Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

You know I've been thinking about it and, knowing what Jan And Dean had been planning on their aborted original attempt at Filet Of Soul (a studio/live hybrid acknowledging both) is it possible that they would have acknowledged Bruce's absence and, having the "audience" faded out had soneone say something like: "and now even though he couldn't make it to the show, here now is our very own Bruce Johnson and his rendition of 'With A Little Help From My Friends'"? Because that's probably the only way they could have gotten away with it. And since not only were The Beach Boys friends with the group, but I have a hunch that Brian would have been game to do something similar. I guess that's something that will remain unanswered.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I am sure that the track would have been presented as live (overdubbed audience noises) , so unless asked, as I said, adding it to the album no one would have been the wiser. As I noted regarding the Concert album, Brian or one of guys could have recorded an in-studio introduction if they wanted to introduce Bruce. Brian was all about perfection, so only appearing as live was all that counted.

Mr. Explorer and MaestroDavros like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I read somewhere that 'Dave' is our long time friend David Marks.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I did consider this - it seems implausible but not impossible.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Dave of course was good friends with Dennis, and hung around post his leaving. I can't remember the
    source that I heard this, it may have even been in a podcast with Alan Boyd, but I can't remember...

Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

As an aside, I think it's neat that David Marks still had a connection with the band and was invited to join the 50th anniversary reunion shows and album. He maintained or even improved his instrumental chops over time and made a real contribution there.

7. MaestroDavros

I found David Marks' contributions to TWGMTR & No Pier Pressure to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of those two projects. Highlights include "Spring Vacation" on the former and "Guess You Had To Be There" on the latter. Great stuff! I hope he appears on Brian's R&R album (whenever they actually get around to that; I live in hope!)

8. Rick Bartlett

David Marks' book 'the lost beach boy' is a great read! every BB fan should pick it up.

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know exactly what you’re referring to. It’s how Brian wanted it. For all we know, he might’ve been messing with the listener and throwing off the listener. Or perhaps he didn’t notice or maybe he didn’t care enough to fix it, and felt it was good “as-is”. Remember, this is the same guy who left in that jarring “good” on With Me Tonight.

pablo fanques likes this.
  10. pool_of_tears

It should’ve been a physical release, or at least make it a lossless download.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. MaestroDavros

It is available as a lossless download though. Both it and Live Sunshine are on 7Digital in 16/44.1.

Also I've heard that the "good" was spliced in from elsewhere, on purpose (likely one of Brian's attempts at comedy). That might explain why it's there in the 2012 stereo mix despite them using a noticeably different take for the first part.

12. pool_of_tears

Oh wow, I had no idea it’s in lossless. I know what I’m doing very soon.

MaestroDavros and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Not left it in...added it afterwards according to Andrew G Doe.

Yorick, Hep Alien and MaestroDavros like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

Interesting!

15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

'According to one who would know' :winkgrin:

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

It's available as a 44/16 lossless download from qobuz.com as well - sounds great:

1967 - Sunshine Tomorrow 2 - The Studio Sessions | The Beach Boys

1967 - Live Sunshine | The Beach Boys

17. MaestroDavros

18. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

What's their US store link?

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  19. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I don't think they have opened a US store -- you have to get creative to order from them if you're based in the US.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. MaestroDavros

I thought they already had, hence why I assumed that @mikeja75 made the comment. I apparently was wrong (they have not launched yet, although they plan to later this year). :doh:

While I love being apart of this community, and I feel like I've learned a lot and contributed much in the nearly year I've been here, I have a major problem of misinterpreting things and jumping the gun without taking the 5 or so minutes to verify things, something that I really need to work on. I apologize. :hide:

21. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Any word of a 1968 type release this year? Hopefully covering the Friends sessions

22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Not yet, but it will 100% happen - Mark referenced it last year.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I played Live Sunshine and Sunshine Tomorrow 2 yesterday for the first time since the release week. So much stuff! Very overwhelming and amazing that we have access to such a plethora of archival Beach Boys recordings. Also amazed that I spent a small fortune on mp3 downloads! It was a hard pill to swallow but I can't argue with the content.

24. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

One of these days I'm going to have to buy these downloads even though I hate the idea of it. I really wish The Beach Boys would use something like RSD to make these available in a physical format.

Hep Alien and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  25. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

still haven't pulled the trigger on the MP3-download-only-at-a-hi-end-hi-res-price. Too much integrity and too little cash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.