Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

... strawberry fields
    You know the place where nothing is real
    Well here's another place you can go
    Where everything flows.

;)

ODIrony likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

That was an account of my attempt to swim across the Mersey while blindfolded ... ;)

theMess and Kim Olesen like this.
  3. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

30 days eh, Arnie? Didja swim it lengthways twice?

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Have you ever tried swimming blindfolded? Very difficult. ;)

edenofflowers likes this.
  5. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

One way of looking at it is that Volumes 2 and 3 are ALREADY being released. Parts of them are already here! Hiding in plain sight. Mark's talk (in Liverpool) about the Beatles in India - which covered 67 and well as 68 was fantastic - as is his contribution to the recent Fab4All podcast about mid 69. So there's two or more chapters already out there. (I'm sure the autumn tour will be more of the same). Rather than waiting for the physical book all neat and tidy, we can actually dig into the results of his research / writing right now. That's the approach I'm taking anyway.

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Watch out for those sharks too.

Allen Klein et al.

7. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

I think Growing Up With The Beatles is the odd one out amongst the books previously discussed. It's more of a fan's love letter to the band. I have a soft spot for it because I received it as a Christmas present in 1981, when I was 12, and it was quite a revelation, reading about Beatlemania through the eyes of a kid growing up in Kansas. So yes, ok, the glow of nostalgia has a lot to answer for and GUWTB isn't essential by any means. But it doesn't make any great claims for itself and it has a lot of photographs that were rights-free at the time.

I received Shout! for my birthday the following year and read it more times than I can count. At the time, it dazzled me, the first 'serious' biography I had ever read. In the years since, I've come to regard Shout! more as a showcase for Philip Norman's flowing wordsmithery - the Beatles are still these unobtainable, unreachable figures. It's a nice world to live in, but reality it ain't. Tune In on the other hand....

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I see both sides of the frustration/anticipation of the 'delay' of Volume 2 not to mention Volume 3. IMO it comes down to if Mr. L is still discovering relevant and important material. If so, how does he know there's no more to find? There might always be something.... That sort encapsulates much of this thread's discussion.

Based on the substance of Volume 1, I'm willing to give him a pass for Volume 2 (not that I have much choice) presuming it shows up within the next 5 years. Volume 3 is a real concern (not to mention the Volume 4 if he's getting relevant info for post-Beatles coda). I wonder what his back up is in the event of some inability to complete the books. He may be thinking he's got another 22.44 years. Life Expectancy Calculator - www.riskprediction.org.uk

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Unless he's said he hasn't, I'm guessing he's written a rough draft, throwing everything (including the kitchen sink) into it. But he's still getting information so he inserts it...which might change stuff further along in the narrative. A domino effect.

Once it's mapped out, he'll cull in order to come out with the standard version (while setting aside the unculled manuscript for the expanded version).

theMess likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Plan B:

Give all of his research notes to a group of experts who can put it all together into a book or two as quick as possible. Such as:

[​IMG]

;)

11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

theMess, petem1966 and Zeki like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It’s funny; I got the extended version when first published, but found it a bit of a slog to get through. And I never did. I finished book one, but it was a CHORE, and I had no desire to start book two. Well, a couple weeks ago, I decided to backtrack and re-started book one again at about the start of 1960. And this time, I just flew through it. I’m now up to Love Me Do’s release and will be quite sad when I finish it off and have to wait for book two.

I know at least a few others commented that it was a tougher read than they expected - take a long break and return to it! You’ll be impressed!

Kim Olesen likes this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

On my 4th read through of the extended at the moment.

theMess likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

I'm reading the chapters in reverse. Fascinating and puts everything in a new light!!!

;)

MoonPool, majorlance, theMess and 2 others like this.
  15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

emosewA

MoonPool, majorlance, theMess and 2 others like this.
  16. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Completely off topic, but for a long time I've been wanting to pick a sci-fi series that's already completed, watch the pilot, and then for the rest of the show, only watch the beginning of each episode, the "previously on..." part, and then after finishing that watch the series and see if the story was anything like I thought...

17. dsdu

I'm waiting for the Hebrew version.

18. Arnold Grove

May I instead suggest:

[​IMG]

;)

jmxw, mw1917, Tom Daniels and 5 others like this.
  19. dsdu

I love that Ringo version!

Well, I talk about goys
    Don't ya know I mean goys
    Well, I talk about goys, now
    Aaahhh, goys
    Well, I talk about goys, now
    What a bundle of joy!
    (Alright, ג'ורג'!)

majorlance, theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Meshugana ... ;)

mrgroove01 and majorlance like this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Do you have a link to the podcast about 1969?

22. dsdu

...Kopf :crazy:

23. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

I did have a bit of trouble getting it to work - and can't send as a link for some reason. I got to it via SoundCloud and searched for Fab4Cast episode 119

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thank you !

25. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

You ask why a definite history of a group that ceased to exist 50 is necessary? To answer that question consider This YouTube Channel. It is but one of many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.