Beatles Capitol Albums...Actually Pretty Good??!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by batdude98, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You Like Me Too Much on Beatles VI is the same mix that appears on the UK Help! stereo LP. Only it sounds worse.

2. Revoxy

Revoxy Forum Resident

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A precise, yet detailed answer. Thanks!

john lennonist likes this.
  4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fair...I'm mostly familiar with Help! in mono, so maybe that made a difference, plus mastering moves I've never heard before.

I also have liked "Tell Me What You See" since I first heard it on Side 2, whereas most people don't seem to care for it, so maybe my ears are odd.

Upsiditus likes this.
  5. batdude98

US Capitol stereo mix contained on the 2004 CD box "The Capitol Albums, Vol. 1" -- is it just the Beatles For Sale stereo mix mastered by a different team/engineer?

6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

As a European, although I'm attached to the original double EP and the 1967 stand-alone singles, I find the U.S. Capitol MMT tracklisting to be excellent, and it really works as an album. :righton:
    The other Capitol Beatles album ? Not so much.

I'm amazed at the instrumental adaptations in Help and AHDN, though. :)

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

MMT is the best album Capitol ever made! It's the only one that trumps the UK version.

tables_turning likes this.
  8. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Wonderful! When I listen to the earlier material, it’s usually the Capitol albums. They are the ones I grew up with. Whenever I listen to a UK album, I still think about what the next song would be on the US version.

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Before I had any Beatles albums, my friend had Meet the Beatles! with the original Capitol label. When I got Meet the Beatles! in 1974, I was surprised to see an Apple label.

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

All of the albums I started acquiring from 1974 onward have the Apple label, except The Early Beatles and Sgt Pepper’s. They feature the orange Capitol. At the time, I was disappointed.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Yes, they are pretty good - even better than that in some cases. I moved on to the British LPs in the 1980s, but I still revisit the Capitol records from time to time.

They introduced me to the group and have sentimental value for me.

musicfan37 and john lennonist like this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I agree, and I love the way "Girl" follows "It's Only Love" in the same key (but minor instead of major). Was it a happy accident or did someone at Capitol grow some ears?

13. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

a few in my life bought Beatles import album from Japan and Germany in the early 80s, never saw the reason why

all my imports were current New Wave acts

the butchered Capitol albums are treasured and still in the memory banks, but the switch to the UK with CDs is just as treasured

and we got advances on songs on the UK Revolver :D

14. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

B4S with that hit single A&B sides replacing filler

the best of that era!

15. batdude98

Cool to hear the remembrances and perspectives from everybody!

Was first intrigued a while ago, but I thought there was too much duplication, as I've heard the unique mixes before.

However, lately I have been watching/listening to American tour footage (Ed Sullivan, Shea, Hollywood Bowl, etc.) and wanted to sort of immerse myself in how American fans absorbed this marvelous music...interesting alternative.

Makes me want to invest in the Spizer books and Chuck Gunderson's "Some Fun Tonight!" series of tomes now...

notesfrom, musicfan37 and DK Pete like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's really hard to say...we can even ask about the overall Capitol version of Rubber Soul. Did they intentionally pick and choose more acoustic tracks to make it more of a 'wooden' flavored album (as David Crosby might say) or did it just kind of work out that way..?? We'll never really know because even if anyone from those days at Capitol was around to respong to this, they'd probably go with the "it was intentional" story, regardless.

Folknik likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Does this exist as a poster or some kind of "suitable-for-framing" picture??? Surely belongs on my Wall(s) of Beatles.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's gotta be...I have to double check the Spizer books to see if that's even pictured.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'd add The Beatles Beat from Germany...the track selection is *very* representative of Beatlemania and oddly, features the Dexterized versions of the songs.

john lennonist and Library Eye like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Help! may have its' shortcomings mix-wise in some spots but Revolver is really a whole other animal and can't be compared, sonically, to either of those two, IMO. To Geoff Emerick's credit, a lot of experimentation went into its' production and unfortunately, the four track setup didn't do all of it justice, often resulting in some clutter and "dirt". One can only imagine how much better Revolver would have sounded if they had 8 tracks available to them at that time

21. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Wonderful books!

DK Pete likes this.
  22. neil

neil Senior Member

Would really love for Capitol to remaster the original US releases. Its what I grew up listening to and I believe are much better compilations of their music.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  23. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

The track shuffling on US Beatles LPs actually works on Rubber Soul. For most folks, the lead-off track sets the tone for the rest of the album. Drive My Car says "This is going to be a Rock & Roll record." I've Just Seen A Face says "This is going to be a reflective acoustic record." I do miss If I Needed Someone though.

Where it doesn't work is Revolver. The absence of the three John songs makes the US Revolver into more of a "Paul & George" album, with McCartney having five lead vocals and Harrison three to Lennon's two. On the UK it's more evenly balanced between J & P.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For years, I had wish sometone would put out a book (or two) that went into depth concerning the American album, the xovers, the record label variations, etc. It was a nice little dream come true when Spizer came out with these. Beautifully done and engagingly written. His "The Beatles Are Coming" which accounts for everything that built up to thier first trip here is both informative and absorbing.

musicfan37 likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think a lot of this depends on whether or not one had heard the UK Revolver. If one is used to *that* one and then gets to hear the Capitol version of the album, I can see how it would be a letdown. But for those who didn't know any better at the time, this is not necessarily the case. I first heard the Capitol Revolver in December of 1968 (I had just turned 11). At this time I had no idea whatsoever of a UK version. I can clearly remember acknowledging to myself that there were "only" two John songs on the entire album. But In my uninformed young little mind, I didn't see this as a deficit. I saw it more so as John being a "stepping-back" quieter leader with the two best songs on the album. This, to me, made SSSS and TNK stand out even MORE than they do on the UK version and in some ways, made it an even stronger album.