Beatles Butcher Cover Limited Edition Lithographs

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Tone, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

are that a legit item?

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

My vote for the most butchered sentence in this listing's description:

Wow, they've already sold almost 60 copies (82 remain as of this writing).

Craig.

4. Tone

If Perry is selling it, it's legit. He has a very good rep. and is a heck of a nice guy too.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

you'd think my grammer in that sentence would have been better. mondays.....

6. Tone

I got you Phish........ As for Perry's 'grammer, a Simple typo in that sentence. Change be to beat and it reads fine.... I've worked with Perry in the past and he Really knows his Beatles stuff.

<< THIS ONE IS HARD TO BEAT AND IT IS INDEED, THE MOST LIMITED PRINT EVER DONE FOR THIS PROJECT BACK IN 1990! >>

7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thats cool. Now I have a decision to make. Buy this and frame it and sell my framed stereo butcher or just keep my stereo butcher.

I might just get it. I passed on the Box of Vision. Im sure Ill regret that.... but.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

johnny33 - that doesn't even sound like a decision -- If it is one or the other, by all means keep the original stereo butcher!

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nowhere in the listing or in the paragraph on the poster does it say this item was licensed by Apple or Capitol (it would probably have had to have been both by 1990). So I would assume this is no more "legitimate" than any poster of the Beatles that someone decided to print.

Without the official blessing of The Beatles/Capitol, I would consider this overpriced at $40.

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I would sure like to compare though. Apparently this guy has a great rep.. correct? If so, I cant see him selling some cheap looking knockoffs. Nah, I wouldnt sell my butcher. But the story underneath the litho is a nice touch.

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Perry's litho prints are very nice!!

12. Tone

Perhaps, but not just anyone would have access to the original color seperations.

"WERE PRINTED USING THE ORIGINAL 4 COLOR SEPARATIONS THAT WERE USED TO MAKE THE ORIGINAL ALBUM ISSUES"

That these are Limited Editions, offered and hand numbered by Perry Cox, does add some value........ But OTOH I see they haven't 'sold out'.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ill let you guys know. I ordered one. Ill compare it with my butcher.

14. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

You should not hesitate, these are quite nice, and absolutely the best way to put that iconic image on a wall. I bought a couple from Perry back in the early 90's, and this is a high-quality print, that really is suitable for framing. You can frame the whole print, as I did, or cut it down to artwork itself.

Looks like this ends today, so if you're thinking about it, stop thinking and just do it. (For 40 bucks, I just ordered a couple more - it is a great price.)

(I've got one of these framed, as well as prints of some of the other unused Y&T slicks - purple trunk cover, slanted blue trunk, white background (pre-fancy font) - and the late '70s GET BACK slick (Electrola-Apple, and much sharper than the Red and Blue albums).

Someone - whoever has the original artwork for SESSIONS - needs to do a high-quality litho of that unreleased Beatles album artwork. (Supposed on e-bay for $10k about 6 or 7 years ago.)

15. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

My review of this litho

I got mine in today. First the positives.. or positive. In comparing the litho with the original stereo butcher I have I would say the color and reproduction of the texture is really well done. The archive museum quality paper is fantastic also if not just a bit on the thin side ( a minor gripe). I also like the description down at the bottom. I had used a printed clipping framed below my butcher before this. Also, the thing shipped really fast.

Ok, now for the gripe. The banner that runs across the top were it says " new improved full dimensional stereo" is NOT lined up correctly with the rest of the album cover :sigh: Its off to the right.

Thats sloppy in my opinion. At least its that way on mine

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, when he shipped the litho it got dinged at one corner because he didnt put some tissue to keep the litho from sliding into the hard plastic. To be fair, if I decide to keep it, the frame will cover the ding. So not that big of a deal on that. Still I dont know why these guys dont put some soft tissue at each end when shipping. Ive had a few, including and expensive Hendrix flying eyeball poster, that have been dinged :mad:. Luckily the frame always covers it. But it knocks the investment return down.

