Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I don't see how that means anything though. My understanding is that the rows generally happened outside of the studio during board meetings. The Beatles/Neil Aspinall/Linda reference those meetings during the sessions, and there was a recent documentary about Apple where employees mentioned The Beatles shouting at each other over the phone. Ringo has said they gathered at his house to argue, and then of course the alleged major row between John and George which wasn't captured. I think it's those memories they're referring to, and the tension during the Get Back sessions was a reflection of issues outside the studio. We know there weren't major rows in the audio because if there were we'd be talking about them ad nauseam.

I also don't think you can fully pick up on tension purely from audio.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    maywitch and mercuryvenus like this.
  2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I"ve always thought Allen Klein was unfairly represented in the popular Beatle-lit, and I'm glad Lewisohn is giving him a fresh approach.

There is a lot of information about Klein in Peter Guralnick's excellent biography of Sam Cooke (Dream Boogie). Guralnick in fact interviewed Klein extensively for the book, and Klein was evidently eager to talk to Guralnick about Sam. Not to say Klein didn't have his own kind of hustle going on, but I don't believe he was this evil figure like he's been portrayed (example: The Rutles).

I also think John, George, and Ringo's later disappointment in Klein was more so a consequence of their having unrealistic expectations of a manager (basically, to be their servant) than it was Klein's mismanagement of business things.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not in the US though.

4. somnar

somnar Senior Member

But it can be ordered from Amazon UK for use on a US Kindle.

vonwegen likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, with a decent amount of hoop jumping first...you can’t just go to Amazon.co.uk and buy it.

6. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The Rutles wouldn't be my go to for any historical significance.

905 and arthurprecarious like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That wouldn't be so unusual EXCEPT that the Beatles were all in the same room!! They were so angry that they refused to talk directly to each other, and only talked via 4 phones that were set up in the 4 corners of that one room.

You just can't make this stuff up ... :crazy:

;)

8. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

The lady who played Ringo's "Aunt Jessie" in MMT claimed that had terrible rows and said awful things to one-another, which she wouldn't repeat. Maybe she was thinking of John's outburst after the coach got stuck/lost.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  9. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

George came from a large family and at the time they got married I think he expressed a desire to have as many children as possible. It must have been devastating for them to realise that wasn't going to happen, which presumably would have been around late 66/early 67. Maybe that was a factor in encouraging their interest in Eastern religion (It was Patti who was into Maharishi first, right?)

Ringo mentioned in a interview somewhere that his gardener said to him, after Lee was born, "You're not a real man until you've had a daughter". From personal experience, I get that. I'm not suggesting that anybody who doesn't have kids, or doesn't have one sex or the other is missing out, just that it does change you, hugely. It's interesting that George mentioned in one of his final interviews that the only thing worth sticking around for was his son, he doesn't mention his wife! And John said in 76 that one of his two regrets in life was losing access to Kyoko, who he was apparently very fond of. She was the reason they ended up in NYC.

BeatlesBop and bewareofchairs like this.
  10. AdmiralHarrimanNelson

AdmiralHarrimanNelson Forum Resident

I keep saying, this is more truth than fiction...

11. bewareofchairs

I didn't know he had an outburst. What happened?

12. bewareofchairs

I believe it was a factor in the sense that Pattie and George weren't able to move on to the next stage of their lives, so they were left wondering what they were supposed to do -- searching for purpose outside of fame.

I think that interview with George gets misinterpreted. Olivia has said before he died, George told her she'd be fine, and I think that's what he meant. Being an adult and having similar beliefs she could handle it, whereas Dhani was just out of his teens and needed a dad. It would've been nice if he had a daughter. Anoushka Shankar, Ravi Shankar's daughter, has often talked about how George was an Uncle figure in her life, and Dhani was like her brother, so at least there was that.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  13. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I agree with about that interview. That’s how I read it too. Dhani was only 23, so he still needed his dad. He was only barely out of college. Obviously George wanted to grow old with Olivia, but she’s an adult and didn’t need him in the same way.

Who knows how much the infertility issues played into George and Patti’s marriage ending. The way Patti described it, George withdrew into meditation, music, and later drugs when the Beatles became oppressive for him. What that suggests is he either didn’t want to find comfort in her or felt she couldn’t or wouldn’t provide it. Who knows, but it seems to have pulled them apart. The Clapton affair (and George’s own infidelities) only made things worse.

In contrast, Olivia seemed to have been able to access him and pull him out of his depression. Tom Petty and others credit her with saving his life. I’ve been in depressed states too (although not cocaine-fueled) and my current husband was the only one who could get to me and pull me out of it, so I get that and I get how much that can bond two people together.

Anyway, just my speculation.

14. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Open an Amazon UK account with a UK address (which they don't verify) and then buy it. Took a couple of minutes.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes I know. And, for me, it led to other issues, so it wasn’t seamless.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t change the fact that it was not available in the US.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  16. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Any rumors of when volume 2 will be released??

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:-popcorn::-popcorn::-popcorn:

supermd, nasa09 and rediffusion like this.
  18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Read this book when you've a chance:

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Klein-Bailed-Beatles-Transformed-ebook/dp/B00LZ7GO02/

It's very even-handed (I found), and it does shed some light on a character who is still rather obscure (regarding details) in the Beatles' story.

What you see in the book is that Klein had an innate ability to read and size-up a situation perfectly time and time again -- He played his first meeting with Lennon perfectly.

What is so surprising, though, is his handling of McCartney and the Eastmans -- something went off the rails there as he didn't play the long game. Klein wanted to manage the Beatles because they were a money-making machine -- It would have behooved Klein to keep that machine as well-oiled as possible. It's very strange and antithetical that he took the route of pitting the three Beatles against McCartney and isolating him -- Why not just find an angle to play into McCartney's vanity and keep the money train on the track? Such a weird and bad business move on Klein's part.

In that book, it appears Klein's greatest accomplishment with the Beatles was the much-better contract he negotiated with EMI on the Beatles' behalf in '69 and the foresight to know the value of back catalogue and compilations.

The "Hey Jude" LP was Klein's idea and it provided quite a wake-up call to EMI and the Beatles themselves -- They both didn't realize just how much "old stock" could be repackaged and resold. EMI and the Beatles were downright amazed at just how much money the "Hey Jude" LP brought in. In addition, this was the first LP under the new contract that Klein negotiated, and even McCartney is on record stating that he was impressed with the results.

The book is also good on revealing just how Klein was great at analyzing a contract in fine detail -- both to benefit the artist and then later to run a scam.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Yes.

20. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Astute observation!!

Personally I think he either read Paul wrong or got bad intel from John and George - namely that Paul was so into keeping the Beatles together that he'd relent eventually and go along with things.

What he didn't count on was Linda and the profound impact she had on him, very much like Yoko with John.

That set the stage for Paul to dig in and go nuclear on the whole thing - something which I truly believed threw them ALL for a loop, John especially.

Alternatively, Klein might have thought the others would replace Paul and carry on and it wouldn't matter. (See: The Rolling Stones)

vonwegen, BeatlesBop and BEAThoven like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]

;)

nasa09 and drum_cas like this.
  23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Has Lewisohn put pen to paper or finger to keyboard, for the much discussed volume 2 ?

Or is he still just researching ?

24. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I already have it!

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  25. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.