Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (fifth edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

A quote from Gigbag in Part 4:

"Reading about the 4th September 1962 recording session at EMI, it mentions that the Beatles used headphones while recording.
    I always thought that they used a 'White elephant' monitor speaker to listen to the backing track when overdubbing vocals, at least up until the Revolver sessions. Can anyone verify this?"

I've just re-read that part, and it does say that 'Norman Smith's voice gruffed How Do You Do It - Take 1 into their headphones.'

You may have uncovered the first real mistake here. I've also read that they didn't use headphones until 'Revolver', unless Mark now has evidence to the contrary.

3. If you have a few extra bucks get the image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Genesis Ringos Photographs book. It's stunning limited to 2500 signed copies.

I went to the press party for it in Vegas last night just before his final concert of this tour. And got to meet him. The book is great.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am having a really good time reading this book but the suspense is killing me. They have now been passed over by both Decca and EMI, and I have lost all my fingernails wondering if they are ever going to get a record deal.

I was hoping to get some information on this issue by reading these 150 pages or so of posts in these 5 discussions, but all I seem to find are page counts of the sections on their pre-adolescent experiences and admonitions not to post anything until I read a different book that costs 6 times as much money and has not been published in this country.

Fullbug, walrus, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Who's the lucky with the I Me Mine - Genesis book. Also .. Blinds & Shutters.:love:

6. They are beautiful and yes expensive books. I have collected all the Beatles related volumes. But when you hold them and page through them, you see why they cost what they do. And they really shoot up in the secondary market but I've never sold any of mine

7. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

I love this Hamburg photograph! Wowzer, what a show these kids are putting on!! Taken by Gerd Mingram, in April 1961.

hamburg 1961 A.jpg

8. alexpop

And they go up in value. :)

9. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

I have the big edition of this book. A friend has lent me the abridged version. I have started to go over them trying to find the differences. The first one I found is when he is talking about their ancestors he mentions that some of the babies died. In the abridged one that is it. In the big one he tells you their names and what they died of and the year it happened. I'm still looking for more if anyone is interested.

10. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm very interested in the differences.

I'm up to page 300 in the standard edition. I find that all I want to do in my free time is read this great book! Too bad I don't have more free time, but at least this way I'm getting to savor it.

11. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Me too ladycat. Thanks for doing the comparison.

12. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Very interested.

13. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

If you have any questions about the book I will try to answer them. I don't know if I should start another thread or keep it here.

14. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

I thought this was interesting, in the big book there is mention of John's grandfathers brother. His name was William and he was a Catholic priest. There was talk of him losing his vows with a woman but it was not proved. He is not mentioned in the abridged book.

15. scoostraw

16. alexpop

Met Uncle Charlie ( dead ringer for John) on the MMT tour bus. I was on a Beatles pilgrimage in 97'.. Apparently he used the bus to collect his pension. Took a couple of photos. Anyway the bus broke down in Penny Lane and we all got a refund. :)

Rickchick likes this.
  17. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

I'm wondering which version of the book is selling the best, and whether this could influence what is printed up as the paperback.
    Looking at some of the large format paperbacks (including Bill Harry's encyclopedia, and Lewisohn's own Radio Times guide to TVcomedy) it looks feasible that the extended version could fit into a large paperback edition (albeit with small font).
    If that were possible, it might present a solution to publishing it in the US. Just thinking aloud.

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I've read them both. Anyone want to know anything?

theMess, sambamaster and bumbletort like this.
  19. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

No. I want to know everything.

Simon A likes this.
  20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Actually I've got a question. It's not really important but I'm curious. I had a copy of the expanded edition mailed to me on Nov. 13 by Amazon UK. It arrived with no problems and even arrived early so I'm happy.

I always look to see where books are printed and to see any info on the type of paper used and that kind of thing. Anyway, I noticed it said printed or published Nov. 2013, then under that was stated, reprinted 2013. So was the expanded edition reprinted even before the thing was published? Did everyone who got the first big shipment from Amazon UK get the first printing or were there multiple printings due to a larger demand than expected.

It doesn't really matter but like I said I'm always curious about the little details involving books. I'm just glad it was not a limited, numbered edition. I hate that stuff.

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It sold out on advance orders.

22. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

'Recording the Beatles' (Kehew and Ryan) states on p252 that The Beatles didn't begin using headphones until 1966. On p250 it states that 'All Beatles overdubs recorded prior to 1966 were done with the RLS10 (White Elephant monitor speaker) playing the already-recorded backing track out loud in the studio, as no headphones were available...'

23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Is it possible that Mark just chose the wrong turn of phrase here, not really thinking about the word 'headphones'?

'Norman Smith's voice gruffed How Do You Do It - Take 1 into their headphones'

And to follow that...

Yes Nik. Is there much more detail about the various recording sessions in the extended edition? (Any more mention of headphones at EMI? ;))

24. scoostraw

How did that work anyway? Wouldn't there be a feedback issue?

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Only what was already on tape would need to be played back, not the overdub itself. Some leakage yes, feedback no.

zobalob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.