Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Um... her thoughts on Paul are, um, her private thoughts, which for some reason, she feels entitled to keeping to herself.

angelees, DrBeatle, blutiga and 6 others like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

When Mark‘s next interview/appearance?

3. RobGeurtsen

RobGeurtsen Forum Resident

I think this is what Lewisohn does naturally, he is more a fan of Lennon than of McCartney. He thinks he has a solid defence for Lennon's making fun of spastic movements, other defence violent behaviour with 'being broken by pain' - The Beatles Review of History: Something is rotten in the state of human affairs I wonder how erratic McCartney's behaviour has been, and how much complaints were registered with the authorities. He surely was no angel...

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Absolute nonsense; I am a vegan and love everything her business stands for, but sadly she does have a history of outrageous lies and false accusations; her Father went on the record to confirm as such. She went for Paul, got what she wanted and then lied to get more money from him in court but thankfully the judge realised it was BS.

Paul isn't perfect and we don't know a lot about his private life, but I don't accept anything if she is the only one saying it.

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

She's actually answered this, she has said that she has too much respect for her husband and own children to talk about a former love.

• "I realise I'm hypersensitive and probably slightly paranoid," she says, "but clearly the major connection with all that is personal. And because I've been happily married for 30-something years, it's insulting [to her husband and family]."

I push the point: "If I met the Dark Lady, I'd be bound to ask her about Shakespeare." Asher replies, "Yes, but the Dark Lady might say, 'I'm very sorry, but I'm now married to this playwright who hasn't had a single success, and his sonnets are crap, but I love him.' "

It's not easy to see what this response says about her feelings for her husband. But I press on, objecting that I couldn't care less what her teenage sex-life was like; I'm interested in the cultural history she's witnessed.

"I know what you're interested in," Asher accepts. "It may be musical, but my connection to that is personal, so it opens up a whole thing. You have to make a blanket rule and that's the decision I made, many years ago. And because I made that decision, it's just easier to stick to it."

Which I get. Talking about the only other major relationship in her life, going over what could have been may hurt her husband and children as if she had to settle for them.

Her younger self was hugely classy after the break up

• "I haven't broken it off, but it is broken off, finished. I know it sounds corny, but we still see each other and love each other, but it hasn't worked out. Perhaps we'll be childhood sweethearts and meet again and get married when we're about 70"

Which kind of suggests that even at the time of the break up her feelings for Paul were not all negative. Her brother remains on good terms with Paul so I don't think there is some kind of divide between the two families

[​IMG]

I'd also imagine pictures like this, Jane's husband and Paul's daughter, would not exist if Jane was that bitter about Paul.

6. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I wonder if Mary calls him Uncle Gerald?

7. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Excellent post. I have a tremendous respect for Jane regarding guarding her right to privacy.

dvakman, fdsfd, Headfone and 3 others like this.
  8. RobGeurtsen

Life is sometimes much easier. Scarfe is his own, as human being and as an artist. He was cutting edge, when the Beatles were entertaining, but admittedly, musically popularizing the new.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Now that I can understand

guitarman1969 likes this.
  10. alexpop

What’s Mark Lewisohn’s favourite Beatles album?

11. alexpop

I’m Only Sleeping?

This thread by the looks of it.:laugh:

12. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

At Beatleweek 2018, Mark said that he’d contacted Jane about an interview and she didn’t rule it completely at that point. I guess she must have had second thoughts?

13. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Wow. So Paul may still be in touch with Jane, albeit very indirectly.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  14. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

I have wondered about that as they have / had a number of mutual friends. Gerald Scarfe did a lot of artwork for Pink Floyd while Dave Gilmour appears to be a good friend of Paul. Model Twiggy and actress Joana Lumley were friends with Linda and also with Jane. Jane also starred in a TV series called The Mistress in the 80s, which was written by Carla Lane.

There are so many strange coincidences in Beatle history. Peter Ashers first wife Betsy Doster was the female assistant of Allen Klein, who actually ushered Linda Eastman on to the boat with the Rolling Stones and thus started her photography career. The irony!

15. RobGeurtsen

Are we sure here? There are versions of the story, in which Linda was invited for the launch. I guess you are right, what is your source?

16. RobGeurtsen

Why are you suggesting we should only read books and articles with which we fully agree. I guess Lewisohn cannot escape prejudice... but who cares, we know, and in the way he is writing his story it really doesn't matter much. BBUTT he should acknowledge how prejudices might influence his research, or the selection of data and his description. I love his book and yet because it is loved so much a clear-eyed critique is very fine. Just like praise for some of the chapters in Philip Norman's Shout etc. is appropriate and the research by Goldman is outstanding... Nuance might not convince... but rejecting to read a book because you disagree... we'll kinda strange to me.

17. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

My source is Linda herself. In her "Sixties" book she writes " It wasnt an invitation addressed to me but I took it and hid it in my drawer, knowing that no one else on the magazine would have wanted to go anyway [...]"

".[.] I was ushered on to the boat by Betsy Doster, who worked for the Stones management [...]

Paulwalrus, RobGeurtsen, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not to mention he has basically disowned his daughter Beatrice.

19. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

What?

[​IMG]

BeatlesBop, Zeki, DrBeatle and 6 others like this.
  20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You just like to post idiotic notions with no sources just to rile folks up.
    How incredibly boring.

Not to mention you reply to your own original post!

Zeki, maywitch, Paulwalrus and 8 others like this.
  21. RobGeurtsen

thx...

22. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

She has maintained her dignity for over 50 years. Why should she change now? Jane is the most impressive of all of the wives and girl friends IMO. She is quite simply a good person.

tteal, angelees, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

To answer some questions could be done without "loosing her dignity" - she can always choose not to answer questions too personal for her and still provide insight in the Beatles` lives and work.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  24. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It would be great if Jane would write or talk about "The Beatles" and none of the Boy-Girl stuff between her and Paul.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Betsy Doster (???) with Mick and Linda:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.