Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It caused my monocle to dislodge and a small amount of Sherry to spill onto my cravat.

fdsfd, BeatlesBop, dewey02 and 9 others like this.
  2. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

My good man. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    forthlin, robargebl and edenofflowers like this.
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve read Tune In — now have a chance to buy the expanded edition. Worth the upgrade? Question for anyone but especially those who happened to have read both?

somnar likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Vol 2 news always welcome.

5. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yes, of course. More bang for the buck. I have not read the small one, though. And I'm pacing myself on the expanded edition. Something to look forward to. If you like the Beatles a lot, then get the expanded.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Yes

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

That’s me. I’ve read everything I could find since 1976.

Thanks to you both.

Dugan likes this.
  8. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

:laughup: This is the laugh I've been needing all day long!

9. A Year in the Life – The Beatles 1962
    Sotheby's
    Published on Jun 26, 2019

Beatle’s author and historian Mark Lewisohn guides us through a pivotal year for the Fab Four as they transformed into the band that would conquer the world.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And next week, Sotheby's Presents:
    A Year in the Life – The Beatles' Ancestors 1243
    Beatle’s author and historian Mark Lewisohn guides us through a pivotal year for the Fab Four' ancestors as they struggle against the Black Plague, hide from invading marauders, and contemplate various techniques of blood-letting.... ;)

11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I went to this event at Abbey Road today and Mark Lewisohn gave a brief, but fascinating, talk about the Abbey Road album talk before the Analogues came on stage in Studio One and played and sang it, absolutely perfectly.

The Analogues: Exclusive live recording session

It was fab gear!

Yorick and Zeki like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Sounds fantastic. Glad you were able to see it.

bobcat likes this.
  13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It was wonderful.

They played Abbey Road all the way through in Studio One, where A Day In The Life was recorded, and then moved us all into the legendary Studio Two for an encore of I Call Your Name, Taxman and Norwegian Wood.

A perfect day for a Beatle fan (Beatlemaniac really) - quite emotional.

They're touring Abbey Road and Let it Be. Wonderful musicians and they play the material with love and huge attention to detail.

The Analogues

Zeki likes this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

15. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Still any clue on how Hornsey Road connects to Abbey Road?

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Use Google map directions. Horsey Road is about 3.9 miles away from Abbey Road in walking distance and you can take a variety of streets to get there...

;)

Tom Daniels likes this.
  17. fabwill

fabwill Forum Resident

Joe Meek’s old studio at 304 Holloway Road is very close to Hornsey Road in London. I wonder if that’s a connection. Alternatively, there is a Hornsey Road in Liverpool, very close to Anfield.

18. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

That's actually a very interesting point, that everything was still "Lennon-McCartney" -- even Paul's outside work -- right up to "Cold Turkey." Then, after John makes that momentous change and switches to "Lennon," Paul puts "McCartney" on "Come and Get It" a month or so later.

Perhaps the Beatles' future in late '69/early '70 was more up in the air than we've been led to believe. However, it's clear that the decision not to credit "Cold Turkey" to "Lennon-McCartney" was a real turning point, and likely something that stung Paul, and convinced him that John was serious about ending their partnership.

19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe that's why the separate credits showed up when they did; the meeting around that time saying they would have separate writing credits from then on.

theMess and Zeki like this.
  20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

supermd, Chris M, theMess and 6 others like this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That's just not true.

somnar and rediffusion like this.

22. I’ve been thinking along these same lines for awhile now in this thread, but these two back-to-back statements are getting me to finally come out and say it...

I’ve been wondering if John’s “I want a divorce” statement was really intended to break up the songwriting partnership with Paul - but not necessarily intended to break up the band.

This theory appears to fit with statements by people like George who said in an interview around this time that they had worked out a way to have equal John, Paul and George songs on future albums. That would seem to only be possible if the public finally knew that John and Paul were mostly writing their songs individually by this point, meaning separate songwriting credits were going to be needed. *

This theory may also fit with Paul’s “press release” with his first solo album. Wasn’t he responding to a hypothetical question asking him if the Lennon/McCartney partnership was still intact, and wasn’t his reply something like “I don’t know”? *

*Note: I’m just going by memory here. I haven’t bothered to look up exact quotes or exact dates. (“You bounder; you cheat!”)

23. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Yeah, completely wrong.
    Also, did Lennon get a cut of this one?...

[​IMG]

theMess, somnar and nikh33 like this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Look, I will blood let who you want me too ,or I won’t do it at all. Whatever will please you.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

John said in many interviews since that he was bored with the Beatles and wanted to go in a different direction with Yoko, since there was no place for Yoko in the Beatles. He never said anything different from that. You can hear in the January 1969 Twickenham tapes John warning that he feels "the divorce" is coming, and Paul saying he doesn't feel it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.