Beatles: Box of Vision

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Detroit Rock Citizen, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital Thread Starter

I tried to see if there was a thread I could piggyback onto. I was unsuccessful. Any way this has been on my list since it came out. I found it at a great price so I gave myself an early Christmas present. especially considering the low number it may be a knock off but it's sturdy. If you want to take a look go ahead

My Music Collection

2. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I got it too, I’m not convinced it was a good purchase. Something about it feels sort of self indulgent. I suppose how much one pays for it is a factor, in the end it doesn’t contain Beatle music which is what I always care about the most.

3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Oh yeah, I get that. Considering I probably won't be using it for its intended purchase, maybe it it a little bit self indulgent. If I do decide to get it I'll get a new to me set of the 87's or the 09's. I got both of the corresponding boxes and all the individual CDs on the shelf but I want all of those to stay right where they're at. Both the books are fab BTW

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I bought this when it had just come out and still have it. I use it to store the 80's CD's and a few other "unique" releases such as the 30th anniverssary White Album, the Anthologies (all of which I have on vinyl if I care to listen to them which i do at times), the first BBC set (which I also have on vinyl) and a couple of others. I think it's a nice idea but not for repeated pulling-out of CD's to listen to on a regular basis. truth is, the design of the "flap" compartments is pretty lousy...take a disc out just once and the corner totally goes out of whack. They should have designed this better. But still, I've held onto to it, display it...the books are nice and musically, I've filled it in a way that their music is well represented start to finish.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If one looks to the past of what came before the Box Of Vision, it appears a solid concept, designed around products that already existed (or, seemed poised to exist). Nowadays to make that relevant, we need not only at the very least a second Box Of Vision ("double-vision"?), or perhaps a bigger concept ("Bookcase Of Vision", anyone?).

I too suffer from going all-in on a product whose usefulness is rapidly undercut by the next stage in the genesis of the products the one product is released in accordance with. Perhaps in the future, I shall store all my makeup in this box (knowing full well I have no current need or desire to wear, let alone display, makeup). I may seek to locate further pages of storage-capable mylar, which will not be either compatible with the box, or aesthetically-matching of what's already in there, diminishing the validity of the product as a place to hold boots, the contents of the next generation of commemorative singles releases, or even as a Jello mold. (mmm, moldy Jello - finally a proper application for that "green" color!)

The more likely scenario, will be finally girding my loins, and doing my all to store the right and proper products inside this right-and-proper storage product...and then higglety-pigglety tossing it aside for the deluxe edition products in the deluxe edition boxes, which will probably be either 1/8th" too-short or too-tall to fit comfortably aside them on a shelf without throwing the balance off the cabinet.

And that, my friends, is when Giles wins. :evil:

ndoheny likes this.
  6. Detroit Rock Citizen

7. Detroit Rock Citizen

8. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I purchased this as well and love the look of it but could never come to terms of storing anything in it.
    Tried a couple of arrangements but ended up saying I'm not doing that. So it sits very nicely on my shelf (empty) between the US and Mono box sets.

to DK Pete - love the avatar.

[​IMG]

9. Dillydipper

Feel free to elaborate on whatever all those rolling eyes mean, person with an apparent opinion that you can't seem to express coherently, while I at least tried.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Thanks.:cool:

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I bought the Box of Vision for the books and the box itself is in a closet. Anytime I get an elaborate box set that won't fit on my CD shelf, I immediately transfer the discs to jewel cases.

12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

a $350.00 CD wallet?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  13. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Very few paid that much for it.

14. I payed $75.00 for mine i have all the cd's that it is made for in it. years ago i downloaded all the dr ebbetts versions and transferred them to cd if i want to listen i just put in those or any of the other numerous versions i downloaded and put on cd i have so may different versions i will never have to take them out of the box

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

certainly. I just [saw] that price from an Amazon third-party seller before posting. By now a collector's item. Interesting however that some authentic items from the 60s go for much less.

16. Detroit Rock Citizen

I'm not sure what your purpose here. was but it sounds like you were either high when you wrote it or it's a failed attempt at Ginsberg or Kerouac. I'm going to go with high sinse you couldn't comprehend my what I was writing. Whatever the case, you lost me the moment you mentioned Giles. Feel free to ignore me.

Shawn and fatwad666 like this.
  17. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

I just recently picked up a used BoV from ebay where the seller had it listed as 'very good' and failed to note that 2 of the 4 cd pages had come loose with no chance whatsoever to reattach them. Made sense after I went back and looked at the original listing and he only provided photos of the pages that are still in tact. *sigh*

Anyway, I didn't bother with a return because it's big and I just wasn't in the mood to mess with it. I just figured I'd not store any cd's in it, and maybe just repair/replace the pages that are in it to at least make it functional.

That said, has anyone else tried to do this to theirs? The pages are about 12x12" and actually come out rather effortlessly by removing a few screws. I can't seem to find decent replacements though.

18. Detroit Rock Citizen

What # do you have?

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I bought this in 2009 and am pretty glad I have it. I do store my CDs in there, but they're all ripped so I rarely take them out. But the inserts are easy to get to, and I really like the books that came with the box.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  20. Detroit Rock Citizen

If everyone could also let us know the number of their box is, that be great. Also was this ever counterfeited?

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never heard of this until now.

22. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I have one of these sitting in the closet, in the box, unopened. Put it away because I really didn't have display space for it at the time but OCD said I needed it anyway. And I forgot about it. I probably still don't have display space for it but may be time to take a look at it at least.

23. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Idiot!

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

K

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

You make it so easy!

I was merely pointing out that now with so many more boxes and editions out, the box has sort of outlived its' usefulness, and maybe some arts-n'-craft could be applied to make it ergonomically useful...or, somehow a second, bigger (huge-er!) box might be able to help, but not likely. But of course you seem to have lit your hair on fire because I made a whimsical comment about Giles, completely missing an intentionally-humorous context about the boxes not matching in size and shape.

I'll come back when adults are in the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.