Beatles Abbey Road BBC2 TV special 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Mar 5, 2017.

1. AuldJohn

AuldJohn New Member

Thanks very much for the further info. For years and years I could remember seeing an advert for Abbey Road.....School Girls (all in uniform)standing at a bus stop.....then screaming when they were looking at a car go bye. Can recall the NASSA footage for Because, the cartoon for Maxwell but I forgot about the undersea stuff for OG. ....thanks for solving the advert.

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Bump. This is an awesome thread and subject I knew nothing about. No reason for it to languish on page 50! :)

caravan70, BDC and blutiga like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bonzos /Small Faces

4. HerbertUK

HerbertUK Well-Known Member

I saw this when first broadcast. Don't remember it being advertised; just happened to be watching TV at my parents' house when it came on. Distinctly remember an astronaut, and definitely the naive animation for Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I was beginning to think my memory was "shot" until I saw this forum.

supermd, BDC, Diego Lucas and 3 others like this.
  5. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Got a like for mentioning the Bonzos... I think I'm not alone in feeling people need reminding of it! Just in case anyone is thinking that the Small Faces one doesn't exist in full or isn't available, is certainly IS and I only discovered this to be the case about a year ago after buying this..

All Or Nothing 1965-1968 [DVD] [2015] [NTSC]: Amazon.co.uk: Small Faces: DVD & Blu-ray

... with a great documentary, a lot of the existing live performances, promos etc and the full episode of Colour me Pop as a bonus feature. I have all the individual discs in the series and recommend them to anyone who loves sixties music. I got some just out of 'interest' and thought they were so good, went looking for records by them when I previously thought they (some of the artists) hadn't done much of note at all.

Apologies - back to AR. :)

6. alexpop

Kinks as well( I believe
    Also ..The Moody Blues live concert (1969/71) for the BBC.

7. OneStepBeyond

So many I could name if I sat down and thought of it... quite depressing! And a lot of stuff that was made in glossy colour but now only exist as b/w relatively low quality vt to film telerecordings (kinescopes.) First thing that comes to mind is the Hollies 1969 Golders Green concert. Not to mention all the 60s Top Of The Pops shows, that included for one, The Beatles.

kt66brooklyn, Man at C&A and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Seen to recall "1969" Hollies Sing Dylan " TV special.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. OneStepBeyond

If that's the BBC show (because there's another approx 30 minute video on You Tube where they also do a lot of songs from said album but it's all mined) then as it was from a time where UK colour broadcasting was in its infancy, I didn't realise until recently that it was made in colour... to be fair it's one of the better telerecordings I've seen and I just thought it might have been made on film, originally. At least the BBC and others did do these 'transfers' to send them to countries that at the time had incompatible broadcasting systems and/or were still showing everything in b/w. Otherwise we'd not even have probably half of what exists (not just music but comedies, dramas and so on) at all. Similar story for many other countries, of course.

10. Crunchie

Crunchie Forum Resident

Could this extract be from this Late Night Line Up Abbey Road show?

11. alexpop

No Carnivale Of Light, that's for sure.

12. It can't be so! Even the Something video makes more sense... Looks like a Youtube joke...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

You could be onto something here. Maybe the deep sea diver in this clip is the 'astronaut' Herbert mentions upthread?

kt66brooklyn and ajsmith like this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually this looks like it might have potential to be the real deal to me... the girl featured is unmistakably 60s, so we're looking at footage that was filmed in the right era.. note also that the version of OG is a 1.41 edit: edited down for timing reasons to fit in the half hour time slot? (also the reason why 3 songs got the chop completely?)

As to how this would have ended up on Australia's Rage music channel.. seems fairly likely to me.. who knows what music tv footage ends up getting chopped up and repurposed elsewhere. Aus imported a lot of BBC programmes. so it's more than possible they screened this 1969 AR special, kept their own copy, and extracts ended up getting recycled in this manner. Aus tv didn't go into colour till 1975 which would explain why this copy is in B/W (although it seems like the original programme, while made in colour, used a lot of stock b/w silent film anyway). I'm going to post this on the Missing Episodes forum and see what they think..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  15. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

1 minute and 41 seconds - that's the lengh of the song if it had been recorded for the "Please Please Me" album. lol
    No but apart from the missing solo it's actually a nice edit.

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yep. If Rage played this it's from the ABC archives.

17. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I would bet money that this is part of the program. How it was found, I don’t know. There is hope for more.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  18. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It's not an official video from Apple, in the context of this thread, it would be something a television station threw together.

ParloFax, ajsmith and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  19. The Ole' Rocker

Well, the fact that this fragment of facsimiled footage was broadcasted after the initial airings suggests that someone out there has some sort of information on where this missing footage, if not the masters, then at least the copies, are kept, and by who and where.

20. The Ole' Rocker

There is hope! We might be able to find this film. Who knows?

21. ajsmith

Here's another eyewitness report of the BBC2 broadcast, from a 2009 blog. Somewhat colourfully written, and tbh I doubt it's total accuracy, esp as it mentions the 3 songs Lewisohn says weren't shown, (as well as 'Her Majesty' which I also doubt would have been used in the programme) but thought it worth adding to this thread.

