Beatles Abbey Road BBC2 TV special 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Mar 5, 2017.

1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I wonder if Dig will post anything else? Like anything from the "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" segment.

I can't imagine they're plans for a grainy video filmed off monitor for an obscure program they'd never in a million years get copyright clearance to release.

2. VincentR

VincentR Well-Known Member

Exactly BBC owns Copyright but when Dig Media is the only entity that has the footage they can make a deal and we must not forget Dig Media is working for the Estate of Jack Henry Moore so they have to get something too

3. VincentR

How do I post a profile pic cant see any icon to click

4. VincentR

Ironically it was John and Yoko who gave Jack Henry Moore the money to buy his video recorder to record the launch of Abbey Road on Late Night Line Up, we all thought there was no hope of ever seeing it RIP Jack Henry Moore

Chris M and Ken Wood like this.
  5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Because that's not The Beatles, just their heads from this EP photoshopped on

.[​IMG]

caravan70 and ajsmith like this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Click on your name on the bar next to "Inbox" and "Alerts" and a box opens. Click on "Avatar"

7. VincentR

Thankyou nikh33

8. paulisdead

Yes, but the question is how can the footage be used? You wouldn't release something like this as a stand alone DVD because the market for it would be tiny and the licensing fees (if you'd even get permission) would be insane. Apple would never release it because the box set ship has sailed and as we know, Apple rarely anything that's anything less than polished (even in the context of a rarity - I think the US mix of "Penny Lane" on the Pepper box would be a first). I'd suspect the BBC could use it in documentaries and other retrospective programs. I'd could also see this being screened at BFI's Missing Believed Wiped event.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

This (or even more likely since they have made contact re: the footage) a showing at a Kaleidoscope event are realistically probably the only chances it has of any public viewing in the immediate future.

paulisdead and Derek Slazenger like this.
  10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

paulisdead likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

12. Michael

camera angle...

13. paulisdead

And kneeling or sitting down. :D

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

that works...

paulisdead likes this.
  15. VincentR

They just have to add new quality audio to the newly discovered film clips

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

gotcha!

17. VincentR

Just found some interesting history on another blog site. Regarding the current 53 seconds of footage found by Dig Media, in 1983 14 years after the launch Phillip Jenkinson the original film maker who worked with Rowan Ayers at Late Night Line Up discovered he had this footage which he helped compile the 53 seconds. Apple on finding out Phillip had a copy previously they were friends and got along they now insisted he hand over the 53 seconds immediately with Phillip Jenkinson remarking '' I wish I had destroyed that copy ''

ajsmith likes this.
  18. VincentR

If the show was released publically in 1969 and a copy has been found I cannot see The Beatles stopping the publication say on youtube or any social media. If they try to make money on it that's a different situation. The Beatles own the rights to their images and film, caricatures, music, whatever they submitted and the BBC owns their input. I hope Dig Media cleans it up real good then dubs in great audio, I hope we don't have to wait years for this we are all getting older lol

19. VincentR

Have posted this message to Dig Media as part of me is not convinced they have the whole show because that 53 seconds came from 1967 A Day In The Life '' Hi Dig Media could you please put up 30 seconds of the Maxwells Silver Hammer clip to verify you indeed have the whole Abbey Road launch thankyou Vincent ''

paulisdead likes this.
  20. paulisdead

It looks legit, but I agree, we want to see the "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" video.

ajsmith likes this.
  21. paulisdead

Sorry, I just reread what you posted. Are you saying that this 53 seconds of footage was compiled post broadcast in the early 80’s?

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. VincentR

Was just saying its the clip from Day in a Life, don't think these guys will ever release the whole show 10 songs because they probably don't have it. Anyone could have gotten Day in a life and overdubbed Come Together and stitched some babe under overdub of Something, unless I see the Maxwells Silver Hammer clip it could very well be just click bait BS for Dig media

ajsmith and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  23. paulisdead

They should just post Maxwell's anyway. You could be right, but they've gone to a lot of work to fake a very obscure Beatles artifact.

24. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Here’s a frame from the Maxwell video, from Dig Media’s Twitter.

[​IMG]

25. paulisdead

Wow! So it looks like they do have most of the special. Can't wait for the upload.

ajsmith likes this.