Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My first graders had to fill in a sheet on the things they know how to do and they checked "tell time."
    I explained to them that they did not know how to tell time as reading the numbers on a digital clock did not count as telling time.

Dugan likes this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

3. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I'd really love to get the extended edition but it's just too damn pricey for me at the moment. I'm taking my lady out for our anniversary and no matter how much I/we love the Beatles, I'd rather spend that green on us. Hopefully the thing won't be completely out of reach years hence. As it is, I'm barely a third of the way through the regular edition and loving every word; Lewisohn is so much craftier with his prose than I expected!... though I can't think of a book I've ever read on any subject that was so specifically targeted to people who already care very, very, very much. It won't be the Beatles book I recommend first for casual fans.

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You won't find it too much cheaper than around 75 - 80 pounds. That's the best price I've seen for it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

supermd and Critter like this.
  6. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Wow! Great! Thank you.

7. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

Just wanted to alert others who haven't gotten the Extended Special Edition that there are still some out there. I got mine from Bol.com using google translate and with a lot of help and advice from Mooserfan it finally arrived. It was a little dinged up on the outside box holding the books as evidenced by these pictures but really that is minor considering I finally have one plus there's no guarantee it wouldn't come that way from Amazon. I finally bit on bol.com because I just wasn't convinced the next printing would come since they are relying on pre orders at amazon so I'm thankful I got one. Check bol.com out if you're interested. It cost me $140 dollars plus a credit card fee so for $150 I consider myself fortunate. Thanks again Mooserfan for alerting me to this!
    IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0757.JPG

alexpop, Critter and Mooserfan like this.
  8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. I got it for 74 pounds and that was the preorder price months before its release. If they're going to go through all the trouble of another print run, they'll want to make some money on it.

9. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I'm happy for you Rigby2222, enjoy it!!

rigby2222 likes this.
  10. Danne

Danne Forum Resident

Unfortunately it seems it's not available on Bol.com any more. I tried to order it on Monday, and now I've gotten a message that they have trouble obtaining it. I guess I have to wait for the reprint...

11. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I got that same message Danne, and two days later I got the shipping notice. Give it at least a few more days before giving up.

Danne likes this.
  12. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident

I just read the part about John, Paul and George not attending the Buddy Holly concert in Liverpool, where they instead went to The Morgue Skiffle Cellar. It kind of bothers me, knowing how much they loved Holly. And Lewisohn doesn't really reveal why they made this decision. Can it really be that no one, during all these years, asked them why they skipped it?

13. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

To be honest, they probably wouldn't even know themselves even if they were asked. I can tell you that I skipped some great concerts when I was young and hanging out with friends and I have NO idea what I was thinking at the time... I think being young sometimes means being careless with your thoughts.

But I had the same thought when I read that, I was thinking "there had to be a reason" before I came up with the conclusion that this was real life and the reality is "no, there doesn't have to be a reason" as there often isn't.

Gardo, petem1966 and DwarfMcDougal like this.
  14. I agree. I'm still only about 65% of the way through the US edition and, although the facts and the accounts start to gel a lot better by the time Stu joined and they started calling themselves 'The Beatles' etc., I distinctly remember thinking the same things about the earlier periods in the book. I kept asking myself, "Why didn't anyone ask these questions? Why not schedule another interview with <fill in the blank> before considering the research complete for this book?" But then I tried to think of my own teenage years (only three decades ago in my case now) and realized many of the details are now forgotten or misremembered.

"Ob-la-di ob-la-da life goes on bra
    La-la how the life goes on"

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think I'm finally at the halfway mark. wow this one is taking a while. Granted I read about ten different books at a time...

16. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I'm almost afraid to ask this question but here goes... How much will I be missing if I just go with the standard version of this book? I saw it today in a bookstore and almost bought it but remember reading about this extended edition. I'm a huge fan of the Beatles but not necessarily one who needs to read about every person, every event and everything they've ever done. But then again... Thoughts?

17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I read about 200 pages of the standard edition before the extended one arrived, and then I started reading that one. Based on what I read, my recollection was that the main difference I noticed was that the extended edition went into a lot more detail on the backgrounds of George Martin and Brian Epstein.

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I think he said that John was more of a record fan, and didn't care about attending concerts, even of his favorite artists. Not sure about why Paul and George didn't attend.

DwarfMcDougal and PhoffiFozz like this.
  19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Just got through the first book of the expanded edition. It took a month. One word that sums it up for me: grey. It really made me feel that England was grey as the Beatles were born through when they became a band. There was a whole lot of info about Lennon's emotional background. His seemed to be the most interesting and troubled. It's interesting to read the background of the #1 guy in the #1 band (in my opinion anyway). Also how all four of them just believed in becoming famous no matter what happened to them.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  20. Danne

Danne Forum Resident

Thanks, I waited, and I also got the shipping notice! Hopefully I will have the book in my hands next week! :)

Mooserfan likes this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

2nd Printing expected to ship from Amazon UK
    April 29 2014 - May 01 2014

22. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Something funny I found myself questioning with this book....when did they ever call themselves the "Silver Beatles"?

Was this a revelation?

23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

3rd printing.

24. Livercool

Livercool Active Member

This is a fantastic book,I bought the first edition,& then in a record shop,the fellah working there offered me the extended edition for a special price,had to sneak it past the wife in to the house.
    It was worth it,Mark was destined to write this book,& I am thankful he has,wonderful...

edenofflowers, supermd and dave9199 like this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

My extended edition shipped from Amazon UK today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.