Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Gives me time to save up. The thought of the Beatles catalogue on 45 RPM has me drooling like an idiot.

2. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Not cool. You could have shared the retailer’s name with the forum like Xander2017 generously did.

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Finally went for a Rubber Soul mono vinyl (already have Revolver, White & Masters monos), since it's cheap and available. Think that'll do me.

Ray29 and MRamble like this.
  4. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

It certainly not illegal, but IMO nothing to be proud of to say the least. I would never brag about something like that if I was him.

5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

It's still a crying shame these are being pulled. The whole set should be included with every new turntable sold in the world.

dustybooks, Cassius, Big Blue and 6 others like this.
  6. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Did not anticipate a negative reaction to that. Just trying to keep my vinyl-listening hobby alive with a little side hustle. Raising a one-year-old doesn't allow me a lot of disposable income for records atm.

7. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

We all have our crosses to bear. Posting openly about selling a highly sought-after music item at a premium on a music forum won't win you many fans. You're going to do what you need to do, but you'd be better served by keeping such machinations close to the vest.

Aftermath and StateOfTheArt like this.
  8. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Yeah, good point. :hide:

Solace likes this.
  9. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Yet if you go into the Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway thread there's an entire discussion wherein multiple people are supposedly considering selling their unopened Big Barn Boxes because of the astronomical prices they're going for on eBay.

10. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I find that to be disappointing as well. Shame.

11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Yep. I got

Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    White Album
    Mono Masters
    Magical Mystery Tour

I already had originals of

Please Please Me
    Help
    Sgt Peppers (US)

and the BC13 Blue Box, which you can still get for $200 or so if you’re patient.

So I’m good. Except I do need AHDN. :)

12. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think Discogs has a search engine for particular albums and who sells them and at what price. Just type in Beatles Rubber Soul (or whatever LP) RM 2014 and there is a whole list of people willing to part with their mono Beatles reissues.

I find it hilarious that people who make money selling an item are reviled but those who get away with purchasing a coveted item dirt cheap are hailed as heroes.

via_atx, SoundDoctor, MarkO and 2 others like this.
  13. ispace

ispace Senior Member

You misunderstood my point. The heroes are the ones who generously help fellow forum members find titles for reasonable prices. Not the ones who try to profit from them.

Aftermath, bluejimbop and krisjay like this.
  14. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

It’s called the free market. If somebody wants to buy an unopened Big Barn Box set at a higher price than retail more power to them. The seller has every right
    to sell personal property through free use laws.
    Everyone “wins”. The seller has made the initial “investment” by buying said Big Barn Box and can reap the rewards by either setting it on fire or selling it on EBay lol.

15. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

A few weeks ago I gave to a friend a spare copy of the 2014 mono Pepper album. He's really enthusiastic about vinyl and always gushes about recent 2nd hand acquisitions or forthcoming and recent reissues, some of which he plays on a daily basis. When he lamented on the price of the 2014 mono Pepper, it made me think about whether or not I needed 3 copies of that. Since one is still sealed, one is from the mono box, and the other I got at the same time as the other sealed copy but opened and played only a few times, I decided to give him the one I played only a few times. An unplayed vinyl record is a terrible thing to let sit around and gather dust.

16. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

It's nice to hear about nice people doing nice things for others.

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Is the mono REVOLVER LP a good sounding record? I have the mono CD box and it's not that hot. Have a chance to get one so...

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  18. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Revolver is a much better collection of songs, performances and experimentation than a high fidelity recording. I’ve never been too impressed with the sound quality of that album in any format I’ve heard (87 CD, 09 stereo & mono CDs, 2012 stereo vinyl, 2014 mono vinyl, 2014 US Albums CD). My point is that even if the 2014 mono is the best presentation of the album (which it may or may not be), it’s not an example of a “good sounding record” in my opinion. Revolver is incredible for many other reasons. That being said, I think I do prefer the 2014 vinyl to the 2009 CD.

Big Blue, SoundDoctor, pdenny and 2 others like this.
  19. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

I'd go as far as to say that some of the tracks are audiophile quality. :righton:

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you think the CD’s not so hot, I doubt you’ll think much of the vinyl either. They’re a lot more alike than different.

dlokazip, onlyconnect and ispace like this.
  22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I disagree. I think the recent mono Revolver LP sounds much better than the CD.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Hyperbole.

Freelance_Philosopher likes this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not at all. The LP really smooths out the distorted mono Revolver mix and literally sounds much better than the CD.

The Revolver CD was the biggest disappointment of the mono CD box. The LP was the biggest revelation of the mono LP box.

A6mzero, gss and kt66brooklyn like this.
  25. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

The Revolver mono lp sounds pretty good to me. Ignorance is bliss.

Big Blue and OptimisticGoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.