Beatles Brazil Mono Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dave9199, Oct 31, 2019.

1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

1) A-side: Coming Up (live at Glasgow) / B-side: Coming Up
    2) A-side: Waterfalls / B-side: Check My Machine
    3) A-side: Once Upon A Long Ago / B-side: Once Upon A Long Ago (promo)
    4) A-side: This One / B-side: This One (promo)
    5) A-side (33 rpm): Figure Of Eight 7" Mix + Figure Of Eight 12" Mix / B-side 45 rpm: Figure Of Eight 7" Mix + Figure Of Eight 12" Mix (promo)
    6) A-side: We Got Married (Paul) + Hey Jude (Beatles) / B-side: Can't Buy Me Love (Beatles) + Got To Get You Into My Life (Beatles) (promo)

DK Pete likes this.
  2. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Are the solo Beatles mono 45s generally fold downs outside of the UK, US and maybe Canada? I've seen Paul's Another Day single from Brazil and also Portugal supposedly in mono. I am wondering if either is worth getting as well as any other singles from the Beatles solo in mono that may be out there.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes, fold downs.

John Bliss likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just saw your post...my album is the top one.

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh... so, the lesser cool looking design. ;)

DK Pete likes this.
  6. 5th-beatle

First of all, thanks to the Moderator who reopened this thread.

Since my previous reply to that question you made in this thread I have tracked down a few more Brazilian rarities and I thought you would like to see some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Library Eye, John Bliss, DRM and 2 others like this.
  7. 5th-beatle

Found this message on a similar (closed) thread and thought it would be a good idea to ask here: can you please share a picture of your Venus And Mars?

I'm asking because as far as I'm aware the last Brazilian mono fold down LP by a former Beatle was Wild Life in 1972.

From the same closed thread: as far as I'm aware, John's "POB" was never available as a mono fold down here in Brazil. The first edition was released in stereo, back in 1974:

John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band

Meanwhile, perhaps you would like to see pictures of the Brazilian mono fold downs of "Live Peace In Toronto" and "Imagine" that I purchased recently:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well you're probably right! I was confusing my Venus And Mars for my Venezuelan copy (they are packaged similarly with the outer plastic sleeve. My apologies for the wrong info.

5th-beatle and DK Pete like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very very cool. Thanks for posting them.

5th-beatle likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…so side one of Imagine uses an Apple label extremely similar to side one of the US Plastic Ono Band; very interesting!!

DRM, John Bliss and 5th-beatle like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The fold down UK mono original Let It Bleed sounds fantastic, as does the CD in the mono box. Decca knew what they were doing and there was no point in doing a dedicated mono mix when the fold sounded that good. Some of the early Stones hit singles that we love were folds too and nobody was complaining.

Library Eye and DK Pete like this.
  12. 5th-beatle

I didn't know about the mono edition from Venezuela, so it's worthwhile info!

You're welcome. The one with Paul and his bass on the cover was limited to 500 copies and distributed to radio stations only back in 1994.

Yes, and over the past few weeks I've been making a list of these unique Brazilian mono editions.

So far I've got Live Peace In Toronto, Imagine, McCartney and Sentimental Journey.

Ram and Beaucoups Of Blues will soon be here.

The ones I'm still looking for are Wonderwall, All Things Must Pass, Beatles Forever and Wild Life.

I'll share more pictures soon.

Library Eye, forthlin and DK Pete like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Where do you get them? I’m continually on the lookout for Beatle LP’s from different parts of the world. I’ve got Uruguay, Mexico, Phillipines, Chile, Greece, Italy…the obsession has no end. But I find Brazil hard to come by. I don’t know if I’m looking at the wrong places or if my timing is just bad.

DRM likes this.
  14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

OK well that one I do have! Had no idea it was so limited.:)

5th-beatle and DK Pete like this.
  15. 5th-beatle

It is! If someone ever asks for proof, check the upper left side of the back cover. It says "500 cópias".

I'll send you a few links privately, as I don't know whether we're allowed to advertise record stores here.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very much appreciated.

DRM likes this.
  17. 5th-beatle

McCartney, Ram, Sentimental Journey and Beaucoups Of Blues, all Brazilian mono fold downs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This is where I get confused. Almost certainly early Stones singles, like with The Beatles, were intended for mono release only. The "stereo" could be thought of as stems for the mono. Then because of how the tech evolved we all got used to listening to the stereo rather than the mono. So how can a early '60s mono be called a "fold down".. was there not a dedicated mono master tape? And wouldn't the stereo have come later with an entirely different mix made from the multis?

19. 5th-beatle

Here is the rare Brazilian mono fold down "Wonderwall" that I received yesterday, pictured next to the even rarer UK true mono mix.

Can you spot the differences in the front covers, regarding the drawing of the ladies?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Library Eye likes this.
  20. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

guess someone thought that arm looked outta place

& that hand

and wanted a little more color in the attire

5th-beatle likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle

I think it's the only country that altered that album cover and I bet most people did not even notice such minor changes.

Anyway, if all goes well I will receive a mono fold down of "All Things Must Pass" in the coming weeks and I will share some pictures.

Library Eye likes this.
  22. 5th-beatle

Here's the rare fold down mono Brazilian edition of "All Things Must Pass", with the XEX matrix.

[​IMG]

DRM likes this.