Abbey Road

'BBC2 in Colour

No Jack Bruce! Unbelievable it was released weeks ago and I cant get find a record shop with it anywhere. You’d think that having finally left boarding school you wouldn’t have the frustrations of being unable to do things anymore, but…

Songs for a Tailor, perhaps they’ve delivered it to Burtons and Smiths can’t get hold of their copies? Not available in York, not available in Harrogate! And Jennie has gone to teacher training college in London so I really need some musical balm. Stuck in Yorkshire and all I’m free to do is practising my driving. And my drumming. Thanks heavens for Ginger Baker and his drum solos. At least I’ve got a role model, a drum roll model at that! It’ll be too late to play the drums when we get in, I’ll have to play records. Let’s see, Quicksilver Messenger Service? Maybe, for the long grooves. Third Ear Band? Too introspective, I’ll only get depressed. Family? Too familiar, I’ll fall asleep. Led Zeppelin? Yeah! That’s a “shake out the jams” kind of album when you’ve got them old Kozmic Dazed and Confused Blues. Thanks for lending me the album Bunch! Blasting back to happiness it is then.

Oh hang on what did BBC2 say on Late Night Line Up on Wednesday about the Beatles? Yeah a preview of their new album. That’ll be on around 11 then. I wonder if Mum and Dad will stay up that late? Probably will as it’s the Beatles. I should get us home around eight, some food, some Blues and then some quality Family time. Just get this car home from Stainforth and let Mum rustle up some dinner.

Here come old flattop, he come grooving up slowly

He got joo-joo eyeball, he one holy roller

Late Night Line Up, that’s a cool way to launch a new record. But where are the Beatles? No Beatles, just cartoons. Not as good as Hey Jude live last year then. Here we go and, wow that’s cool. Late night rock n’ roll, no that’s rock, sounds pretty heavy. What’s he saying?

He got hair down to his knee

Got to be a joker he just do what he please

Yeah, got to be a joker Lennon, just do what he please. Sounds like a good rocker though. Starting off with a strong track like they always do. Oh yeah, late night classic. Could end as a good day in my diary this.

He wear no shoeshine, he got toe-jam football

He got monkey finger, he shoot coca-cola

So Dad wants to go the cricket at Bradford tomorrow? Only if the weather holds up, still good enough as a distraction, I suppose.

What’s this John?

Second track on the new Beatles album Dad.

Sounds good, what’s it called?

I wasn’t paying attention, Something or other…

Well that’s a proper song for a change.

Yeah he’s right, and a good guitar solo.

He say “I know you, you know me”

One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Oh, that’s better! A cartoon with characters that I can make out. I think this film was made in colour as it is on BBC 2. Bang, Bang, he hit him down, funny stuff. A cartoon always cheers you up after a long hard day.

Come together right now over me

So The Beatles are back together and working hard, maybe Apple will be a success after all even though they’ve shut the shop down. Bunch and I should have stolen something. Glad we went there before it was too late.

He bag production, he got walrus gumboot

He got Ono sideboard, he one spinal cracker

This is very fifties, Oh Darling? Just a fifties pastiche this, starting to go off this, come on boys hook me in. OK big Little Richard vocals from Paul, good stuff.

He got feet down below his knee

Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease

Got to be Ringo, just got to be Ringo. Nice one Ringo, Octopus Garden, under the sea like Yellow Submarine Part 2, cute and a nice cartoon. This is fun.

Mum, would you mind making me a cup of coffee please?

Not yet, I am enjoying this too, John. Are you sure you want coffee as a nightcap?

Come on Mum, I always have coffee! It’s a nightcap, it helps me sleep

[Right! Come, oh, come, come, come.]

Oh, this sounds noisy, not my cuppa tea John. I’ll make it now, three sugars?

And two coffees please Mum. It’s good having the Beatles on Late Night Line Up like this isn’t it?

If you say so John, too much for me to take in this late in the evening.

He roller-coaster, he got early warning

He got muddy water, he one mojo filter

Oh, now this sounds heavy, Led Zeppelin? 1969! Very bluesey. Wow this could be Canned Heat or a West Coast blues band. Headbanger! What a riff, the Beatles riffing! Roll over Eric Clapton and tell Jimi Hendrix the news. Wow, this is a groove. How long is this going on for? Dad’s not going to like this. Go to bed Dad, please. And bigger and noisier and bigger and STOP!

He say “One and one and one is three”

Got to be good-looking cos he’s so hard to see

Nice chorus! Nice, nice chorus after all that noise. Here comes the pretty, pretty boy George. It’s alright! Yeah George, cool; I like this. That’s a Beatle’s hook you in before you realise it trick, good Beatles start to side two. Wow that cheers you up that does, great song, really distinctive.

Oh George Martin and his harpsichord, is it Eleanor Rigby Part Two. Because the world is round??? Sounds like All You Need is the world, maybe John? Because the wind is high, yep in Yorkshire, on the moors, the wind is high; all the bloody time.

