Beastie Boys x4 vinyl reissues incl. Paul's Boutique x2LP 4th Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Mastered by Capitol in all caps

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Thanks. My reason for asking, received my UK/Euro copy this morning. No sign of this in the deadwax at all, so there are different cuts per-region. :realmad: The only thing my edition has that hints at a cutting engineer are the initials "KR". I started having concerns with how much dead wax run-off area hasn't been utilized per-side here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really should of known Captial would screw me here, exactly the same as Beach Boys "Smile" and Interpols "Our love to admire" - different, crappy editions for UK/Europe (there are truly terrible sounding too). I've now learnt my lesson

I'll play this later on if I can, but I'm already incensed to just get this on US import now.

I'm proper annoyed right now.

3. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

KR will be an in-house Optimal cut, I would've thought. They usually do a solid enough job.

I'd be happy with that much deadwax on this to be honest, it's not much more than 10 minutes per side so cutting down on the inner grooves seems wise if it wasn't going to be 45RPM (which it probably should've been, in fairness.) Hip-hop in particular can be absolutely murdered by sibilance.

englishbob likes this.
  4. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Confirming here that the 2019 2LP Paul’s Boutique says P. USA in the deadwax. Also stamped very lightly are the initials IS, so Ian Sefchick did this as well.

So it looks like Ray Janos for the 2009 and 2017 versions (probably the same mastering) and Ian Sefchick for the 2019.

One thing about the double vinyl, that side break from side 3 to 4 is a little jarring. (Between Shadrach and Ask for Janice) almost seems like it cuts too early in the drum break at the end of Shadrach. Just wasn’t used to it I guess. They probably could have kept Ask for Janice on Side 3 and started side 4 with B-Boy Bouillabaisse, but YMMV.

bjlefebvre, Mumdad and englishbob like this.
  5. englishbob

Just spun this (now) UK/Europe version of the 2LP set of PB

Comparing this to my original UK pressing., its about the same. There is a slight narrowing of the stereo image in places, and there is more middle and rolloff of treble. But that is about it. I don't really detect that much benefit of going x2LP on this. The nicest thing you could say here is that is very close to an original.

I would be interested on reviews of those that have the US pressing of this now. Does going to x2LP make a difference to you (if comparing with an original press)?

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I've always been tempted to get that Jane's box, but when the Rocktober edition of Nothing's Shocking was released, that satisfied my craving quite well - I thought that sounded fantastic. Admittedly - last night's listening was done with headphones, so I'm hoping to crank it up later this weekend sometime.

7. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Looks like I S is inscribed. (Ian Sefchick?) Mastered By Capitol P-USA
    My copy is from Amazon US
    Black vinyl

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    c-eling likes this.
  8. englishbob

I bought my original copy of PB on release day in 1989. It was not until I received this edition today (and then checked Discogs) that I realised the cover art on my original was the same shot on BOTH sides of the gatefold. :laugh: What a disaster!

9. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

PUSA will be the superior Pallas USA pressing.

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

11. englishbob

Yeah this was always going to get confusing. Before this recent 2LP reissue, there where already 2 other editions readily available to buy.

This one has a date of 14 Dec. 2018 if you scroll down on the listing

Porkpie likes this.
  12. englishbob

Personally @Porkpie given the Capital go there own way with getting stuff released in the UK and Europe (i.e. the "cut"), I'd be tempted to import a copy from the US. These versions would have more than likely made it as test pressings to the members of the band for sign off. I can't believe for one minute they care about "over the pond" versions

Porkpie likes this.
  13. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I have the one from a few years ago with the massive fold out sleeve - which sounds brilliant - I forget if it is 2 or 4 sided...

14. It's Felix

I have seen a version with a single sleeve - and then the version I have with the 4 sided fold out which is excellent - the single sleeve looked super cheap quality

Porkpie likes this.
  15. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

This one?
    Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

16. It's Felix

17. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

2019 2LP purple sounds absolutely perfect. Flawless pressing.

Jam757 and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Same with the Root Down EP reissue.

19. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Agree impressed with my copy

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  20. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I don’t know if it’s the case for all “Pallas USA” pressings now, but the purple vinyl version of Paul’s Boutique was pressed at Furnace Manufacturing’s fairly new plant in Alexandria, Virginia, according to a post on their Instagram account a few months ago...

Furnace Record Pressing on Instagram: “We’re all back from Making Vinyl and jumping right back into the swing of things! Some nice bright purple on this overcast day. - - -…”

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Derek Slazenger likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I have the 2017 and it's a good-sounding record for being as long as it is. It doesn't seem to skimp on low end when compared to the CD.

22. attym

attym Forum Resident

Bumping for comparison to an original pressing.

23. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Hi guys, has anyone compared the 2xLP 2019 edition to the Grand Royal 2xLP from 1998? Any opinions? Thanks!

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Late to the party, but I picked up the black vinyl RTI-cut, Pallas-pressed Ill Communication last week. It sounds fantastic!

Derek Slazenger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.