Beatles Biography by Mark Lewisohn (6th edition)- plus Lewisohn news. *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ditto

2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I was reading the deluxe version--I don't own the abridged--when I was in a bookstore and picked up the shorter version. What was on page 62 in it was on page 151 (I think that's close, if not exact--it's been a few months), and I remember thinking "90 pages of the story of the early years got cut."

None of it is essential to understanding and appreciating the Beatles, methinks; I mean, you get a good flavor for the family structure in which they were reared, and the society in which they matured, but you don't REALLY need to the ship number Alf was on, or the day of departure of it to appreciate "I Saw Her Standing There."

JcS

Paper Wizard and mindblanking like this.
  3. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Thanks. Ended up picking up the standard version and I'm loving it. Could use more pics though.

4. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Just got mine from Amazon UK today..

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too. Whoa, what a nice set of books :) I have been reading the regular US book on my Kindle but stopped because I wanted to wait for this extended edition. Seeing the actual books and not the ebook format makes me appreciate even more the work that went into writing this book. Amazon UK had it double boxed so it made it across the pond in perfect shape too. It is pricey but for a Beatles fan of 50 years it was worth it.

nikh33 likes this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

That's good they started doing that. When I got mine from them last year, it was single boxed and the box was torn. The book was undamaged but I'm lucky it didn't fall out.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No kidding. I would have been really mad to pay what we had to pay to buy these and have it dinged up.

8. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

Lewisohn told me the shorter version has all the revelations. The larger book has supplemental material added.

Evan L and metalgod like this.
  9. fabwill

fabwill Forum Resident

10. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Not sure if this has been posted earlier, but I'm seeing many copies of the standard UK version of Tune In for sale at Half Price Books. They are $19.99. Get 'em while they're hot!

11. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Just got to all the stuff about "Like Dreamers Do" and George Martin's arm being twisted and such. Wow, history virtually rewritten, right?

12. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Got the extended edition a few days ago!! :righton:

I'm on page 186 now and I'm enjoying it very much. A lot more interesting than I was expecting. :goodie:

13. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident

I really adore this book (deluxe version).
    I've never been so into a story before, it really flows. I'm on the second book right now, page 941.
    It annoys me that Paul never invests in new instruments!:shrug:

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

A tightwad even then!

DwarfMcDougal likes this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just finished the regular edition. This definitely is one of the best, if not the BEST, Beatles book I've ever read. Lots of info to digest, but you come away have learned so much, and it clears up most of the legends and false stories about the Beatles' early years from previous books. Someone was nice enough to get me the extended version of the book and as soon as I can clear some time up on my calendar I'll be going through this one as well. :D

dustybooks and edenofflowers like this.
  16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I just finished the deluxe edition. Unlike any music bio I've read because it's not just about the band and its music, it's about their lives and everything that happened during that time. I have nothing to compare it to. I enjoyed it thoroughly. My hands got stronger from holding the book for so long. Now I can open pickle jars without that rubber dealy.

Gardo, dvakman, somnar and 9 others like this.
  17. cartoonland

cartoonland Forum Resident

Devoured the condensed version which I purchased at the book signing last Nov. in San Francisco.
    My sister asked me what I wanted for my birthday (this June 4th) about 8 days ago. I mentioned the extended version and sent a link. Splitting the cost with another sister, she ordered the book for me. It's a "big" birthday so a "special" present is in order. She had it shipped directly to me here in San Francisco from England.
    The book arrived today, about 6 days after it was ordered.
    The hard part?
    I'm not gonna open it until June 4th.
    NOW THAT'S WILL POWER.

18. metalgod

metalgod Well-Known Member

Long time lurker....signed up because of this thread.

As previously asked back in February on page 1 of this part 6 thread - I do not know why, in such a global connected age, there is an uproar about the US not publishing the unabridged version. The shipping cost is so minimal compared to the price of the book. It was about $11 to ship the book to Michigan and $130 for the books.

I jumped the ebay gun in February and almost shelled out $240 for the books; thankfully the supplier ran out. A few days later Amazon.co.uk had a presale for the next run of the ESE. I pre-ordered it right away and patience was my best friend. It arrived earlier this month. I've only read about 50 pages but its such a wonderful read that I look forward to some time off to get really far into the books.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I bought the Deluxe when it came out but, for various reasons, am only just getting round to reading it. As a result I haven't kept up with the chat about this, so apologies if this has already been covered but:

What do folks make of Lewisohn's assertion that McCartney's first compositions were Suicide and a prototype When I'm 64? McCartney, of course, has given that honour to I Lost My Little Girl. Now, obviously, Macca's memory my well be playing tricks on him but Lewisohn doesn't even make reference to or acknowledge McCartney's claim for that song. I find this odd. Thoughts?

20. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Finally accumulated another few Amazon gift cards so I just ordered the Deluxe Edition! Can't wait to read it. I figured I better order it now before prices get too crazy.

21. metalgod

metalgod Well-Known Member

The price went from 80 pounds to 97 and now back down to 81. Fetch it soon!

DwarfMcDougal likes this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

He says (on page 400) that "I Lost My Little Girl" was the first song McCartney wrote on guitar. The earlier songs were on piano. He acknowledges McCartney's claim in an endnote (#89 on page 786).

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Spoiler! :)

But seriously, thank you for taking the time to look that up.

24. cartoonland

cartoonland Forum Resident

Tomorrow's the big day. BEATLES HERE I COME!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.