Beatles archivist on "Let It Be", Shea film and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I've never seen Munich. I'll have to seek it out.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He's entitled to be smug - he used to "hang around the ivy", you know! :rolleyes:

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The "Black Suit" performance is the one that is subpar. The other one("White Suit") is better.

Evan

4. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

They're a cookie that's similar to a graham cracker.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

They actually had speakers at the foot of the stage acting as early style foldback monitors. So, there's no doubt they could hear themselves clearly, and at times, I could swear you see them visibly shrinking from the sound they hear themselves producing.:)

I wonder if that's why Ringo is such a sourface throughout. "Geez, you three are really stinking up this place."

6. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Here ya go - sadly, there doesn't seem to be a seamless version on YT,

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzT7VUmh29Q&feature=related

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0myFwr2e4&feature=related

Missing several songs unfortunately, though here's a short compilation of some very rare colour footage of the same gig (all that exists, apparently), synched to the German TV sound, by way of compensation,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6euu_6LwK58&feature=related

7. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

A proposal

How about this:

A 3 DVD or 3 Blu Ray set called The Beatles: Live!

• Washington Coliseum Concert: 1964
    • Shea Stadium: 1965
    • Nippon Budokan: 1966

Maybe even release an accompanying CD set and include the "The Beatles At the Hollywood Bowl" in an expanded form.

Then in another year or two a deluxe release of "Let It Be".

Someone wake me up....................

8. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

The bottom line on all of this is the mass market and joe and josephine public.

Most if not all of the posters here live in a different world to joe & josephine.

I played some DVDs to folk who are just average people. I think it was Budokhan and Let It Be but it might have been an outtakes disc from LIB.

They.Didn't.Care. I suspect they hated it.

That is the problem. The Beatles are a mass market consumer product. What we are looking for is simply incompatible with the purpose of the Beatles intellectual property.

It sucks. But that's the way it is.

The only hope we have is that through cloud storage and distribution there will be an attempt to exploit this IP and make it available.

Apple Corps are tasked with guardianship of the Beatles legacy. They are not interested in what we want and nor should they be.

I want to see all of this material and I want to see it now. I am not the target market for Apple Corps.

9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

joe & josephine weren't the target market for the mono box either, yet the resulting demand turned out just fine for that collector venture (minus the over-pressed second round). What is being discussed here would be no different.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think the beginning of the film is brilliant. There is something poignant about seeing close up of the Beatles logo and equipment moved on the empty stage set to Paul's rough stab at Adagio for Strings followed by George and Ringo trying to mug for the camera like it's 1964. I think it beautifully captures the sadness of the break up the group. Professional footage of the biggest band ever falling apart before our eyes is compelling viewing. I think the flow and editing of the film could have been far better but as is it contains some amazing moments.

11. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

This is interesting, because I had a similar reaction to your comment as well, though for me it wasn't as seemingly visceral as it was for JETman. I'm a musician and a big Beatles fan, but have not really been interested in seeing "LIB-The Movie" especially much, if only from the impressions I've gotten of hearing the often-sloppy & lethargic performances b**ted from the Nagra reels over the years & reading about the in-fighting that took place. Quite frankly, it just seemed it would be no fun; at least not much more so than listening to tapes of my parents' divorce, and in this case my avoidance of it as a person who doesn't like watching that kind of thing overrode my interest as a musician, and I could see others feeling the same way. I dunno, maybe I'm an exception in that regard.

However, your later comments seem to clarify things for me. I'm actually interested in checking out the movie now, as it probably isn't what I expected it to be and the comments here have given me food for thought on ways of enjoying it. Cheers to all who have added to the conversation.

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

This thread appears to have wandered far off-track...

Before it's closed, however, I'll leave you with one more tidbit from the original subject of this discussion, Ron Furmanek:

"Let It Be most definitely comes alive and is certainly more FUN FUN FUN and upbeat when watching and listening to it in crystal clear quality off of the camera negatives!

(By the way, the A,B,& C roll master-cut 16mm camera negs of the finished film went missing in the mid 70's, until I located them for Apple in 1987-- misfiled in a now defunct film lab in London!)"

- Ron

So let's hope that one day we'll all get to see it the same way that Ron did!

- Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.