Beatles Anthology DVD April 8th....?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

According to The Digital Bits website...(looking for a grain of salt) Capital/Apple will release The Anthology in its new 5:1 splendor on April 8th. I know there are many who dislike surround mixes, but I'm looking forward to hearing more of the Fabs in 5:1. I hope like on the Yellow Sub DVD they include a "music only" 5:1 track.

p.s. looks like Pet Sounds has been pushed back to late May

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Oh, I hope so...

I can't see a single wrong thing about including a novel 5.1 mix on any videos of any group!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I wonder if they'll be extra footage added?

4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD April 8th....?

I sure hope so. I'd like to see the video for "Real Love" added.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Re: Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD April 8th....?

No doubt! Even the Laser Disc didn't have it. I have to watch the video I recorded off TV. Nothing like paying $250 for a (slightly) abridged version.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Says on the same site that Band's Pink Pink will be DVD-A for 1/28 and Bowie's Ziggy/SPiders From Mars will be 3/25. Nice stuff coming!

7. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Hmmm. I wonder where Digital Bits got their information from. There's been no official word on this from anybody so I for one won't be holding my breath on this. Interestingly, Amazon.com is allowing customers to be notified when the release date

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...2395817/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-3210785-7644632

Then again Amazon in the US has had the same thing (for some time now) for the Let It Be DVD, the release date for which which still hasn't been announced either.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...95855/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/103-3210785-7644632

I really do wonder sometimes what the hell is going on at Apple. Currently the only Beatles-approved 'official' DVD available is Yellow Submarine, released back in 1999. Yet here we are in 2003 and no more DVD's. The Let It Be re-release has been touted for a while now by Macca himself (along with a remastered and 'restored' pre-Spector companion CD) so what's holding it up I wonder?

I also wonder if Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia realise just how disappointed most of us fans are at the current situation regarding Beatles CD's and DVD's..:sigh:

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Re: Re: Beatles Anthology DVD April 8th....?

They'd be foolish not to take advantage of the DVD format for this release and include additional footage, including the Real Love promo video.

9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

From the www.euphoricsounds.com (UK-based SACD/DVD-A online retailer) website:

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" (DVD plus Hybrid MC SACD, June) as penned in for release.

In fact, Amazon here in the UK is showing the Ziggy Motion Picture CD as coming on 10th March this year. They're taking pre-orders for it now! No mention that it's a hybrid SACD though.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I think they are killing themselves by not releasing this stuff sooner. Just imagine how well the Anthology (video and music) would have sold in the early 80's. If "Free as a Bird" came out in 1983 or so, it would have been a #1, and probably Real Love too. George put out a nice album Brainwashed, but it got little or no airplay, and will disappear soon. Ringos stuff is here and gone (remember the Christmas CD?). How many people bought Driving Rain?

If they wait too long, the core fans will either be gone or to the point where they just don't care anymore. Although they will live on in music history, their stature will diminish with time. It's a fact of life, as more and more people take attitudes like that guy who wrote the article about the solo releases.

Me? I love the stuff, but I am just an old dude who grew up in the '60s.

:-jon

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

The laserdisc was greatly expanded over the TV broadcast miniseries.

I have no opposition to a 5.1 mix, but the original stereo mix should also be included. On DVD, this should be no problem.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

But still no Real Love video.:confused:

I've been putting my Anthology Laser Discs on DVDs. I'm afraid my LD player will die (after all, it is a Sony).

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"After all, It is a Sony"!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Whoops - double post...

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Given the enormous sales of "1", I don't think the Beatles have to worry too much about vanishing too soon...

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You're being redundant again:laugh:

17. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I bought a spare Panasonic and a spare Pioneer the last couple of years. Sony? I wouldn't touch a Sony LD player. :)

"You haven't seen it until you've seen it on Laserdisc" (tag line for marketing The Beatles Anthology on LD).

18. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I know that was slightly annoying to me that the Real Love video was not included on the Anthology LD set, after slamming down almost 200 smackers for that baby!!!

As far as your LD player is concerned, there's plenty of used ones floating around out there. I've still got my Pioneer LD player, which after 10 years of use is still going strong!! I kept mine since there were certain videos I didn't want to buy over again on DVD and there's still a lot of stuff on LD that hasn't been released on DVD. Especially music related faves of mine like that great Marvin Gaye doc hosted by Smokey Robinson that ran on Showtime, The Compleat Beatles, several Disney titles, the Star Wars Trilogy, the 1999 LD of Yellow Submarine smokes the DVD in the sound department IMO!!!

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I understand that the new DVD Anthology contains a revealing new interview with Paul in which he disputes that My Sweet Lord was a rip-off of He's So Fine. Turns out that, actually, he wrote them both, along with Imagine!
    We kid because we care.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Have it on VHS. DVD will be most welcomed! I have my doubts with the history of The Beatles releases that we'll see it anytime soon....:sigh:

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bought my player because of the Star Wars box set and the Criterion of Brazil (same as the DVD version).

Oh yeah, the front panel LCD display on my LD player burned out four months after I got it.:realmad:

22. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Oh man, that's so uncool. That should've been covered by the warranty!!

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Well said Kipper!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.