Oh, Come together

Nice piano, this is pretty; pretty sad. MONEY spent and nowhere to go, well that’s me! New job next week I hope. That Magic Feeling nowhere to go? I need somewhere to go. That magic feeling SOMEWHERE to go boys! Jennie’s gone to London and the highlight of my week is watching BBC2 Colour TV in black and white. This is good, is it the best track so far? Or that George one? Good track.

Yeah come together

Hippy Bells! Cool. Here’s comes the Shadows cover; the Apache Albatross, very mellow. Is this a reprise of the Sun track? And in Spanish. Very lush, you lushes.

Yeah come together

Ah, a bit of rock runs through it after all, it was all going a bit Sgt Pepper there. Such a mean cluedo clue…

Yeah come together

Good Evening Good Evening, now this is a rocker! And Dad has gone to bed at last, and I think Mum might have gone off it too, I reckon. What is he saying? Chastity belt? Yeah me and Candy! It’s a chaste, chaste world living at home, but great track, is it a bit Chicago Transit Authority?

Yeah come together

Oh look out, great segue! Are they going to take a break? It’s non stop. Sundays on the phone, sounds like my love life. Good lead guitar oh two-tracks George, you must be wearing your Cream badge, oh yeah

Yeah come together

It’s getting late, nearly midnight, this is a long album, longer than Pepper anyway. Well this sounds like a cue to get up the wooden hills to Slumberland. Sounds like he has had a long drive too, like Stainforth to Harrogate tonight. I reckon I’ve got those long drives cracked, now. I need more practice in the town if I’m going to pass my test though.

Yeah come together

Big Chorus, carry that wait a long time. Yes indeed I am. Half the band are still in school, I’ve got a drum kit to practice on and no one to practice with. You are right Paul, time for a pillow I reckon, that’s the best invitation I’m gonna get…

Yeah oh, Come together

Blimey, they are rockin again, just when I was ready for bed. Mum has had enough though. Wait a Ringo drum solo! Cool! Who has he been listening too? And guitar solo’s. I’d like to see this live, all the best music is live now. This would be great live. Another headbanger and “in the end”, oh it is over and the “love you make” what? I keep trying to make love and it doesn’t happen. Too many Virgins in the world.

Yeah come together

Imagine she’s a pretty nice girl and some day I’m gonna make her mine. I should be so lucky! Not going to happen to me. I really don’t think so. Not here and not in London. Oh well wooden hills time…

Night Mum'

Night John

That was great wasn’t?

I was a bit too tired to really appreciate it and it was so long! But I think it sounded good. Are you going to buy it?

I don’t know Mum, maybe. It isn’t out til next Friday. I am looking for the Jack Bruce album at the moment and I can’t find it anywhere. Someone will buy The Beatles in York. I think I should be buying cooler stuff now I am learning the drums.

caravan70, Yorick, jahndhi and 2 others like this.
  22. ajsmith

Thanks to the kindness of Robert Reinstein who saved this image in the first place, I now have 1 image from the Maxwell Silver Hammer animation (see below).

Sadly this isn't proof or a teaser that the full animation still exists: the source of this image is from an Ebay sale of a single frame from the animation that appeared on the site a while back, apparently signed by all 4 Beatles in 1969. This image is a screengrab of the picture of the frame from the Ebay listing. Still it's a fascinating glimpse into what this sequence looked like. Thanks again to Robert Reinstein for allowing me to reproduce this here.

[​IMG]

23. The Ole' Rocker

Boy, I would love to see that special.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

What an interesting thread. This was a programme featuring The Beatles I do not recall ever coming across before. I have a friend who has access to a lot of British TV related information and asked if he had anything relating to this. He has initially turned up some background information:

"This edition [of Saurday Night Live] premiered the Beatles’ new album – Abbey Road – a week before its actual release (although Oh Darling, I Want You, and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window were NOT included in the programme). On 10 August, 1969, the show’s host* (Rowan Ayers) met with the Beatles at the Apple offices on Savile Row to discuss the project. Most of the show consisted of movie clips, dancers and animated sequences (most notably of Maxwell’s Silver Hammer). But aside from a bunch of still photographs, Come Together was sent by Apple as the only clip to feature the Beatles. While it may have been Apple’s intention to send the Tittenhurst film, footage from the A Day in the Life promo is what was actually sent - along with an audio tape of Come Together. The show aired a second time on 10 October, 1969. Since they were only allowed two screenings, the BBC wiped the show soon afterwards.
    This was the edition that was shown Friday, 19/09/1969."

* Rowan Ayers, wasn’t usually the show’s host, he was actually the producer/editor, but it looks like he hosted this particular edition. Presumably it involved little more than a brief introduction. He also created The Old Grey Whistle Test and was the father of Kevin Ayers.

Hopefully more information may come to light.

OneStepBeyond, warewolf95 and ajsmith like this.
  25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That looks super groovy

warewolf95 and ajsmith like this.