So, while Im a little disappointed I will probably keep it because at a distance the misalligned banner will not be that noticable. But it is DEFINTELY noticable and sloppy work imo.

For 40 bucks this shouldnt be the case.

Im going to write the fellow though. Maybe its a fluke.

But for now be aware of the problem I mentioned if you are considering.

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Keep in mind, what you have is not the Apple-authorized fine art print of the album cover image as offered with the plate signatures, etc., but - even cooler in my opinion - a print from the original production artwork as supplied to the printer. Capitol's art department would have put together the final photo image with titles, then laid in the standard FD Stereo banner, and finally added the crop marks, to instruct the printer how to cut the printed sheets for assembly.

Assuming the print is directly from the 4-color separations delivered to the printer Barclay - which i believe is the case - this is exactly what would have come off their presses when printing the album cover slicks for LP jacket assembly. (I believe Barclay did all Capitol's printing for the West Coast, Queens Litho for East.) The "sloppy" offset of the banner would be outside the crop marks, so that the printed and cropped slick would be fine.

When you frame, you can either matte to include the printer markings (much more desireable in my opinioni) or matte more tightly just to the crop marks (which effectively gives you a high-quality LP cover). I matted the whole print with two cutouts - one for the artwork, including all printer's marks, and one for the story below.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While this may make this interesting and improve the quality of the print over a "photograph the cover and make a poster" bootleg, this is, in fact, an unauthorized reproduction and is, in fact, nothing more or less than the poster equivalent of a bootleg. It's EXACTLY the same as a boot made from a master tape surreptitiously loaned to make the boot. It doesn't make the boot uninteresting, but in terms of collectability, it's nothing more or less than a bootleg.

As such, I would continue to assert that $40 is a pretty large sum for a bootleg, unauthorized print. Buy it if you like it, but don't consider it in any way as an investment--it's just a nice poster...

19. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I guess that's why they have menus.

So, just to be sure I've qualified properly to everyone's satisfaction ... for those of us who collect unreleased cover art, or all things Beatles, this is pretty cool, rather significant, and offered at a reasonable price for a high-quality "un-authorized" print.

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up I was ignorant about this. I feel better about my purchase now. Sorry that I kind of jumped to a conclusion there.

21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

You can even go to Spizer's book if you have (Capitol Story, Part 2) and on page 133 you'll see a close-up of the Stereo banner on the slick, with the troublesome offset.

The biggest issue with this litho is deciding how to matte and frame it.

(BTW, my note above was in error - BertCo was the west coast printer for the album slicks, Barclay did the color separations.)

22. Tone

And a rare one, that can't be duplicated like an audio boot.

I can't agree with your assesment of it's value. The "Boot" factor may make it even more valuable, especially coming from one of the top Beatles' Experts in the world, Perry Cox, hand numbered, high quality limited edition 150 copies printed.

Perry is also careful with his reputation, so I doubt this is a true Boot, that Capitol has any real complaints about.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If Perry Cox autographed your collection of Beatles albums, would they be more valuable? No.

Sorry, in the end he may be a Beatles expert, but this is still a bootleg poster. Enjoy it if you want, and buy it if you want. You can easily pay $40 for a high quality art print of the classics, and this isn't any different. But when you buy a high quality art print, you aren't expecting price appreciation, and I would opine the same is true here. You buy it because you want it on your wall.

The four color separations for the cover obviously still exist, and some day someone could, with the blessing of Capitol and Apple, produce an official poster. It might be exactly the same, sans Cox's signature. But if it was produced as a limited edition then THAT poster would be, presumably, collectible. Provenance is everything in there matters. In fact, a low quality reproduction poster issued in the same quantity, but through Apple/Capitol, would be a lot more valuable. That's just the way it is.

24. Tone

Lot of ifs, mights, coulds, and woulds, but for now, these are the only prints of this kind, and worth owning IMO. I doubt that Apple will ever authorize a print from the original 4-color seps. of this Butcher cover as Perry is offering here. But they might. :)

25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So....I guess you're not getting one?

:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.