Beatles 1966 Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Once source; I bought it on videotape many moons ago. The guy got there early and filmed them setting up too.

Rfreeman likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, the Beatles were paid $100,000 per show ($750,000 in 2016 dollars). Five shows in Tokyo means $3.75 million in 2016 dollars for three days work. That’s worth the trip to Tokyo, at least.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. xios

xios Senior Member

My wife was at the December 1965 show in Birmingham. She wrote a school paper about it (it still exists) and says they opened with "I Feel Fine". "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" was also played during the show.

Fullbug, andrewskyDE, Yosi and 4 others like this.
  4. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

When I think of the Beatles 1966 U.S Tour and set list, I think the screaming girls still loved the Yeah Yeah Yeah Beatles so playing older songs was good enough for them. In The Anthology, George made the comment that songs like Paperback Writer were difficult to perform on stage (watch the Japan video when he waves to the crowd to elicit screams to cover up the harmonies), so easier, tried and true songs like "I Feel Fine" and "Rock and Roll Music" were performed instead of trying "Got To Get You Into My Life" or "I Want To Tell You" from Revolver.

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe they changed it up from night to night.

6. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

And only 2 and half hours on stage.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

linclink likes this.
  8. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

no

9. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Do you know if it was a full-length Lizzy, or was it truncated as an opener, ala Rock n Roll Music?

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I know. They stopped in Beirut but didn't play. Somebody else pointed that out years ago.
    I will add... My mistake!

:--)

11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I guess it’s possible but from the recorded evidence they seemed to have pretty rigid set lists for each tour but there are some examples of slight changes on occasion.

linclink and Six Bachelors like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

In circulation?

13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I've always heard of this "In My Life"' musical quote, still have no idea if it's true and if we'll ever find out...

Diego Lucas and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually Abbey Road was finished around the time Woodstock had started.
    Or, if they were keen enough they could've taken a break from recording, gone to the festival and then returning to EMI for continuing afterwards.
    Maybe the band might've had a few days for rehearsing but (I think) sadly they weren't much interested in performing live in front of a large crowd (again).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    DrBeatle and Mike Visco like this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That, I don't remember. It was just a real blast to see The Beatles!

Arnold Grove, Culpa and Kim Olesen like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Didn't you have a stop-watch to time all of their songs? Jeez, couldn't you have realized that we'd need you to answer our questions 50+ years later?
    ;)

17. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

I think they could’ve pulled off “Here, There, and Everywhere” and “Doctor Robert” live....certainly much better than “Paperback Writer”.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I wonder what were originally the other stops after Candlestick Park. Where there more gigs planned for the '66 tour?
    At that point or later they could've played live in more foreign countries, like Greece or Hungary maybe.^^

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No but a 67 tour was in early planning.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wow. Any detail about the locations?

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Never heard any details about that. Planning might just have meant “suggested by Brian” and then nixed by the Beatles.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Jack Lord likes this.
  23. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

In the late 80's I was reading Rolling Stone in the music department of the library (here in Finland).
    I remember in the personal adverts (or whatever it is called) there was somebody selling some kind of copies of
    the Candlestick concert footage. I had no chance at the time to even consider buying/ordering a copy of it.
    But I've always wondered what it would have been like. And of course I haven't ever seen anything but a few small bits of it.

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ah, back to classics Beatles bootleg sound!!!
    I listened to it three times it was so cool!
    But in this digital age, who knows what is faked and what isn’t, and that’s the cevat.
    I actually did my own ‘remastering’ of the San Fran 66 show about 10 years ago using some digital equip and an analog 10 band eq .......came out ok but after all was said and done, the double edged sword of doing this to the Beatles final real concert vas very disconcerting. Historical but incredibly sad at the same time. What made bootlegs fun in the 70’s was even if they sounded Schmidy, we were still peeking in on something most people weren’t privy to.
    But now with two members deceased and the band has become a BRAND, there is a feeling that something has been lost forever, and it’s sad in a very real way.
    Beave

25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

There were a lot of those products out there, they were basically bs issues using what little newsreel footage they could get their hands on, with interviews of p eople about the concert. But the fact is there is no pro shot film or video of that concert!
    All we have is Paul’s cassette and that will have to do.......
    And although we have numerous concerts in excellent quality recorded in different countries around the world, companies like ‘Reelin In The Years’ has bought the videotapes from those countries and now own the physical artifact.
    Don’t think Apple is going to pay them for their use. So we’re never going to see them legitimately issued, which is so sad!
    Beave

Big Pasi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.