Beat Beat Beat - PYE UK Singles Collections

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mudbone, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist Thread Starter

There are a series of Sanctuary cds distributed by BMG titled "Beat Beat Beat". They are 2 cd comps which contain all the Pye UK singles in chronological order. They're made in the US. So far there are three released that I know of:

Vol 1 Beat Beat Beat - The Mersey Sound
    Vol 2 Beat Beat Beat - More Moptop Rarities
    Vol 3 Beat Beat Beat - Mop Top Pop

The reason I’m asking is these things are a bitch to search for, let's say, at CD Universe. Any "hit" I get contains every cd with the word "BEAT" so I get hundreds of “hits” and some are listed as the sub-title (The Mersey Sound, for example) without the "Beat Beat Beat" part of the title. Truly a search engine nightmare. Sancuarty's webpage is useless. The series began in 2002 and has continued. I want to keep on top of these but if I miss one I'm sure I'll just have one hell of a time finding it since I've never seen these in any stores in my area. I can only find them on the web.

Any thoughts on how to find releases easily? Anyone have any contacts at BMG/Sanctuary?

Thanks,
    mud-

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I think there are only 3 vols. At amazon.com, you can do a "music search" putting "Beat, Beat, Beat" in the title and "Sanctuary" in the record label field and get it down to about 9 results.

3. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

4. mudbone

sharedon, you da man! THANKS! For some reason these are listed as imports but are manufactured in the US. I need that Volume 4 and I'm very greatful that you found that website. Here's the Sanctuary website I found which is worthless for the search you perfomed.

http://www.sanctuaryrecordsgroup.com/

THANKS! This place is great because you can get other's perspectives to find things.

mud-

PS - Here it is at CDU listed as Castle Music AMERICA. Sheesh!

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=6040668&cart=153889246

5. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

You're welcome! IIRC, Castle in the UK became Sanctuary, and now their stuff is dist. in the US as Castle. Something like that... Anyway, their website is pretty hopeless. I could see vol. 4 on it, but I didn't have the right version of Flash or whatever they use installed, so I only saw a thumbnail and nothing else!

It's hard to find advanced search screens on amazon and bn.com, but they're there and thank goodness!!

And ya know, I can see why all that Pye archival stuff can be addictive!!

6. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

You can't BEAT these...budget 2CD sets...with 60 tracks...I've been picking these up as budget imports...$16.99.....then they come out here in the states...I pick them up as I see them....when I stop and don't buy the import copy..that will be the one that they don;t release here...and the import will go out of print....

Does anyone know of any other collections like these....British Beat....dedicated to one label.....or labels distributed by that one label....

JF

7. mudbone

Joe, there was a series put out by Decca UK. It had titles like Decca R&B, Girl Groups, Psych, etc. I believe these are OOP but if you need more info I'll dig it out.

Also Castle/Sanctuary has put out singles collection by certain groups like Procol Harum, Pretty Things, Kinks and others.

Nice stuff. All A&B sides in chronological order.

mud-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.