Down Volume 2 and All Summer Long and then I will need to acquire the mono album versions for:

Surfin' Safari

"Surfin' Safari"

All Summer Long

"I Get Around"
    "All Summer Long"

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)

"Let Him Run Wild"
    "California Girls"
    "Girl Don't Tell Me"
    "You're So Good To Me"

Singles

"Be True To Your School"
    "Help Me, Rhonda"

And to make it exact...

Smiley Smile

"Good Vibrations"

Any feedback on where the single versions of "Be True To Your School" and "Help Me, Rhonda" can be found on vinyl? Do they exist on vinyl outside of the original 45's?

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

I think the single version of "School" can be found on this comp:

[​IMG]

Clanceman and psulioninks like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Clanceman and psulioninks like this.
  11. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Zodiac beat me to it...

The single version of "Be True To Your School" can be found on the 1982 Capitol compilation Be True to Your School (N-16273), which accumulated songs left off the shortened 1980's album reissues, plus that one 45-only track. It's not too hard to find; there are 13 copies for sale on Discogs right now, starting at $8.99.

The single version of "Help Me, Rhonda" is the same mix found on the mono Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) LP.

Lee

GetHappy!! and psulioninks like this.
  12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

There is currently a sealed copy of Be True to Your School on eBay, for $10. However, I would avoid that. For as much as I love the green label re-issues and their mastering and sound quality, I've had a bad experience with a few sealed copies of those. Those were pressed during the so-called "oil crisis" era of cheaper vinyl and for that reason, along with perhaps poor storing methods, those are known to be warped inside the sleeve, if they're still sealed. If they're open already (to provide air flow in there, etc.), then there should be no problems. For example, I own two green label copies of Pet Sounds - one is the Columbia House record club version that I've owned since the early 80's. The other, the standard N-16156 cat number - I got it sealed a few years ago, and it is badly warped. Plays fine, but it sure gives the tonearm a workout.

Just my two cents.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. psulioninks

Thanks!

14. psulioninks

Awesome, I did not realize that...I thought it was unique and only available as a non-album single.

15. psulioninks

Does anyone know if the 2LP compilation, Made In U.S.A. contains the album or single versions of "Be True To Your School" and/or "Help Me, Rhonda"?

16. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

I have the RCA Music Service issue of this double LP in my hands.

I would hate to answer your question wrong - this forum has way bigger BB experts than I. But maybe the timing spec's will help?

Side A, track 4, "Be True . . ." = 2:07

Side B, track 3, "Help Me, Rhonda" = 2:45

(Also the spelling of "Rhonda" might suggest that this is the single version?)

Cheers, Chaz

17. psulioninks

The Capitol Records ‎– N-16273 previously mentioned here also shows the single version of "Be True To Your School" as 2:07 in length. Hmmmm

I've purchased the AP mono version of Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), so I have "Help Me, Rhonda" now taken care of.

18. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

I completely forgot about Made in USA... It should have the single versions of “Be True To Your School” and “Help Me, Rhonda” in great sound quality.

Lee

Bill likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have the Japanese Black Triangle CD w/both songs in mono : The Beach Boys - Made In U.S.A.

20. psulioninks

I just purchased an Analogue Productions stereo copy of All Summer Long. After cleaning and ripping it, I noticed that these first two duophonic tracks are much lower in volume than the other stereo tracks. No surprise that these two tracks don't sound very good either. Anyone else notice the volume difference on these two?

21. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Capitol's "amazing" Duophonic" technology was so bad. When I was just a "lad" I bought Pet Sounds in "Duophonic Sound"...the only way to get it in "stereo" for almost four decades. Oh my god, it was bad. Traded it in at a local used vinyl shop the next day! Thank god for our host's remastering of the MONO "Pet Sounds" -the DCC vinyl limited edition...an absolute MUST-HAVE.

I sure wish DCC hadn't gone under! One of the highest quality labels ever.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joti Cover and Goldy like this.
  22. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Picked up the 2017 stereo Wild Honey after telling myself for almost a year that the cd sounded good enough. If you can believe it: the bass is even bigger and more weighty on vinyl. For the first time ever as the the title track was playing, I went over to the the receiver convinced one of the kids had turned the bass volume to ten. After that song the bass is more even. I am happy with the purchase.

23. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

just ordered this. Where is "We Got Love" on this pressing?

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The Be True To Your School Capitol comp lp was released in 1983. I have one and at one time had most of the green label reissues (except 'Dance Dance Dance' and 'California Girls' -- wasn't interested in any of the duophonics). I still have the green label mono Be True To Your School, Pet Sounds, Wild Honey and the stereo Friends, 20/20 and Beach Boys '69. The Capitol green label Pet Sounds has been bested by the DCC and the AP, but it still ranks among the best and is certainly a world better than an original Capitol, one of which I used to one (never mind the horrible folded-from-duophonic mono original UK press). I believe I still like the green label Capitol better than the 1972 WB reissue with So Tough, but I haven't listened to either for a long time so I'd have to go back and compare again to be sure.

If I were starting a Beach Boys vinyl collection now, I'd go for anything AP if I could afford it. I'd go for the green label Capitol reissues if I couldn't, providing I could get them for reasonable prices, including Be True To Your School (but I'd still avoid Dance Dance Dance and California Girls.)

monomusic likes this.
  25. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident