Beatles albums with no singles... but what if?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one considered Rocky Raccoon from The White Album. When it was first released, 77 WABC AM in NYC played many of the White Album tracks in rotation for a while; RR was one of the most played and sounded very natural as a hit single that could have been. Of course, USSR was the other very heavily played one.

Aar Gal likes this.
  2. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes but the us albums are canon and Capitol records got rubber soul right! ;)

DK Pete and notesfrom like this.
  3. Crimson jon

So " he blew his mind out in a car" is acceptable but not turn me on deadman? Weird times.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...then there *are* those who absolutely refuse to consider the U.S. albums as "canon".

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is very radio friendly and could easily have been George's first A-side, b/w "Birthday".

DK Pete likes this.
  6. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

7. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Ob-la-di Ob-la-da is surely the greatest selling Beatles single that never was.
    We used to sing it in primary school during singing practice lessons, along with 59th Street Bridge Song and Raindrops keep Falling on My Head! It certainly sounded really catchy and would have been a massive seller.

tages, Mai Tem Baht and Aar Gal like this.
  8. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

How about

Helter Skelter b/w Glass Onion

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

They are the Apocrypha,

10. their policy was not to release singles and also have them on the albums. explain these to me 2 hard days night ep's 8 songs from the album 2 beatles for sale ep;s 8 songs from the album. 2 from please please me the beatles hits were already out as singles.

11. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

EPs were neither singles nor albums, but a compromise - usually targeted at those who wanted more than just the singles, but couldn't afford expensive albums. They were basically "Best Of The Album Tracks" releases, or in the cases of EPs that collected previous hit singles - mini-Greatest Hits albums.

Of course sometimes EPs would contain some or even all exclusive tracks - such as Long Tall Sally.

EPs generally served a different market/fanbase. Albums were for hardcore fans and EPs were for moderate fans, while singles were for everybody - casual/moderate/hardcore fans.

Also it wasn't "Beatles policy" to not pull singles from previously released albums - it was common sense, and what nearly everyone did in the UK at the time. Why? Because the UK singles chart was based on sales ONLY - radio airplay was 100% irrelevant. Pulling a single from a weeks/months old album that many fans have already bought was a risky (and borderline stupid) move since those who already bought the album would have no use for the single, so the single would sell less and therefore chart lower.

When the Beatles pulled Something/Come Together from Abbey Road as a single a few weeks AFTER the album came out (the only time they ever did that) they got their lowest charting single since Love Me Do.

tages, nikh33 and Regandron like this.
  12. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

That’s my question to everyone voting for “Eight Days a Week.”

13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Plus they didn't come out for a months after the albums.

nikh33 likes this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Now this is a better thread! :biglaugh:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The US albums are not canon. The Beatles had no say in their production, as opposite to the UK albums that truly represent their artistry.

What Capitol did was to compile tracks from several sources and form exlusively commercialy oriented albums. Artistic input from the band was ZERO.

"Oh but they recorded "Bad Boy" exclusively for a Capitol album". By request. And that was just a throw away.

I know some of you are fond of those albums because you grew up listening to them but they weren't made by The Beatles.

If the US discography is canon, then so are the discographies from the other countries.

Let's face it. The Beatles were english, made their records in england, and England was probably the only country in the 60s to have The Beatles' albums the way The Beatles made them.

16. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I'm not really buying into the premise of this thread. If the Beatles did include singles from their albums, wouldn't their already established singles have been part of the albums in those timeframes?

For example, wouldn't With The Beatles have included She Loves You or I Want To Hold Your Hand?
    Wouldn't Beatles For Sale have included I Feel Fine and possibly Eight Days A Week been a single in the UK?
    etc.

17. Crimson jon

Canon I say!

18. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I'm going to cheat and release a double A-side for each of these albums. I listed my preference for a single A-side first, in case double A-sides don't count.

