Beatles Abbey Road BBC2 TV special 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Sadly, unless, they source the original film clips from various film libraries and rebuild the programme from scratch, I really can't see this getting a Beatles' sanctioned release. The quality is probably comparable or worse than the Star Club tapes and that did not get a smooth reception from the band. While it is a fascinating item I am not really sure what can be achieved in the real world. Given that the unique band footage is sparse and available elsewhere in pristine condition I am not sure that it represents a viable project. I am guessing this is why we are not hearing any word of progress.

paulisdead and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  2. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

It’d be nice to attempt to reconstruct this through the existing primary source-material that is available, only splicing in and incorporating the unique programme footage restored by Dig Media when needed!

3. The Ole' Rocker

Dare I also suggest that the animated-segments be digitally reconstructed through being recreated on a specialized animation software, like from Adobe?

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

all excellent points!

longdist01 and paulisdead like this.
  5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Depending on whether or not DigMedia can retrieve the rest of the footage or not. At the moment, we don’t know how all the stock footage fit together and we don’t have all the video filmed for the special.

Once we have even a low quality version of the complete special, I’m very sure the fans will be putting together a fan recreation.

BTW - I’m also hoping someone thought to save DigMedia’s video with the original audio track from Twitter before Apple took it down (sadly, I didn’t).

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  6. VincentR

VincentR Well-Known Member

7. paulisdead

For those you haven't seen the footage with audio. Notice the mono mix of Come Together. It's the same found on the TMOQ bootleg DVD The 1967 Sgt. Pepper Commemorative Issue.

8. The Ole' Rocker

That’s not a dedicated mix, is it?

9. The Beave

Great post!
    Beave

AngusStanley and paulisdead like this.
  10. VincentR

VincentR Well-Known Member

As a song writer artist personally I would cringe if some one found one of my very early Purple Cream originals recorded like crap and posted them some where so I suppose the Beatles are no different

11. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

A mention of the TV Special in the Beatles Monthly Book letters page in issue 76, just thought i'd add this. :)

[​IMG]

12. paulisdead

The best review of the Special, yet!! Perhaps it was just the oldies that didn't like it?

Fawltykog likes this.
  13. Terry Nash

Terry Nash Forum Resident

The new Beatles movie documentary is only available through the Disney Channel, I think they would have made more money just selling it on youtube for people to rent or buy. It will be released I think in November now, has anyone watched the full movie anywhere Thanks ? I really like how the producer made it look really clear and new like it was filmed just yesterday

14. paulisdead

Are you talking about Peter Jackson’s Get Back?

Different to the Abbey Road Special - anyway to answer your question - no, no one has seen it yet. And they made it look so good because it was originally shot on 16mm film (which looked pretty good, anyway), scanned that at 4K and spent nearly 3 years restoring it.

The Abbey Road Special was shot mixed media (videotape and 16mm - we assume) and won’t look anywhere near as good. Something like this could only hope for a free YouTube upload or a screening at the Missing, Believed Wiped.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. paulisdead

The YouTube channel All Things Lost featured the Late Night Line-Up Abbey Road special.

caravan70, Isamet and dormouse like this.
  16. paulisdead

Isamet likes this.
  17. paulisdead

It's been reported as such, but I believe it's just the left channel of the regular stereo mix.

18. The Beave

Wow wow wow!!!!!
    Incredible how rare this thing is………….
    Back in that day, unless a very rich person who could afford a reel to reel video recorder and recorded this we might never see the whole thing again.
    Someone in the Beatles machine had to put this together. So the clip I just saw is a video tape, not film, so someone had just what I said, a reel to reel video recorder, like the one that guy used to tape Hendrix at Woodstock.
    Hmmmmm, very interesting Coronel hogan.
    Beave

19. The Beave

Well from my experience with videotape, this excerpt was from a very rough condition video tape, not a kinescope or film. Massive amount of dropouts needing a very powerful tbc to stabilize it. Which again, leads me to believe it was a Sony 5” reel to reel deck such as this:

Sony TC-560 Solid State Reel Tape Recorder Player ESP Auto Reverse Tested! | eBay

Same type of deck used to record Jimi at Woodstock by the college guy.
    I actually knew a guy who had one and played a tape on it for me, VERY unstable sync wise.
    And, also the same kind of recorder used on the boot version of Band Of Gypsy’s. EH paid some damned good money to stabilize that video for the dvd release.

Now, where is the other 32 minutes? We might never know.
    How many people in Britain had a recorder like this? Maybe 10. If that.
    How many cared to try and tape this show? Maybe 1. And trying to watch it back years later saw an almost unwatchable picture?
    So this might go down as one of those things that just don’t exist anymore.
    If this was a bbc production then Apple doesn’t have the master, they just supplied the elements.
    The bbc wiped it after broadcast most likely. So, like, COL, good luck in ever seeing the whole thing.

But we know it did get broadcast………..

I love being a collector!
    Beave

paulisdead likes this.
  20. The Beave

You and thousands of people. Hdmi out to rca audio video out to digital recorder.
    Done!
    Beave

21. paulisdead

The story that's out there (from the trailer of DigMedia's documentary Video Head: Jack Henry Moore) Moore was given two sets of video equipment (video camera, recorder and monitor) by Lennon and another Beatle received from Capitol in 1966.

Given they were given a monitor for playback, you can assume that it may have even been an NTSC recorder.

Ken Wood likes this.
  22. paulisdead

Did you mean one of these?

[​IMG]

Sony CV Series Video (smecc.org)

mradmack likes this.
  23. Terry Nash

Terry Nash Forum Resident

This is cool

24. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

There were way more than 10 people with the ability to archive media in 1969. There’s a bunch of old 63-69 Doctor Who that was archived by fans which came in very handy when the BBC junked dozens or episodes in the early 70s. Same situation with a bunch of other shows, Dad’s Army etc. Considering The Beatles were way more popular than Doctor Who you’d think someone would have archived it at the time, either audio or video.

I tend to think it was just crap and people did indeed archive it but didn’t bother saving it.

25. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Just the other day I posted this regarding the camera Ringo uses in Get Back:
    "Anyway, what is that camera Ringo uses (and of which film was used by PJ)? If that was a video one it was VERY early.

BTW in the german wiki for home-recording video systems it is mentioned that John and Paul were amongst the first prominent people who had a home video recorder. Seems to have been a Loewe Opta Optacord 500, ca. 1965. They thought they were having a prototype but it was actually on the market by 1961. I think it also could have been a UK-based Telcan (1963) as on the english wiki this is called one of the earliest."

Great to learn that they received video gear in 1966 from Capitol - interesting that they gave it away - were they upgrading?

paulisdead likes this.