Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^On further research, that woman in the photo with Mick and Linda does not seem to be Betsy Doster.

Here is a photo of Betsy with Peter Asher when they were married:

[​IMG]

RobGeurtsen likes this.
  2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I was thinking about the 'Mark favoring Lennon' talk and it occurred to me that maybe it looks that way, or is that way, because Mark is a researcher and Lennon has given Mark more documents and interviews that say more about himself than McCartney did. Songs are documents and I'm guessing, since Mark has stated he'd choose a document over an interview at least recently, Lennon's documents are more revealing that McCartney's.

3. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I don't remember reading about this incident. Can you share some more details?

4. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

I can’t find the quote right now but she’s said it’s all tied together for her, it’s very personal and she can’t separate it. I respect her for making a decision and sticking to it.

5. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Maybe you didn't, and neither did John Lennon. Enjoy your trolling.

You guess wrong. As usual.

dirtymac, numer9 and thrivingonariff like this.
  7. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Partisan misrepresentation and convenient ignoring of facts. Welcome to the "Mindset of a Teen Girl circa 1964" Book Club.

marmalade166 and Dean R like this.
  8. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

BeatlesBop and Ken Wood like this.
  9. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Given the nature of the relationship (all emotional and sexual -- not full of "business" facts, as it were), the ups and down, and the way it ended could very well have Jane concerned about how it all be interpreted in the long run. This affects both her and Paul's legacies.

With Peter Asher, Paul had a more straight-up business relationship, and as that could be a bit more cut and dry, so Peter is willing to speak.

theMess and bewareofchairs like this.
  10. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yeah, keeping it private protects herself as much as Paul.

theMess likes this.
  11. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

This is Christina Berlin, a friend of Linda and daughter of Richard Berlin, president of the Hearst Company, which published Town & Country magazine ( the magazine where Linda worked when she nicked the invitation).

12. Arnold Grove

Thank you!

13. RobGeurtsen

RobGeurtsen Forum Resident

Dave, are you serious? Do you really believe in the authenticity myth of Lennon's art (or interviews), and secondly you equally still seem to believe in McCartney being the opposite pop-singer, with meaningless - unipersonal, inauthentic lyrics? It is a cliché. Try 'Truant Boy' by Martin Shough.

BellaLuna, tteal, maywitch and 3 others like this.
  14. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

My post had more to do with Lewisohn seeing everything as a document rather than it being about Lennon & McCartney and that Lennon has more documents out there than McCartney.

nikh33 likes this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Less bruising than "Throat of a Teen Girl circa Easter 1958" at least.

maywitch and Seltarb like this.
  16. RobGeurtsen

Could the woman in the photo of Jagger and Linda be the woman on the right side (for us) of Peter Asher?

17. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

You make an excellent case. I don’t think this can be explained away as anything other than bias. And he does it again when he comes up with an excuse in the interview for John’s insult to Paul’s songs.
    The fact he spent so much more time on Julia's death than on Mary's is also a good exmple of bias.

The way he tries to justify it is absurd. So it wasn’t “uncommon”. It certainly wasn’t anywhere near as common as he tries to make it seem. No comment about the whole James Dean excuse.

Yeah, wth the justifications for this. So what if they had been dating for 6 months? That doesn’t at all mean a rape cannot occur! I had read about this incident but had forgotten about it… maybe I’d rather not remember it, ugh.

18. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Dude, let it go. I doubt if the girl in question has suffered as much anguish over it than you. See a therapist if you must, but it's time to move on.....

19. RobGeurtsen

Source?

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Someone comments on something I said and I reply. See the way it works?

21. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Hang on, it is not like he brought it up in a conversation on Helter Skelter or who sang the 'ah's' in A Day in the Life.

The topic of this conversation is Mark Lewisohn's book and this is a segment from it. It is pertinent to this thread and when others play down Lennon's, who by his own admission did awful thing to women, antics by trying label it as a pretty common then others are right to bring this up. It was shocking, John holds his hand up and admits it. Maybe of others did not feel the need to deny what John did or try to ignore it completely then others would not have to bring it up in response.

To John's credit he recognized what he did was wrong and tried to change his behaviour. He did not try to justify it like Mark has done. It does not wash away what he did, but is still pretty good and hopefully was a lesson to others.

22. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Or is it Jane?
    [​IMG]

BeatlesBop and Arnold Grove like this.
  23. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Get well soon.

24. Arnold Grove

Yes, it is Jane.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn’t George fancy Jane as well top totty ., he seen her in the movies ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.