"All My Loving" / "It Won't Be Long" from With the Beatles
    "Eight Days a Week" / "I'll Follow the Sun" from Beatles for Sale ("No Reply" would also make a good double A-side with "Eight Days a Week")
    "In My Life" / "Nowhere Man" from Rubber Soul ("Drive My Car" would probably be a better alternative in terms of contrast to "In My Life," but I honestly can't stand that song; "Michelle" and "Norwegian Wood" are also deserving A-sides)
    "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" / "Sgt. Pepper's - With a Little Help" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ("A Day in the Life" is also a deserving A-side)
    "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" / "Blackbird" from The Beatles (many plausible alternatives: "Back in the U.S.S.R.," "Dear Prudence," "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da")

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I know that such a thing was unheard of for a Beatle single but I can't help but wonder if WMGGW had been released as an A-side, would Clapton's solo have been "shortened"..

20. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

I agree completely.. This topic is the wrong way round.. Many of the Beatles singles , maybe most, were recorded at the same sessions as the albums, and they (plus George Martin) deliberately selected which songs to release as singles and chose them over other album tracks...

If you are going to develop an argument to release another album track as a single then you need to select a single to drop to make room for it in the UK release schedule at least.....ie one they got 'wrong'.. For example, if you look at the sequence from She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night, I Feel Fine.....etc, etc, you can just keep going as far as you like.... How are you going to squeeze another single in there??? I think It Won't Be Long is a great song for instance, but it wouldn't beat the others as a single...

All My Loving and Twist and Shout right at the start maybe, but as others have pointed out above,, the EPs were doing the job of getting those songs out there in the UK market for non-album buyers.

Mickey2 and nikh33 like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

glad you are happy! LOL...

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

All My Loving/I Wanna Be Your Man

Eight Days A Week/Baby's In Black - I am actually stunned Eight Days A Week wasn't a single

Rubber Soul is another matter for me... it isn't actually a favourite, and I don't buy into the US version was better, mainly because I've Just Seen A Face is a great song, but not an album starter for me ... but singles, Rubber Soul was rife with good singles
    Drive My Car
    Michelle
    In My Life
    Norwegian Wood
    Nowhere Man
    If I Needed Someone

Sgt Pepper is the exact opposite to Rubber Soul for me. I love the album, but I just don't really see much in the way of a single.
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds/ Fixing A Hole

The Beatles/White Album has so many songs, it is remarkable that there weren't any singles
    Back In The USSR, seems an obvious choice, but
    Dear Prudence
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Blackbird
    Birthday
    Helter Skelter, perhaps with an edit at the end.

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Okay, I'll play.

With The Beatles - All My Loving/Hold Me Tight
    Beatles for Sale - Eight Days a Week/I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
    (yes, this is a Capitol single)
    Rubber Soul - Nowhere Man/If I Needed Someone
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Getting Better/She's Leaving Home
    (I wanted this to be "A Day in the Life" but I could imagine that being embargoed until the album's release)
    S/T ("The White Album") - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/Don't Pass Me By
    (alternate: "Hey Bulldog")

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This could have been a single , an upbeat catchy song ,perfect radio fodder. ' A Day in the Life ' Or ' While My Guitar Gently Weeps ' would not make good singles.

Hermes and Somerset Scholar like this.
  25. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Must be that time of day...killing time with another Beatles "what if"

OK, I'll bite :D

What if The Beatles released singles like they do with modern albums (3 or more single rule)*:

Rubber Soul
    Drive My Car/You Won't See Me
    In My Life/If I Needed Someone
    Nowhere Man/Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

Revolver
    Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby (nothing new)
    Got to Get You Into My Life/She Said, She Said
    And Your Bird Can Sing/Here, There and Everywhere

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Stg. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds/Fixing a Hole
    A Day In The Life/Lovely Rita
    Getting Better/Good Morning, Good Morning

The White Album
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da/While My Guitar Gently Weeps (released in other countries, but it's a logical choice)
    Back In The USSR/Yer Blues
    Dear Prudence/Not Guilty
    Blackbird/What's The New Mary Jane
    Sexy Sadie/Rocky Raccoon

Yellow Submarine
    Hey Bulldog/All Together Now (a flip of the German single)
    Only a Northern Song/It's All Too Much

Abbey Road
    Something/Come Together (as per normal)
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer/Oh! Darling
    Here Comes The Sun/Octopus's Garden

Let It Be

Let It Be/You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) (normal)
    The Long and Winding Road/For You Blue (normal)
    Across the Universe/Two of Us
    One After 909/Dig a Pony

* or at least before the streaming era, if you count the CD era as "modern".

Aar Gal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.