Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (fifth edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Mainly, I am hoping that I don't "go out of business" while waiting for the next 2 volumes...

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I hear you on that. In fact, I've already put a special clause into my will stating that "I refuse any attempts of life-saving resuscitation, EXCEPT if I have not finished reading Volume 3 of Mark Lewisohn's books...".

Arnie

3. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

I'm guessing one of the two running times is listed wrong. There'd be no reason to make two versions.

4. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, I believe the same thing, my tracking said the same and then USPS delivered.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's nothing compared to what these guys did in just ONE WEEK! ;) (from 5:08)

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Ah, one of the funniest movies of all time. I've just about worn out my DVD copy of All You Need is Cash...hilarious!

7. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

FedEx and UPS also partner with the postal service these days. FedEx calls theirs "FedEx Smartpost". UPS calls theirs "Blue and Brown Make Green". In both cases the originating carriers hand off the parcel to the postal service for "the last mile" of delivery.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

I think the quote you're referring to is when he's talking about trading in his trumpet for a guitar (yep, I'm a Beatle geek :))

I don't know why you're not able to go with the idea that Paul was nervous back then. This book helps you look at these guys as mere mortals, ie, not like "the international superstar McCartney" of the last 30 years.

Vol. 1 refers to Pauls nerves quite a few times, as well as the quarrymen lead guitar issue, also at the Decca and EMI auditions. It's nothing to get hung about tho, just part of the journey. Paul was soon flying with confidence from late '63 on.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My Deluxe Expanded Edition of TUNE IN finally arrived here from the U.K. in fine shape.

What a door-stop this edition is. I mean, it's gargantuan.

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

And doing guitar solos in the studio for George!

Vagabond likes this.
  11. belardd

belardd Senior Member

got my Expanded today

dewey02 likes this.
  12. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Alexander the Great conquered the world by age 33.
    Jesus transformed the world by age 33.
    The Beatles rocked the world before they were 30.
    What have you done with your life?

;)

13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I just got mine as well. I guess complaining about it on this thread helped :righton:

rstamberg likes this.
  14. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

ote="gottafeelin, post: 9731977, member: 17032"]Alexander the Great conquered the world by age 33.
    Jesus transformed the world by age 33.
    The Beatles rocked the world before they were 30.
    What have you done with your life?

;)[/quote]
    I suspect a third of it was spent waiting for the publication of volume 1 :cool:

gottafeelin, Dugan and petem1966 like this.
  15. Gigbag

Gigbag Forum Resident

My audio book version is part 2 1961 to 1962. Part 2 includes Mark reading his introduction and prologue, which presumably starts part 1 as well. That would account for a timing difference.

16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Which DHL site are you using? DHLGA is DHL Global Mail. My understanding is that the DHL Global Mail tracking site (as opposed to the DHL-USA site) should be used when looking up tracking numbers provided by the European Amazons:

http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/

17. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I actually received the book today but just for kicks I tried the site above and still didn't give me an update. Said 'No Results Found' So I still don't understand those Amazon tracking numbers, very odd.

Thanks though.

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

So, have you finished reading it yet? :)

19. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

No, I'm not thinking of the trumpet. I do recall he had said that he knew George was more dedicated to the guitar than he was. And I have no problem with realizing he is a "mere mortal"... that's not at all what I was implying. I can understand why the Clubmoor Hall debacle would make him shy away from playing lead, but to me it seems unlike his personality to have continued to refuse to do so. That's all... not arguing anything here, my Fab friend. Just hoped to shed light on a question some were discussing. If I can find the interview, I'll post it.

Vagabond likes this.
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It was in a 1973 interview with Paul Gambacchini, reprinted in a book called something like 'Paul McCartney In His Own Words'.

Trixie Jones likes this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I heard that that book was very biased, so I never read it.

nikh33 likes this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah, I mean it hardly even mentioned Pete Best.

bumbletort likes this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Just not right.

bumbletort likes this.
  24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Two full chapters on Mike Love, though.

bumbletort and Bill like this.
  25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Mine finally arrived yesterday, complete w a couple of slightly dented corners on the outer slipcase. It was shipped in a slightly larger amazon.it box, and the only packaging material was a single crumpled sheet of brown wrapping paper, so it's not surprising that an item this heavy, freely sliding around in the box, would arrive in less-than-pristine condition.

While I would much prefer a "perfect" copy - slipcase and all - I think this will have to do, given availability, shipping time and the fact that the crumples are relatively minor. But it just could have been avoided with better packaging more appropriate to a heavy item, to minimize even this minor damage to a relatively expensive book.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.