Beatles Anthology DVD Press Release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/204anthologydvd.html

At Last 'The Beatles Anthology' on DVD

LONDON, Feb. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- On March 31st, eight years after The Beatles themselves told the story of the world's greatest rock and roll band in "The Beatles Anthology," EMI will release the complete work on DVD -- but now featuring the final chapter; never-released footage of the last jam session of Paul, George and Ringo, playing non-Beatles material.

"The Beatles Anthology" DVD boxset features all of the original eight episodes that candidly reveal the story of how the four lads from Liverpool changed everything.

"The Beatles Anthology" was shown in 1995, when John, Paul, George and Ringo told The Beatles' story for the first time. At that time the Anthology project caused a worldwide sensation as it launched a TV series, three double-CD sets that each topped the album charts in the USA, plus "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" -- the first new Beatles recordings in 25 years. All 10 hours of the original Anthology series will now be released across four DVD discs, plus an additional disc with 81 minutes of Special Features. Nearly all of the material included on this 5th disc has never been seen before.

For years, rumour has been rife among fans of the existence of intimate footage of Paul, George and Ringo jamming together during breaks in the making of the Anthology. This session and other get-togethers were filmed over a 12-month period when the three Beatles met in private and at Abbey Road studios. It includes the trio warmly remembering personal moments from their early days, reflecting on how they made their music and footage of them shot in the studio as they recorded "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love."

David Munns of EMI Recorded Music said: "We are really pleased to be releasing 'The Beatles Anthology,' which tells the story of their lives and careers in the medium of DVD. This was always a great series and the Special Features Disc will be a huge addition to the collection of any music lover and Beatles fan -- it provides an intimate and fascinating chapter to the story that continues to captivate the world."

Technically, the DVDs offer a spectacular audio/visual experience, featuring re-graded picture quality and new audio mastering including 5.1-surround sound and a new stereo PCM soundtrack.

The Beatles Anthology DVD will be released on March 31st, 2003 (in the UK; April 1 in the U.S.).

2. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Firstly I'm well pleased a UK date has now been announced...phew! I'll now wait for Amazon and some of the other online retailers to announce the prices.

The bonus footage on the 5th dsc alone will be worth the price on this one. I hope they also include the Real Love promo this time.

I can't wait!

:thumbsup: :) :D :righton: :goodie: :cheers:

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Me too.

Of course, now I have to buy a new 65inch HDTV to watch it on!!!!

Oh Well.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

So, about $85 for the set I'm thinking? I'm glad the Beatles camp is seriously moving ahead with this. The project was brilliantly done, and to shelve it for many reasons would have been a big waste of time and money. Not like you can get George Harrison to do an interview as in depth as the ones used in the Anthology.

I agree with Kipper. Although the Real Love video was a piece-together, and not as produced as "Free As A Bird", why not include it?

5. reechie

Amazon has it listed at $79.98, though they're selling it at $59.99.

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The best price will probably be at Costco. Of course Best Buy should have a good price in its first week of release and include some shrink wrap add-on to the set.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, possibly another Capitol sampler shrinked on the package at Best Buy.

Bring on the fun, strap on bonuses.

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. reechie

Hope so...I've got credit at Best Buy! :D

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Finally...OFFICIAL!!!! YES!!!!

11. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Glad you do Sckott...I absolutely love the FAAB video (can't wait to see it on DVD!) and although the RL video isn't as good IMO let's hope they include it. I have a sneaky feeling it'll be on the end of the bonus disc...would make sense, after all the footage we're getting of the '94 reunion.

I recall when my girlfriend first sat and watched (with me of course!) the 8 VHS set, in several sittings. She's always liked their music but she gained such a greater appreciation of the band watching the Anthology series. Became a hardcore fan after that! I remember commenting on how nice it would have been to see more footage of the three (at that time) surviving Beatles together. I couldn't agree more!

That bonus disc is going to be the first thing I watch, I think it will make a fitting prologue (to me anyway) before watching the rest of the set...I can hardly wait to see that unseen footage of Paul, George & Ringo.

THE BEATLES: I JUST LOVE THOSE GUYS!

12. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Some more info on the Anthology DVD box set bonus disc (from eil.com):

Disc 5 features over 80 minutes of previously unreleased
    material including...

Recollections - June 1994
    Paul, George and Ringo spend a summer's day together
    singing, playing and warmly remembering the early days.

Back at Abbey Road - May 1995
    Paul, George and Ringo at Abbey Road Studios with George
    Martin, playing back the multi-tracks of some of their classic
    recordings and reveal some of the inventive techniques used
    during the original sessions.

Recording "Free as a Bird" & "Real Love"
    Paul, George and Ringo, along with Jeff Lynne discuss the story
    behind these recordings - includes intimate footage of them all at
    work in the studio.

Real Love Video
    The video not screened as part of the original Anthology series,
    now included in glorious 5.1 surround sound.

Compiling the Anthology Albums
    Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin discuss how the three
    Anthology double albums were compiled.

The Making of the "Free As A Bird" video
    An intriguing insight into how the Grammy Award winning video
    was created.

The Production Team
    The team behind the Anthology discuss how the series was made.

And for those Forum members in the UK, looks like it's going to RRP at £49.99. NICE!

:goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

13. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Just had a thought whilst looking at that list of goodies...wonder if in the making of the FAAB video section somewhere they'll list or explain all the Beatles references that are made in it.

14. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The Beatles official website is going all out to promote the new DVD set. The site is to be re-launched next week.

Let's hope they start to make some noise about the remastered catalogue and the release of the Beatles' movies on DVD.

http://www.thebeatles.com/

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks!..but Boy, that website Rots!:confused:

16. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Am I the only one that is not looking forward to watching Paul, Ringo, and George playing a bunch of songs they didnt write? If they did write them, they are early early pre-Beatles songs. Of all the stuff they could release, this is it? Where is the rest of the tv footage that should be included? There is tons of Beatles stuff we could get, and all we get is Paul, George, and Ringo playing old songs??? I am looking forward to the talk about the inventive techniques they used in the recording studio. I just wish they would release more vintage material. Do you think that Hey Bulldog studio footage will be on the extra disc? It was shown on Entertainment Tonight about 4 years ago, and I think it was only about 3 or 4 minutes.

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Probably. The old rock & roll is what they love. It's what turned them into musicians in the first place. I don't think the three of them would be likely to do justice to, say, "Let It Be" or "Here Comes the Sun" 25 years on with minimal rehearsal, but I can easily see them having a lot of fun jamming on "Blue Moon of Kentucky" or "Ain't She Sweet" with hardly any warmup at all.

"Thinking of Linking" is an early Beatles original, BTW.

18. reechie

I for one am indeed looking forward to seeing these guys play together again, old songs they didn't write, or whatever.
    :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.