Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Seltarb, noahjld, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  2. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Has anyone got a copy of that New Yorker article Mark mentions? "Letting it Be" in the January 24 1994 edition.

3. SFJ

SFJ Well-Known Member

Or how he said, how Mark was "just starting to write the second book" back in August '17 and November '17, but now, just a couple months ago, he said how Mark was "probably starting this year." Does he even know the guy?

Seltarb, Shawn, hallucalation and 2 others like this.
  4. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Maybe the "Paul is dead" hoax wasn't a hoax?

5. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

One thing I'll say about this is that Mark did say this on Twitter a few years ago. I remember seeing it and being happy - obviously it wasn't right, but it was definitely there. So even if you don't know Mark, you can get to see his mistakes in public on Twitter :)

However, Mark is now much more circumspect - he tells everyone that he's currently still researching and hasn't started writing. I tend to believe Mark.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe Bernard Purdie will be shocked ... ;)

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

8. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Oh wow, we are stepping into Brainwashed territory here! So many insiders, so little truth

Seltarb, gary191265, noahjld and 4 others like this.
  9. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yes, I'm sure it's something like this. They just reached a point where they distrusted any biographer or 'expert', and that's the end of it.

Lewisohn also told the story, recently, of how when he met George the first time (prior to Anthology), George was very accommodating and they (and one or two others) all went to a pub together and had a nice chat. But a few years later, when he encountered George again during Anthology, George was crusty and had gotten (so Lewisohn thought) the impression that he was a "Paul guy", in the knowledge that Lewisohn had been employed by MPL for a short time.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  10. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

This kind of comment annoys me. What is the point of making such a provocative quote about a book that is YEARS from publication? Just to promote yourself? Tease future readers?

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Got it in one!

12. Arnold Grove

Just posting this photo. No particular reason, but I might not have seen it before:

[​IMG]

13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

The problem here is: "A watched pot never boils."
    I remember the days when you found out about a new release by going to the store and seeing it on the shelf.
    Volume Two will get here when it gets here. Hey, I ain't the youngest guy around, but I'm not worried.

somnar and arthurprecarious like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I didn't listen to the interview but perhaps he was answering a question, such as: Are readers going to find out/learn anything surprising from Vol. 2? (Or maybe question even used the word "shocking").

I don't find anything untoward about his comment. Of course, he wants to gin up interest in the book.

15. Arnold Grove

Well, I am the oldest person here, so I am WORRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"No, you're not", said Little Nicola ... ;)

Headfone likes this.
  16. paper shoes

paper shoes Forum Resident

He was responding to the host's comment at the end, as he was wrapping up the interview, "We think we all know the story, but to actually bring it to life...."

We know it was a crazy time but maybe he's implying that we don't really appreciate just how insane and dangerous it actually was, rather than a specific scandal we know nothing about. It's the stuff going on behind the scenes, for example Derek Taylor told that story about the mother who encouraged her daughter to cry rape so that they could blackmail them, there were paternity claims, there were death threats etc. Neil Aspinall may have told him what happened on the Australian (Satyricon) tour and according to Paul Gambaccini, Macca did go to the police at the time of the Yewtree investigation saying "You will hear stories about me", so he was obviously paranoid - as a lot of celebrities were, but Mark has said that he hasn't found anything untoward there. I'd anticipate that, as we read it, we'll feel an increasing sense of exhaustion and disbelief and by the end of it, you'll have come as close as it is possible to actually living it and that's what will shock you.

ladycat, Zeki and marmalade166 like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thank you. An interesting thought, well said.

18. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

I like yours better. My opening sentence was going to be:

It was a dark and stormy night...

19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

About the best pic from that time period on stage that I've ever seen

somnar likes this.
  20. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Although he wasn't a biographer, I expect the major betrayal of Denis O'Brien didn't help either. In the 80s he might've been ok, but by the time of the Anthology I think George's level of tolerance for any breach of trust had become very low.

I'd never really thought about that kind of thing being an issue, but I guess it makes sense given the obvious bias Philip Norman and others showed. It's a real shame they weren't able to patch things up before George died. When he worked for the Beatles Book Monthly, Lewisohn wrote some very nice things about him and even went to the Carl Perkins and Friends special.

marmalade166 likes this.
  21. roho

roho Forum Resident

And if I go before the next installment is published, I'll get the rest of the story first hand from John.

Fullbug, notesfrom and Headfone like this.
  22. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Now that is funny.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Ain't that the truth.

24. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

But she didn't "break up The Beatles"......

25. Arnold Grove

Olivia broke up the Wilburys though ... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.